Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Aug 2, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #226 of 857
dmp is the most extreme dap ever created lol. You simply need a pouch to carry it around or a male purse lmao with gold hangers haha

Equally pointless as you may as well just get a dedicated desktop player at a fraction of the price. A DAP by nature needs to be portable, not transportable. I get where Sony was going, isolating the power delivery...

Is what it is desktop player with a pure DC power source. Same as other OEM's offering similar transportable solutions that are mostly designed to eliminate AC noise. As ever dont get hooked up on the details, It's all about the music the rest is incidental...

Q-6

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #228 of 857
By Sony, correct? That is not a dap...it weighs 5.5 lbs. It is huge. Probably nice though. Tks.
DAP is by definition, Digital Audio Player, yes...DMP Z1 is a DAP.

People associate DAP with something portable because the kind of DMP Z1 was never created.

Now, DMP Z1 is not portable, or it can be, depends on your definitions and practical needs. But if talking about only and restricted to Portable Player, then DMP is not portable.

However, the Op of the thread never mentioned if it gotta be Portable or not :). Fair game

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #229 of 857
I don’t know if it was, probably is, but TA is a desktop DaC/amp. DMP is a signature series and is a stand alone Player for headphones, so the DMP is totally categorized as a DAP or Digital Audio Player. Whether it is portable or not is never in the thread question title :wink:
Semantics. We mean DAP for mobile use. But you have a point. But then the DCS Bartok which can take a thumb drive and also streams is also a contender. I’ll take the Bartok over it easily. But that is not really what everyone else has been discussing. Tks.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #230 of 857
Semantics. We mean DAP for mobile use. But you have a point. But then the DCS Bartok which can take a thumb drive and also streams is also a contender. I’ll take the Bartok over it easily. But that is not really what everyone else has been discussing. Tks.
DCS Bartok has a touch screen and battery and so on ? Well, ok, I don’t know about that piece. But I am free to state my opinions. So I did , and according to the Thread article

No one said DMP is not possible to be Mobilized either. It just depends on what you are willing to do and go.

There is also another player that I have yet to heard any others that can do better (pocketable sizes). The Ibasso DX220Max. Smaller than DMP, powerful, not on the same tier of DMP , but leave many things in smokes, including sp2000 and wm1Z

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #231 of 857
DCS Bartok has a touch screen and battery and so on ? Well, ok, I don’t know about that piece. But I am free to state my opinions. So I did , and according to the Thread article

No one said DMP is not possible to be Mobilized either. It just depends on what you are willing to do and go.

There is also another player that I have yet to heard any others that can do better (pocketable sizes). The Ibasso DX220Max. Smaller than DMP, powerful, not on the same tier of DMP , but leave many things in smokes, including sp2000 and wm1Z
DX220 looks more like a DAP to me.

On the Sony. Is there a need for it? I believe one of my home audio mags had even talked about it. Is there a need for a dac/amp that can function as a DAP but be stationary? I get that you can move it, but you can also connect your laptop, dap etc to any portable DAC. Or is this their best DAC and they just added in the other functions for convenience? Tks.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #232 of 857
P6 is my personal favorite now with IEM as I would rank it higher than Max. There is so much spaces between bass and treble making it so organically airy.
The clarity is unsurpassed and the bass is so deep and well defined. The best I heard from portable on Solaris. Sure the Max sounded so good when I first got it
but didn't move further. I will remember the Max as a boring Mr. perfect.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #233 of 857
What about the best ultra portable DAP?

I have a N6ii+E02, which I really like, but looking for an on the go solution for the MMR Thummim I am getting tomorrow.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #234 of 857
For those of you who like stacking I have one of the best amps for sale, the Vorzuge Amp Duo, please check my sale

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #235 of 857
So where does the FiiO m15 rank among the best DAP's?

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #238 of 857
Apologies, but other then my friends 1z I have no experience with DAPs. Do you have a fav YouTube channel to watch that I can learn more and figure out which to buy.

Primary Wants.... WiFi, Tidal/Qobuz capability, ideally iTunes, ideally Amazon HD music.

Secondary... Probably not a huge brick sized one.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #239 of 857
The iBasso DX160, Fiio M11 and Shanling M6 are android based for around US$4-500.
Cheaper options are available with compromises and more expensive options with potentially better performance.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #240 of 857
When I will have some time I will update my list, enough to say that I sold the Cayin n8, the 4.4 on cayin sound like Acoustic research ar-m2 but not quite there, I still like the pairing Jh audio Roxanne with Acoustic research ar-m2 better than everything else, so I guess it is all about synergy. The sound of the tubes on cayin sound nice but now I have the Ibasso DX200 with Amp 9 and if you only have iems that are not very sensitive the sound is almost identical with Cayin, the Cayin has the advantage of having more power and less hissing on the tubes. I don't miss the Cayin n8 at all because the user interface is very bad for such an expensive device.
My list updated is like this
1. Acoustic research ar-m2 with Jh audio Roxanne
2. Calyx M ( It just have a special sound)
3. Cayin n8 ( two nice implementation, good if you only want one device)
4. Ibasso DX200 with Amp 9
5. Cayin N6II with T01
6. Sony wm1a
7. Astell kern ak380
.... I am too lazy to add more right now
I didn't have the chance to try the new Hiby or Ibasso but I am at a point where I realized that for my listening preference it is going to be hard to find a better sound than the combination of Acoustic research ar-m2 with Jh audio Roxanne performance series
I don't know if I mentioned or not, I listen mostly metal music at loud volumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back