Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
May 9, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #856 of 868
I tried a few DAPs recently

1. Shanling M9+
2. Ibasso DX300Max
3. AK SE300/Hiby RS8
4. Cayin N3
5. FiiO M17
6. Hiby RS6 (not sure is it some dud here)

May 16, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #857 of 868
1. LP TI 99
2. LPGT TI
3. Sony Wm1z npaudio

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #859 of 868
Jun 12, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #861 of 868
I hope some user show me comparison:)
I was so happy with the stock software, that I didn't see any point in changing it. I wish I could help with that.

Jun 12, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #863 of 868
Anyone have tried the dmp z1,cayin n30le and dx320max?
I own the 320 max and I really like it,maybe the sound is a bit too reference and -not less emotional,but zero emphasized,it gives you back as raw natural tone as possible-and maybe I would like also to hear other flagship dap
320M walked the line for me as well and I did consider going back to a 300M but I've had it modified by NP Audio and after a lengthy break in, I can confidently say it's the best portable source I've used to date (I've had many!), caveat being that I only use Storm with it. Can't recommend the mod highly enough for those who have similar thoughts about stock 320M.

I've had DMP Z1, nothing alike, in terms of sound and usability vs MAX. I've not owned or heard N30LE, last cayin for me was N8ii.

Jun 12, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #866 of 868
320M walked the line for me as well and I did consider going back to a 300M but I've had it modified by NP Audio and after a lengthy break in, I can confidently say it's the best portable source I've used to date (I've had many!), caveat being that I only use Storm with it. Can't recommend the mod highly enough for those who have similar thoughts about stock 320M.

I've had DMP Z1, nothing alike, in terms of sound and usability vs MAX. I've not owned or heard N30LE, last cayin for me was N8ii.

How do you rate N8ii vs stock 320M?

Jun 12, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #867 of 868

N8ii competes well vs 320 Ma had both around for testing, picked N8ii.

N8ii has smaller left to right stage, but its bit deeper than 320 Max, its bit less resolving (we are talking about couple percent resolution). What sets N8ii ahead for me is the less neutral reference tuning. Its slightly warmer, has more punch is more incisive and has less treble spikes, overall its more analogue sounding with more soul compared to DX320 Ti especially with tubes on.

Jun 12, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #868 of 868

N8ii I felt like I was constantly changing gain, class, tubes etc depending on what source material was playing. Really liked N8ii but probably more so technicals rather than tone which was always a bit of a chew to get dialled in. At the time it was mostly paired with Jewel which then ended up paired with WM1Z2 and I used Red Halo with N8ii, mostly on tube mode.

I rebought 300M when Storm arrived for the additional driving power and am now on 320M as I think ROHM brings a lot to the party, it's just not come out in a DAP with the right flavour yet.

320M is not perfect and like N8ii the upper registers are quite prominent (lower-mid treble particularly for me) unlike AKM which I've been a fan of for years (I also like AD chips in seperates) but it's got the ibasso house sound down low which I dig. Mids walk the line for me and could be a bit thicker.

Spun the dice with modding it and it's far exceeding expectations tbh. It's sounding substantially better (to my ears / preference) than stock max (300 or 320) and N8ii (on any setting you choose). It's like going from old school class D from 15-20 years ago to good class A, all with the technical chops that ROHM brings along. Massive grin factor right now and getting huge enjoyment out of it, very happy the dust has settled like it has. If it was still stock, I'd probably be looking to go back to 300M (SS) and mod or have a nosey at N30LE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back