RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Sep 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,097 of 1,184
I'm certain most of y'all already know this, but Meze released a Korean Edition of Red Rai Penta's, limited to 100 pieces. Available only at SchezadeIMG_20220828_020451.jpg

🦇
Amazing colour! My vanilla Pentas are crying in a corner now (still love them though).

Sep 10, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #1,098 of 1,184
Loving the thickness and weight of the bass and low-midrange of the Rai Penta.
What would be the headphone equivalent to Rai Penta? Meze Elite?
I have the LCD-X (2021) which is similar but not quite the same presentation that I am getting from my portable setup of the Fiio M11 Plus ESS + Rai Penta

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #1,099 of 1,184
Loving the thickness and weight of the bass and low-midrange of the Rai Penta.
What would be the headphone equivalent to Rai Penta? Meze Elite?
I have the LCD-X (2021) which is similar but not quite the same presentation that I am getting from my portable setup of the Fiio M11 Plus ESS + Rai Penta
I would say the Empyrean.

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #1,100 of 1,184
Sep 12, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,102 of 1,184
The Rai solo is more neutral - bright, leaner sounding and with less mid bass emphasis than the Classics.
They are quite the opposite in sound signature.
I find the Solo very bassy, not bright at all. Like the 99 Classics.

Nov 22, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,104 of 1,184
Black Friday price!

How would these compare to the Xelento 2? They are the only high end IEMs ive tried recently. The Pentas are also "sleep approved right", were you can lay on the side of your head without discomfort? How's the noise isolation for everyday commuting?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 15-12-35 Black Friday 2022.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 15-12-35 Black Friday 2022.png
    81 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,105 of 1,184
Black Friday price!

How would these compare to the Xelento 2? They are the only high end IEMs ive tried recently. The Pentas are also "sleep approved right", were you can lay on the side of your head without discomfort? How's the noise isolation for everyday commuting?
I only use my Rai Penta around the house and no sleeping so I can't confirm. But I can say they are the most comfortable IEMs I have ever tried.

I also own Rai Solo and they are my sleeping/commuting/gaming IEMs.
They are slightly bigger and seal better in my ears (I use SpinFit eartips for both models). Due to the seal, I find them quite good.

I have used them on my latest flight and they did make a lot of difference, but you can't compare them to a noise cancelling headphone. For a bus, train or car commute, I would say they are good. However, do not use them when walking. The 'thud' of your steps is audible, and to me it's uncomfortable.

Sometimes I listen to podcasts when doing some food shopping, and in that case I use a cheap KZ ZSN. 'Thud' is not audible as their ear tips are thin and do not make a full seal. Mind that I wear trekking shoes that have a higher sole and are soft when walking, they do not produce too much vibration when in contact with the floor.

I also use them when in bed paired with a Sony Walkman NW-A45 (Mr. Walkman mod, J region, Neutral mode) and their sound + comfort is like a lullaby. I sleep really well with them and never had any comfort issue or pain in the ear. Gaming in bed is also very good, no complaints there.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #1,106 of 1,184
Black Friday price!

Tonality of the Xelentos is definitely more v-shaped, more rumble in the bass and sparkle in the highs. The Rai Penta sounds a bit more relaxed and mid focussed, but also a tad wider in the sound stage...
In the end I guess it depends on preferences...

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #1,108 of 1,184
There, ordered the Rai Penta! Great price now during Mezes Black Friday sale :)

For me comfort is really the most important aspect, and from what I've read the Penta is prob the most comfortable non-custom IEM out there.
Yes it is!
And great sound too!

Nov 24, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,109 of 1,184
And as always Meze delivers when it comes to customer service, even during their Black Friday sale they sent out my Pentas 2 hours after I ordered. So I will likely have them here before the weekend. Also free DHL express shipping!

Meze is prob the fastest experience I've ever had when it comes to how long it takes to process an order.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back