Rank all the headphones you own + with descriptions -> don't type a paragraph
Apr 25, 2021 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

500+ Head-Fier
Do NOT tell others their rankings are incorrect or try to flex you know more about headphones or amps or the Vatican papacy that someone so they have to listen or you feel it needs to be corrected for others to see... However feel free to post sad faces, funny comments of dismay or even fuax anger (in good fun don't be a jerk if someone calls you out) on others rankings... This is a more involved thread with descriptions and encouraging some emotion as long as it is general in good fun or civil DO NOT BE RUDE so you can react to peoples lists and more importantly people can see others reactions to their lists or some of their ranking choices... and of course talk about it and hopefully find a new awesome headphone to buy and have fun.

Another Banger Thread, this will be easier for people like me who have all their cans in their sig
Feel free to type a sentence or two to comment on the ranking but leave out the paragraphs
you can also add things like (with EQ) (with bass boost) (with X) and dual rank a headphone if it fits into 2 slots
Doesn't have to be strictly on sound quality you can use any parameters you want for example for sound the M570 and Sundara beat mobius but I rank it higher

above all- M1570 with iFi Xbass + 3d
1 M1570
2 DT1990
3 Audeze Mobius
4 M570
5 Sundara
6 modded DT990
7 Anker Q30
8 6XX
9 BT 8323
10 Mxcder E10
11 Modern Retro
12 Taotronics Soundsurge 46

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
Z906Galaxy Buds Pro

also you can rate your amps if you want even though this is headphone forum no judgement zone

1 Zen CAN + iPower
2 Bas X A-100
3 Fiio A5

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 34
By sound quality:
1 LCD-4
2 Drop Panda
3 KSC-35 Bluetooth
4 HifiMan HE-560
5 Howard Lieght stereo work earmuffs

By use:
1 LCD-4
2 KSC-35 Bluetooth (For the gym and youtubing around the house.)
10 Drop Panda (If I need closed/portable.)
12 Stero earmuffs (mowing or snow-blowing)
25 HE-560 (Collecting dust under the TV. I should get rid of them.)

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 34
By sound quality:
1 LCD-4
2 Drop Panda
3 KSC-35 Bluetooth
4 HifiMan HE-560
5 Howard Lieght stereo work earmuffs

By use:
1 LCD-4
2 KSC-35 Bluetooth (For the gym and youtubing around the house.)
10 Drop Panda (If I need closed/portable.)
12 Stero earmuffs (mowing or snow-blowing)
25 HE-560 (Collecting dust under the TV. I should get rid of them.)
3 KSC-35 Bluetooth
4 HifiMan HE-560

oh god that is ice cold, guessing they are the V4's I almost got suckered with the "$900 MSRP" haha.... oh Hifiman stop nerfing and unloading your headphones

I can already tell this thread is going to be a juicy bit of reality where expensive headphones will be getting slapped down left and right... not for the faint of pokcetbook, people will get upset about there purchases for sure....

off to a fantastic start

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 34
1. Focal Clear
2. Audeze Sine DX
3. Sennheiser HD600
4. Audio Technica ATH-WP900
5. Grado GH1
6. Grado Hemp
7. Aeon 2 Noire
8. Audeze Mobius
9. Sennheiser HD650
10. Turbulent X Grado build
11. Meze 99 Classic
12. Drop THX Panda

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 34
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 34
very similar with one key difference
"My goal here is to have a positive outlook ranking, not a product bashing list. "
but honestly not an issue if this one gets shut down and I am sure it will be brought up again so no hate to you sir it's clearly my fault for making them to similiar..
but yeah I will change the OP post some to differentiate the two threads as this one is the barnyard brawler version

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 34
Headphones - By usage / enjoyment:

1. HD800S - my daily driver, eventually will add tone controls for adding bass - sound wonderful with a tube amp.
2. HD600 - a classic.
3. HD650 - something warmer, good for vocals, sounds better imo on my SS amps.
4. HD700 - my least favorite - like a baby brother of HD800S with sharpness that gave me a headache. Good for some orchestral music - HD800S do most things better imo.

Amps:

1. Lyr 3 - easy to tube roll - so much power, works with any headphone
2. Asgard 2 - one of the best SS Class A amps for under $250 (aside from Asgard 3 😏 )
3. Mjolnir 2 - barely distinguishable from Lyr 3 - purchased for balanced options, may eventually sell

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 34
By sound quality (for now) :

1. ADX-5000 (best for female vocal)
2. HD800 - newer serial number 25xxx or above, more warmer than the old one (best for gaming, or such ochresta song)
3. Elear (Dynamic so great, i liked it, even it less detail than two above, use it for all around listening)

By usage (for now) :

1. Elear (mostly for dap and portable usage and top 50 listening sometimes for gaming)
2. ADX-5000 (for critical listening or vocal enjoyment)
3. HD800 (for gaming and watching movies mostly)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 34
Headphones - By usage / enjoyment:

1. HD800S - my daily driver, eventually will add tone controls for adding bass - sound wonderful with a tube amp.
2. HD600 - a classic.
3. HD650 - something warmer, good for vocals, sounds better imo on my SS amps.
4. HD700 - my least favorite - like a baby brother of HD800S with sharpness that gave me a headache. Good for some orchestral music - HD800S do most things better imo.

Amps:

1. Lyr 3 - easy to tube roll - so much power, works with any headphone
2. Asgard 2 - one of the best SS Class A amps for under $250 (aside from Asgard 3 😏 )
3. Mjolnir 2 - barely distinguishable from Lyr 3 - purchased for balanced options, may eventually sell
respect the loyalty with a cheeky mini HD800 thrown in (DT880 600ohm)

May 6, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 34
Grado GH2's. My favourite headphone. Mids for miles.

Focal Elex's. I love these just behind the Grado's. W-shaped sound at its best, IMO.

CFA Cascade's. Bass for miles! The bassy closed back that I searched for, for years

Senn HD660's. Nice, transparent and pretty neutral.

Audio Technica ATH-WP900's. My newest headphones. Beautiful and the most V-shaped headphone ever. BASSY.

Hifiman Drop Edition XX's. Big soundstage and great bass.

Fostex T60RP's (currently vacationing in Pennsylvania). These impressed me for the price. But I want to hear the Argon.

Audeze LCD-2 Classic's. Recent purchase that I still run hot and cold on. Depends on the music and the amp.

Beyer DT880's (600OHM). Nice sound, but a little bright. Need a ton of power to sound their best.

Senn HD6XX's. Second time owning these. Just bought them for the tube amp.

For amps I have:
1) Little Dot MKIII. Lots of tubey fun. FAR from neutral. Adjustable gain offers lots of flexibility.

2) Monoprice Liquid Platinum. Hybrid amp does does not sound very tubey. I Love it. Better for higher impedance headphones via XLR cable.

3) Violectriic V220. Amazing amp has lots of power and adjustable gain. Works with anything. Only does SE out. My favourite.

4) My newest addition is the iFi ICAN Pro. This a solid state AND tube amp. So far I am loving this amp. Only got it this week. Tons of power and features.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 34
This is tough...

1. Focal Utopia - sounds great, comfortable, works with any amp and sensitive enough for mobile setup.
2. Hifiman Arya - Love the tone, sound stage, comfortable and I usually prefer planar.
3. Abyss Diana V2 - If just based on sound then above the Arya but that depends on amp. Seems to perform better with my higher end gear. Fit is "different" but still pretty comfortable although not as good as some of my others.
4. Abyss 1266 TC Phi - sounds great but I need a full rack to drive, not the most comfortable. Wife loves to make fun of me when I'm wearing it. :)
5. Focal Radiance - Sound quality not in the same league as the others above but a decent HP.
6. Hifiman Sundara - for the price it's great, but the others are just better in my mind
7. Meze Classic 99 - good.

My Hifiman HE 1000SE are coming in tomorrow so list will get shuffled up. I have high hopes.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 34
@Shane D quite an upside down with the Elex last for pricing! great ranking!..

also I love my iFi Zen CAN!!! those 3d/bass buttons are AMAZABALLS

This is tough...

1. Focal Utopia - sound great, comfortable, works with any amp and sensitive enough for mobile setup.
2. Hifiman Arya - Love the tone and I usually prefer planar.
3. Abyss Diana V2 - Depending on amp this will rank higher than the Arya. Seems to perform better with my higher end gear.
4. Abyss 1266 TC Phi - sounds great but I need a full rack to drive, not the most comfortable. Wife loves to make fun of me when I'm wearing it. :)
5. Focal Radiance - Sound quality not in the same league as the others above but a decent HP.
6. Hifiman Sundara - for the price it's great, but the others are just better in my mind
7. Meze Classic 99 - good.

My Hifiman HE 1000SE are coming in tomorrow so list will get shuffled up. I have high hopes.
wow please update when you get the HE1000SE! you have some heavy hitters and seeing the 1266 last among those 4 says a lot about the Diana, the Arya and Utopia or even Clear are hard to beat but damn!

May 7, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 34
Yeah, I wasn't grading based on sound quality alone hence the weird tiering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back