Random Thoughts (Audio Related)
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #31 of 340
End game is where I’m at, it just means you are done. Utility reached no need to spend more or try new things. It’s not something you need to declare nor something to convince yourself. You will know it when you are there and ignorance can be bliss

Fascinating discussion! Is there ever an end game or TOTL (before ashes to ashes, dust to dust)? It seems to me that the real issue is whether we chase the illusive or we discipline ourselves and/opt for elective ignorance.

I admire those who can remain disciplined so as to choose to ignore the latest driver combinations and sound or simply ignore the visual appeal of some of the gear. Much though I tell myself to be disciplined, I fall on the side of the ill-disciplined, the "collector" or so I tell myself. I am still trying to resist the temptation to collect and aim for that illusive sound. In the meantime, I assure myself that I am a collector, which indeed I am, but to what end.

On the other hand, I must say, sitting down to listen to music on my open-back planar Blon B20, which is so detailed that it feels like, I sit at attention to listen to each note and take in everything to the point that it is a bit demanding. Alternatively, I pick up the byrilium Blon B08 (no, I promise, I am not a Blon fanboy) which is so musical that I get lost in the harmony, just drift between memories the particular track evokes, or other pleasant thoughts, or just fall asleep because the headphones make no demands of me.

BUT, the over ear headphones are too hot for the summer or any length of listening time, so I get the the Pizen DLC for some DEEP BASS, the T4 to give me some treble time or TRI I3 "ear speakers", because my wife and daughter don't want to hear my music on the Q Acoustics speakers.

Oh! It is now time to get the best deals, so I get more, there are multiple drivers or, no, a single DD that puts all the multi-drivers to shame....and source, Fiio, Shanling...on and on it goes, making excuses to get more and more gear and eventually save up for the TOTL, as determined by cost not necessarily by value or sound quality, or deluding myself that I can discipline myself enough to get the endgame and stick to it.

My confession is, despite the obvious delusion that I am going for this bit of sonic pleasure or that bit of timbre, I am enjoying the ride and ultimately I am enjoying my music and dream of the day when I stop chasing the illusive and instead settle for what I have.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #32 of 340
There’s nothing wrong in chasing the dragon. The chase itself becomes the reward. But don’t ignore the wow you already enjoy. I was asked to participate in 1 of the manufacturer I own new model upgrade tours, that’s when I realized the jig is up, more isn’t necessarily better ( spec wise) and to disregard multiple peoples interpretation of night and day upgrade.
that doesn’t mean that there are not benefits in the chain to be had. I got a complementary upgrade server that truly was an upgrade.
so yes differentiate between personal OCD and trying new things for the pleasure of that itself. If you are addicted to collecting, well your on your own, hope you have lots of cash.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #33 of 340
I think whether an end-game exists is completely subjective. I know that one does NOT exist for me, in that I cannot imagine any one product that is completely satisfying for every type of music. The closest IEM for me is the Legacy 3. I like variety, and again, I would be completely satisfied if I could only have the IEMs/HPs that I currently own. But if I have the opportunity, I’m still gonna wanna see what else is out there. The realization that there is no one perfect product for me, and the realization that I have been getting so much enjoyment from IEMs like the <$30 BL03, have been liberating. I’m not pursuing the TOTL multi-kilo buck IEMs, b/c that’s not really where my passion is at. I’m of course not excluding the possibility of getting one, if I can afford one and justify purchasing it. And there is nothing wrong with getting a $3,000 IEM if it’s what you truly enjoy.

With those that have found their “end-game”, and are completely content with what they have, I don’t believe ignorance is a prerequisite. I believe they really may have found their ideal equipment, and fully enjoy their music, and are not missing out on anything. I also believe that some can achieve it for <$100, depending on what they find important. Also, as many others have mentioned, and end-game item doesn’t need to have been invented within the past decade.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #34 of 340
Don’t knock ignorance I use it as a tool. Why would I try a 15-20 g dac? Just to find out I want it. I’d buy it outright if I cared. So I don’t feel bad at all not testing that pp to find out

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #35 of 340
Don’t knock ignorance I use it as a tool. Why would I try a 15-20 g dac? Just to find out I want it. I’d buy it outright if I cared. So I don’t feel bad at all not testing that pp to find out

I guess it’s semantics then, because what you may call ignorance (being bliss), I actually would consider self-realization (you genuinely don’t care, and are truly content). :thumbsup:

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #36 of 340
There’s nothing wrong in chasing the dragon. The chase itself becomes the reward. But don’t ignore the wow you already enjoy. I was asked to participate in 1 of the manufacturer I own new model upgrade tours, that’s when I realized the jig is up, more isn’t necessarily better ( spec wise) and to disregard multiple peoples interpretation of night and day upgrade.
that doesn’t mean that there are not benefits in the chain to be had. I got a complementary upgrade server that truly was an upgrade.
so yes differentiate between personal OCD and trying new things for the pleasure of that itself. If you are addicted to collecting, well your on your own, hope you have lots of cash.

I can assure you, my commentary is intended to be a satirical reflection of the chase rather than someone crying for help or someone who is loaded. You need not worry about me.

As I stated, "I enjoy the ride" and I can assure you I am not pushing myself over my limits, like you I consider the hobby rewarding, I enjoy listening to my music.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #37 of 340
I guess it’s semantics then, because what you may call ignorance (being bliss), I actually would consider self-realization (you genuinely don’t care, and are truly content). :thumbsup:
I agree entirely, the use of terms like "ignorance" sometimes get fixed, I think electing to "ignore" is a disciplined "ignorance" therefore it is not disparaging.

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #38 of 340
I think whether an end-game exists is completely subjective. I know that one does NOT exist for me, in that I cannot imagine any one product that is completely satisfying for every type of music. The closest IEM for me is the Legacy 3. I like variety, and again, I would be completely satisfied if I could only have the IEMs/HPs that I currently own. But if I have the opportunity, I’m still gonna wanna see what else is out there. The realization that there is no one perfect product for me, and the realization that I have been getting so much enjoyment from IEMs like the <$30 BL03, have been liberating. I’m not pursuing the TOTL multi-kilo buck IEMs, b/c that’s not really where my passion is at. I’m of course not excluding the possibility of getting one, if I can afford one and justify purchasing it. And there is nothing wrong with getting a $3,000 IEM if it’s what you truly enjoy.

With those that have found their “end-game”, and are completely content with what they have, I don’t believe ignorance is a prerequisite. I believe they really may have found their ideal equipment, and fully enjoy their music, and are not missing out on anything. I also believe that some can achieve it for <$100, depending on what they find important. Also, as many others have mentioned, and end-game item doesn’t need to have been invented within the past decade.
I'm glad to hear that you've found something that you really enjoy, mate. Genuine contentment is a notion that we're constantly chasing after; the process is interminable, and often, very costly.

For me, I've searched far and wide, and I've yet to find something that's truly satisfying - a headphone that ticks all the required boxes. I'm still relatively happy, though, as I'm enjoying what I have at the moment.

Jun 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #40 of 340

I feel like this also depends on what the hobby of audiophile stuff is for the individual. For many it is akin to a cargo cult. Like sneaker collecting - you don't buy the stuff because you look for an endgame, for that final peak fulfillment of what you want to hear in your music but you buy stuff for the sake of buying and collecting stuff. Which, fine, people collect things, be it, I dunno, Swarovski crystal Minions (tm) figurines or limited edition Air Jordan's or TOTL IEMs. But then it's not (necessarily) about chasing the perfect sound, but about buying stuff.

Which... It's not for me, although I have amassed quite a selection of audiophile equipemnt (albeit on the cheaper side of things, not that that necessarily matters...). I do indeed like to get a collection that covers bases. A good pair of BA IEMs, a good pair of DD IEMs, a nice set of planar cans and a nice pair of DD cans... I guess I can always go for MORE of those, but... There's only so many hours in a day, and only so many chances to listen to music during those, and at some point... I can no longer justify spending yet more money on yet another pair. I like to have a good selection of stuff to pick from, but... When it becomes a "hmm do I feel like taking the Bentley or the Maserati today... Sigh... Neither feel right, guess I have no choice but to go get a Ferrari still...." that should be a warning sign.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #41 of 340
I feel like this also depends on what the hobby of audiophile stuff is for the individual. For many it is akin to a cargo cult. Like sneaker collecting - you don't buy the stuff because you look for an endgame, for that final peak fulfillment of what you want to hear in your music but you buy stuff for the sake of buying and collecting stuff. Which, fine, people collect things, be it, I dunno, Swarovski crystal Minions (tm) figurines or limited edition Air Jordan's or TOTL IEMs. But then it's not (necessarily) about chasing the perfect sound, but about buying stuff.

Which... It's not for me, although I have amassed quite a selection of audiophile equipemnt (albeit on the cheaper side of things, not that that necessarily matters...). I do indeed like to get a collection that covers bases. A good pair of BA IEMs, a good pair of DD IEMs, a nice set of planar cans and a nice pair of DD cans... I guess I can always go for MORE of those, but... There's only so many hours in a day, and only so many chances to listen to music during those, and at some point... I can no longer justify spending yet more money on yet another pair. I like to have a good selection of stuff to pick from, but... When it becomes a "hmm do I feel like taking the Bentley or the Maserati today... Sigh... Neither feel right, guess I have no choice but to go get a Ferrari still...." that should be a warning sign.
Definitely go with the Bentley.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #42 of 340

Boy, am I glad that I have only 1 major hobby. My wallet is already hurting a lot from the constant abuse. :dizzy_face:

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #43 of 340
What are transients? I get the concept, but still find it difficult to define, and often difficult to assess well.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #44 of 340
They come they go

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #45 of 340
It may just be me, but I wish everyone would list an actual location, if even just their country. It’s not me wanting to be nosy, but it really can be important information when giving advice/recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back