Rain frequency response
Jul 13, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #16 of 23
Well I tried one, the one I have is the AT ANC-7b see below:Knowing that to the human ear, 10dB difference translate to twice as loud, 15dB of noise reduction should be a quite significant difference

For speech, the most important range is going to be 1 to 6kHz or so. But my guess is that noise cancelling is going to depend more on the noise being a sustained tone rather than broken up pitter patter than it is frequency.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #17 of 23
For speech, the most important range is going to be 1 to 6kHz or so. But my guess is that noise cancelling is going to depend more on the noise being a sustained tone rather than broken up pitter patter than it is frequency.

You're right, unless I go with something that isolates any surrounding sound (like some iems), I won't be 100% satisfied... but it's fun to try and see what NC can do.
Even though the range is 1kHz to 6kHz give or take, if I can filter out a lot of low frequencies, speech intelligibility can only improve

I don't know enough about how NC works to know if it can filter out noise that, as you said, are not sustained tone like an aircraft engine sound.

Also, I just don't feel like watching movies with iems lol

Kelvin

Jul 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 23
You can move to the southwest US. We don't get much rain here.

Jul 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 23
Thank you for your response... Understand your point of view regarding the importance of the surface the water drop bounces on.

Under heavy rain, unless you have a green roof, it will mostly sound like brown noise, although at a different intensity.

Based on my research on the rtings.com website, looks like what I need is a Sony WH-1000XM3 if I want to have an over-ear headphone - see attached
@ Castleofargh, thank you again for the website :)

Kelvin

I have both the Bose QC 35 IIs and the Sony WH-1000MX3s, due some personal problems I have that are not relevant to this thread. I have relatively more money than sense (though no abundance of either) as I get older, I commute, and I have three teenage kids in the house, for starters.

IMHO the Sony’s will block out more of the rain sound. Rain is a constant enough sound for either phone to handle it very well, though, in my experience. The Bose have better sound quality out of the box, IMHO. But the Sony’s have adjustable EQ built into the firmware of the headphones, so if you know what you are doing you can improve the sound. With the Sonys you can adjust the intensity and characteristics of the noise reduction. The Sony’s are more flush on the backs so they are better for lying down on your back in bed. Otherwise the Bose are lighter and more comfortable. But if you are more sensitive to the pressure noise cancelling exerts in your ears somehow the Sony’s exert less of that pressure. The Sony’s are better for commuting because they are sturdier and in fact do block out more noise in the end. The Bose have built-in graduated loudness EQ to make them more pleasant for listening at low to moderate levels.

They’re both excellent products with strengths and weaknesses that suit different use cases differently.

All IMHO, YMMV, etc. If you have any questions for someone who actually has both I can try to answer.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 23
I have both the Bose QC 35 IIs and the Sony WH-1000MX3s, due some personal problems I have that are not relevant to this thread. I have relatively more money than sense (though no abundance of either) as I get older, I commute, and I have three teenage kids in the house, for starters.

IMHO the Sony’s will block out more of the rain sound. Rain is a constant enough sound for either phone to handle it very well, though, in my experience. The Bose have better sound quality out of the box, IMHO. But the Sony’s have adjustable EQ built into the firmware of the headphones, so if you know what you are doing you can improve the sound. With the Sonys you can adjust the intensity and characteristics of the noise reduction. The Sony’s are more flush on the backs so they are better for lying down on your back in bed. Otherwise the Bose are lighter and more comfortable. But if you are more sensitive to the pressure noise cancelling exerts in your ears somehow the Sony’s exert less of that pressure. The Sony’s are better for commuting because they are sturdier and in fact do block out more noise in the end. The Bose have built-in graduated loudness EQ to make them more pleasant for listening at low to moderate levels.

They’re both excellent products with strengths and weaknesses that suit different use cases differently.

All IMHO, YMMV, etc. If you have any questions for someone who actually has both I can try to answer.

Guess you sold me on the Sony :)

Just wondering since you have it, can the EQ be used from the app even though the headphone is plugged in the computer?

Thank you for your help,
Kelvin

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 23

Just wondering since you have it, can the EQ be used from the app even though the headphone is plugged in the computer?

Thank you for your help,
Kelvin

Thank you for your help,
Kelvin

Do you know what you just put me through?? :wink:

The best I can tell you can set the equalizer from the app, and then connect them wired to your computer, with the noise cancellation on, and your EQ settings will remain in effect. You cannot set the EQ from the app while they are actually wired to the computer, but you still have the benefit of your in-use EQ settings that you set while you were connected to the app on your phone, tablet, etc., when you wire them to the computer.

There are so many features there is a lot of well if you do this, you can't do that, etc. Anyway I'm listening to them wired on the computer right now with my EQ settings in effect and they sound great (to me). The bass is really heavy at "0", so I have "clear bass" set at -6, 2.5k up one unit, 6.3k down two units, and 16 k down two units. Been that way for a long time, very happy with the sound. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 23
Do you know what you just put me through?? :wink:

The best I can tell you can set the equalizer from the app, and then connect them wired to your computer, with the noise cancellation on, and your EQ settings will remain in effect. You cannot set the EQ from the app while they are actually wired to the computer, but you still have the benefit of your in-use EQ settings that you set while you were connected to the app on your phone, tablet, etc., when you wire them to the computer.

There are so many features there is a lot of well if you do this, you can't do that, etc. Anyway I'm listening to them wired on the computer right now with my EQ settings in effect and they sound great (to me). The bass is really heavy at "0", so I have "clear bass" set at -6, 2.5k up one unit, 6.3k down two units, and 16 k down two units. Been that way for a long time, very happy with the sound. Of course, YMMV.

Great reply. Thank you - I have everything I need and will try to get ahold of a Sony NC Headphone when I get the chance.

Thank you and Best regards,
Kelvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back