"Raising Sand" - Hiss on purpose?
Jan 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
The Alison Krauss and Robert Plant disc "Raising Sand" has audio hiss going on in the background on some/all of the songs. I just read something that led me to believe it may be a "hiss track", actually added on purpose. Please tell me nobody would add hiss to an album on purpose. I love many of the songs on that album, but the audio quality suffers due to this hiss. Would they really put it in there on purpose?

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 8
Yes. It sounds slightly fuzzy and distorted to me, kind of like fluff on a needle - except I was playing the CD! Anyway, I think it's supposed to sound like that!

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Noticed the same thing. It really is an excellent album, love it, but IMO would have been better without the background hiss.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 8
I think it's there on purpose, too. I've mentioned in several other threads where people have commented on the sound of this album that T-Bone Burnett's recordings are really rustic, warm, antiquated sounding, ect. I, personally, really like the sound of this album and I can't understand how the things that people are complaining about can hurt their experience.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's there on purpose, too. I've mentioned in several other threads where people have commented on the sound of this album that T-Bone Burnett's recordings are really rustic, warm, antiquated sounding, ect. I, personally, really like the sound of this album and I can't understand how the things that people are complaining about can hurt their experience.

Yeah I think you told me that.

I have grown to like the sound a bit more but it really depends on what mood I'm in. I still prefer the bright and happy sound of her other albums.

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I think you told me that.

I have grown to like the sound a bit more but it really depends on what mood I'm in. I still prefer the bright and happy sound of her other albums.

Oh, yeah. I feel that on her AK+US albums they really have a great approach to recording. Their albums are all very organic and there's not one that I don't like the sound. I have the MFSL vinyl of 'So Long, So Wrong' and it's only a marginal improvement over the original. I think my favorite AK+US studio recording is 'Forget About It'. That album really sparkles and has a great focus on Alison's pipes.

But the sound of 'Raising Sand' is supposed to be part of the experience. It's a texture. Personally, I could take it or leave it but I really don't think the album sounds bad in any respect.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 8
The hiss was definitely one of the first things that caught me about the album when I listened to if for the first time, but when I realized it was there on purpose and didn't distract from my enjoyment of the songs, I accepted it and am quite alright with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back