Ranking Top IEM's
Mar 16, 2009 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

GabeJacobs

New Head-Fier
So I thought it would be a pretty cool thing if Head-Fi could have a ranking of the top 20/10 IEM's contributed by completely user base. I think there should be a voting system of some kind where you rank your top 10/20 and it is put into the system. The average vote will be the outcome. I think the administrators should think about this and if you all agree that this would be cool, say so in this thread.

For now, comment off with your top 10 or so. Your choices should not be based on price, just pure quality. I'll give mine, but I definitely do not know nearly as much about these headphones as most of you.

1. UE-11
2. UE-10
3. Shure SE530
4. Westone 3
5. Sennheiser IE8
6. Triple.fi 10
7. Etymotic ER•4
8. Audeo PFE
9. Westone UM2
10. Sennheiser IE7

These are objectionable. Some may think others are better than others just because of the kind of style they like. But that is okay, say exactly what you think!

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 85
Be sure to add the ACS T2 up there
smile.gif

The ones I've listened to:

1)ACS T2
2)Shure E500
3)Shure E4c
4)CX300
5)Sony MDR-EX71

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by GabeJacobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude you have spend a lot of money on phones..anyway here is my ranking

I don't have all of these I just am going off of what I read online and such.

then honestly, i dont think you should rank them... You should know what they sound like before you can rank them. Just because someone says that something is good doesn't mean it has to be. Some people say Skullcandy sucks. But I disagree, the sound awesome..

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 85
So once all the responses are recorded and a final ranking is produced, what do we do with that information?

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 85
Too many variables for any realistic comparison.

Apart from personal preferences there's the issue of other equipment and equipment synergy with the IEM to consider.

I now only hold onto Livewires T1s and Ety ER4Ps. Both recabled with Piccolino. Both delightful sound signatures but the Etys rule with this recable.

But my perspective is I always use them amped.

Obviously YMMV.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 85
Since I ony have only 1 mid level IEMs, here is my ranking...

1) PFEs

That's it... enough.. or here is my top 3.

1) PFEs + D10
2) PFEs + Nuforce IM
3) PFEs

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #14 of 85
^ Agree
smily_headphones1.gif
... But at certain level, a good IEMs will show it's value... Example: compare a good IEMs to IEMs/buds which comes with DAPs? Is the anyone thinks that the default IEMs/buds are better than even the entry level IEMs, example NE-7Ms?

Today, I likes PFEs very much,... who knows, might be it will change in several months or years.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too many variables for any realistic comparison.

Apart from personal preferences there's the issue of other equipment and equipment synergy with the IEM to consider.

x2

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I love my IE8s, but haven't heard other top IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back