RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jul 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #496 of 1,184
I also don't think there's much treble roll off on the Rai Penta. I would consider it to be bright/neutral with an emphasis on the mid range where vocal tracks shine. The bass is very well-controlled for a hybrid with a dynamic driver, nowhere near overpowering and a lot of times sneaks up on me to remind me that there's a dynamic driver in this IEM :L3000:

I see you have a lot of campfire iems in your sig, have you listened to the Solaris for an extended period of time? If so are you able to give a comparison?

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #497 of 1,184
I see you have a lot of campfire iems in your sig, have you listened to the Solaris for an extended period of time? If so are you able to give a comparison?

I didn't get enough listening time with the Solaris due to fit issues. Maybe next time I'll bring my own tips when I get another chance to audition the Solaris.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #498 of 1,184
I also don't think there's much treble roll off on the Rai Penta. I would consider it to be bright/neutral with an emphasis on the mid range where vocal tracks shine. The bass is very well-controlled for a hybrid with a dynamic driver, nowhere near overpowering and a lot of times sneaks up on me to remind me that there's a dynamic driver in this IEM :L3000:
This sounds about perfect. How is spatial imaging, and how would you compare it to your Andromeda S?

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #499 of 1,184
This sounds about perfect. How is spatial imaging, and how would you compare it to your Andromeda S?

I think Rai Penta's spatial imaging is average, especially when compared to the likes of Sony IER-Z1R or Andromeda S. Both have larger soundstage than the Rai Penta to shine on that aspect. Probably not great if you primarily listen to classical/instrumental music.

Compared to the Andromeda S, the Rai Penta impressed me more with its male & female vocal performance where the presentation just feels more natural (relatively speaking). The Andromeda S is probably a tad brighter than the Rai Penta in the treble section. In the bass department, Rai Penta wins with its DD.

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #500 of 1,184

I don't know man, I hope you're right. Raw figures have me a little worried.

Oc6SsFz.jpg

https://musicvault108.wordpress.com/2019/03/16/meze-audio-rai-penta-incomplete/

guys.... ya'll need to rewind a few pages and read @jude 's comments on those measurements. Those are the exact same measurements I was 'worried' about, but Jude gave an explanation of why we shouldn't put much stock in them.

start here Post #416 and continue reading.

edit: audio46 order shipped today and Penta's will be here Wednesday, in time before the holiday. FYI, audio46 won't allow you to re-route the shipment to a fedex location for hold (unless you call them up and ask nicely), so you'd better be home as it absolutely requires signature!

I'll be sure and post initial impressions and update them with each 10 hours of music play to see if I note any changes.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #501 of 1,184
For what it's worth, we did some measurements of the RAI Penta (a few different seatings), and they look nothing like the ones in the link you included in your post.

That reviewer measured with the MiniDSP EARS fixture, which, in my opinion, is not suitable for these kinds of measurements. (Yes, we have one of those here, too.) The MiniDSP EARS fixture does not use ear simulators. An ear simulator is an apparatus that connects the device under test to a microphone in such a way that the working load on the headphone/earphone is the same as if used on a real ear [1], mimicking the input and transfer impedance of a human ear.

On top of that, getting anything resembling a proper seating on the MiniDSP EARS fixture with anatomically-shaped IEMs (the type that are typically concha-filling, angled-nozzle designs) is (to say the least) very challenging. With several anatomically-shaped IEMs we've tried with it (like the Google Pixel Buds), it's essentially impossible.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you put much stock in MiniDSP EARS measurements, especially standalone absolute measurements.

We'll do more seatings, and then I'll post our Rai Penta measurements here soon.

In terms of subjective impressions, I don't find the RAI Penta's treble reserved. I think it's a fantastically well-balanced IEM, and I love the restraint they showed with the dynamic driver, with its more linear-sounding bass presentation.

[1] Brüel, P. V., Frederiksen, E., Mathiasen, H., Rasmussen, G., and Sigh, E. (1976). "Investigations of a new insert earphone coupler," Part I in "Impedance of Real and Artificial Ears," Brüel and Kjær report.
Do you have updated charts of impressions? I'd love to see them if you do!

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #504 of 1,184
guys.... ya'll need to rewind a few pages and read @jude 's comments on those measurements. Those are the exact same measurements I was 'worried' about, but Jude gave an explanation of why we shouldn't put much stock in them.

edit: audio46 order shipped today and Penta's will be here Wednesday, in time before the holiday. FYI, audio46 won't allow you to re-route the shipment to a fedex location for hold (unless you call them up and ask nicely), so you'd better be home as it absolutely requires signature!

I'll be sure and post initial impressions and update them with each 10 hours of music play to see if I note any changes.

Look forward to your impressions, thanks

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #505 of 1,184
While the SQ is top notch for it's price range, any Rai Penta owner here experiencing my discoloration problem? I have not dropped or been hitting them against any solid surface. In fact I have been very careful. I suspect its my sweat? Hong kong under 30 degrees heat is not fun.....
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #506 of 1,184
Argh...reminds of my Andromeda

Jul 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #508 of 1,184

Yup, I'm getting mine tomorrow from audio46 as well. I was able to request that FedEx deliver them in a smaller window between 5-8 pm (For a $5.50 fee), so I'll be there to sign for them (after work). Hopefully they'll abide by my request.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #509 of 1,184
For what it's worth, we did some measurements of the RAI Penta (a few different seatings), and they look nothing like the ones in the link you included in your post.

That reviewer measured with the MiniDSP EARS fixture, which, in my opinion, is not suitable for these kinds of measurements. (Yes, we have one of those here, too.) The MiniDSP EARS fixture does not use ear simulators. An ear simulator is an apparatus that connects the device under test to a microphone in such a way that the working load on the headphone/earphone is the same as if used on a real ear [1], mimicking the input and transfer impedance of a human ear.

On top of that, getting anything resembling a proper seating on the MiniDSP EARS fixture with anatomically-shaped IEMs (the type that are typically concha-filling, angled-nozzle designs) is (to say the least) very challenging. With several anatomically-shaped IEMs we've tried with it (like the Google Pixel Buds), it's essentially impossible.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you put much stock in MiniDSP EARS measurements, especially standalone absolute measurements.

We'll do more seatings, and then I'll post our Rai Penta measurements here soon.

In terms of subjective impressions, I don't find the RAI Penta's treble reserved. I think it's a fantastically well-balanced IEM, and I love the restraint they showed with the dynamic driver, with its more linear-sounding bass presentation.

[1] Brüel, P. V., Frederiksen, E., Mathiasen, H., Rasmussen, G., and Sigh, E. (1976). "Investigations of a new insert earphone coupler," Part I in "Impedance of Real and Artificial Ears," Brüel and Kjær report.

Oh measurements... sigh. :expressionless:

It was tough to look at that posted measurement, probably a lot tougher for Antonio though. The Penta is a wonderful IEM.

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #510 of 1,184
Oh measurements... sigh. :expressionless:

It was tough to look at that posted measurement, probably a lot tougher for Antonio though. The Penta is a wonderful IEM.

Kb
Firstly, I would like to apologize for my graphs causing quite a stir or any misrepresentation. I know that if I put out a graph that I’ll be open for criticism and it does depress me a little but I still try to smile at it. I am sure Ken look at my graph of the Andromeda S and Solaris and rolls his eyes.

I am not a reviewer, but sometime I would give my short impressions of an IEM. I don’t ask for free IEMs or do I get any free IEMs. I love IEMS, that’s why I have a collections of them that I personally paid for. I don’t care if the IEMs is bad, good, or amazing. I’ve been an early adopter of many IEMs including the Meze RAI Penta and Anole VX. I don’t go to trade show to try different IEMs. I purchase based on based on curiosity or I just want to have a certain IEM in my collection. It sound stupid but I don’t get buyer remorse. I view each of my IEM as an individual puzzle and I am trying to correct them to the sounding I like. I love PEQ and I do a lot of EQ’ing. Every IEMs has a different signature and all IEMs are not perfect. If I can correct a bad IEM and make it sound good, I get a thrilling sensation. I can afford to get bad IEMs because I know I can try and correct them.

I don’t have the luxury that Jude has to have all his audio gears. I am sure he think his graph is the most accurate and I know my graph aren’t the best representation. I mainly graph for EQ’ing. It’s not to show off. As long I graph all my IEMs the same way, you can compare between them and see what signature you like and try to emulate it.

The problem I see people trying to graph with MiniDSP EARS and get different results with different seating is they’re not re-calibrating the sound level. I get consistent results after each seating because I re-calibrate the sound level. I get good seal fine with MiniDSP EARS so I don’t agree with Jude. His experience is different than mine.

People can interpret my graphs however they like because I’ve seen the same IEM with different graphs all over the internet. Even Ken’s graph look different than others. I don’t judge other people’s graph. I use my graph as a tool for EQ’ing.

I’ve posted a note at the bottom of my graph page.
Frequency response with IDF and RAW.
IDF: IEM diffuse field compensation curve for MiniDSP EARS
Tools: MiniDSP EARS using REW and LPGT.
Mostly with medium Symbio ear tips and 4.4mm cable.
“Please note that EARS is not an industry-standard measurement head.”

I am sorry for the drawn out post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back