Railroad & IEM: any suggestions?
Jan 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Vinyl

New Head-Fier
I'm travelling a lot by train this year, so I'm looking for IEMs that would offer plenty of isolation. Out of urgency, I bought some CX-300II and I was quite disappointed. They don't sound that good, they hiss, they are too bright and --- the worst thing of them all --- they give very poor isolation. For what they offer, they are also quite expensive, in my opinion.

What is the most isolating IEM ever within a price of $100? I could also spend a bit more (within the absolute maximum of $150) if that's really, really worth it.

Is active noise cancelling an option? I like the idea of destructive interference and all, but it has too work right, of course.

SQ is not my biggest concern, as long as it isn't worse than CX-300II. My preference goes to a mellow sound signature.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 11
RE0, Philips SHE9850, Turbine, JVC FX500............

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Get an etymotic. You'll have to be okay with deep fit (you can get used to it though). The er6i is the cheapest option, but I'd recommend stretching a bit to get the etymotic HF5. It should do everything you need.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Poor isolation is often a fit issue, and some of the Senn tips are strange, like those squat little double-flanges. I get that they want to put the driver as close to the ear as possible. Problem is, they don't work all that well.

Try other tips.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Here's ClieOS's superb shootout:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...-v-3-a-450407/

Etymotics is the benchmark for isolation. It's only a matter of fitting(if you can master the insertion and removal) as they do sit more deeper into the ear canal than other iems. Although if you move around, Etymotic(ER4P for my case) do suffer badly from microphonics/body sound transfer, which could be attenuated with correct cable positioning.

In my experience, other IEMs I used(Shures, Westones) just require the right foam/comply/olives to match the isolation of Etymotics and they have less microphonics(for my case).

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER6i isn't really mellow, and I'm not sure if any Etys are..

Yeah but it isolates.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 11
I'd back the Ety's for isolation. You can always EQ them if you hate the sound.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by evillamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's ClieOS's superb shootout:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...-v-3-a-450407/

Etymotics is the benchmark for isolation. It's only a matter of fitting(if you can master the insertion and removal) as they do sit more deeper into the ear canal than other iems. Although if you move around, Etymotic(ER4P for my case) do suffer badly from microphonics/body sound transfer, which could be attenuated with correct cable positioning.

In my experience, other IEMs I used(Shures, Westones) just require the right foam/comply/olives to match the isolation of Etymotics and they have less microphonics(for my case).

X2. I've had a range of general and custom IEMs and the only general I've retained is the ER4P.

It's a good general choice and you can always utilise the option later of getting UM56s made for it (as I find it's the comfort issue that eventually gets relevant - I travel 4hrs on a train each weekday - which is why customs became worth the investment
wink_face.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back