RANT: What would you do?
Jul 3, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 37
He's probably the same kind of sleezy tech who cons people into thinking certain services / repairs / what-not cost X amount, but he can do them off the books for a smaller cash amount, even if he's actually supposed to do it anyways as part of the service call. I'd report him, 'cause you're far from the first or last he'll do this to, Miguel.

He might not even necessarily be able to get you the full refund for it either, but just plans to take the money and run, since you'd never see him again and you'd have to admit to attempting to cheat the company if you wanted to complain at that point.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not let the guy repair it under the warranty? That's what you're entitled to and what's fair.

I would contact the retailer/insurer and tell them about the repairman's offer, too.

x2 on the good advice.

he certainly made an attempt to defraud the store...

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely report this guy. Who knows how many people this guy has screwed over. If some other customer before you had the balls to turn the guy in, then you wouldn't have to deal with him.

Agreed, grow some balls (so to speak
tongue.gif
) and report him. People like this are generally to weak to do anything. I've done it to a builder before, and casued him to lose a lot of business somehow, but managed to make him absolutly terrified of me without even trying.

It's like when the big bully at school went after you and you mekly slap/punch him and he gets all teary eyed.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 37
People respond differently to being reported. If you had actually met the guy, then you would have been able to get a read on his personality. Reporting him would help other people out, yes, but be wary.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 37
lol id take the deal. Man hes letting you get $500 for a new TV. Your TV now isnt worth $500, lol you can get a 42 samsung plasma for under a G. For the added features (did your tosh have HDMI), and better picture why not.
Now if your a party pooper then go tell on him, but really hes not screwing you at all just the store.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People respond differently to being reported. If you had actually met the guy, then you would have been able to get a read on his personality. Reporting him would help other people out, yes, but be wary.

He won't know who reported him if he does this at every call. I suspect this wasn't the first time he's made this offer.

If you're afraid of retaliation, wait a couple weeks. The guy won't have any idea.

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #22 of 37
^^^ Evil Ideas.. But seriously, report him. I would too if I had a TV and I was over 20... Yeah, I'm sure if you report him, you'll remain anonymous so go for it.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #23 of 37
I would report the guy! Maybe you'll even get some sort of reward from the store for reporting "a bug"!

It happened to me before, I reported a "staff problem"(cought one of the employees stealing) in a retail store in Lisbon and reported him on a phone call with a supervisor. A few weeks after I got a 50€ voucher to spend in the store.

Jul 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think? What would you do?

I'd rant, just like you. I would suggest you make your next purchase from a highly respected high end dealer in your city. Pay full price and get the terrific you service. It's worth it.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #25 of 37
Personally I wouldn't report him, but I wouldn't take him up on his offer either.

I tend to be pretty lenient I guess, although chances are fairly good I'd have ranted about it and been pissed off as well.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol id take the deal. Man hes letting you get $500 for a new TV. Your TV now isnt worth $500, lol you can get a 42 samsung plasma for under a G. For the added features (did your tosh have HDMI), and better picture why not.

Because it's fraud. It's unethical, and illegal.

Quote:

Now if your a party pooper then go tell on him, but really hes not screwing you at all just the store.

Nice. It's people like you who drive up prices for the rest of us.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 37
Yep, but most don't think like that. They just complain about the prices whilst bieng part of the cause (and not just in the supply and demand sense).

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 37
Report him.

For all you know he's giving you a bullshiat answer anyway.

It could be all you need is a convergence tweek. Unfortunately you probably have to pull the back of the set off to get to the pots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back