Rage Against the Machine
Oct 16, 2010 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Rich77

100+ Head-Fier
Need they be introduced?
Granted I'm no anti-government but you just gotta love these guys.

If you like music with electric guitars in it you need to listen to them.

For those who have, lets see some love? I mean I just love them haha, Tim's bass riffs are wicked, Tom Morello tears it, and Zach De La Rocha just spits fiya (yeah, he spits fiya)

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 24
Rage is a guilty pleasure of mine.  I really don't like anything involving rap, and metal is also a genre I shy away from, but Rage is just different for some reason.  My favorite album of theirs is Battle of Los Angeles, where I think Morello really got to show off his guitar work (although not as much as his solo work or some Audioslave pieces.)  And their performances... well, I don't think I've ever seen anyone rock letterman quite like Ratm playing "guerilla radio."  (It's kind of ironic how much they sell out to corporations and fat cats and big wigs considering their music is just yelling about people like that.)

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 24
Yeah I try to avoid letting the political side sway me towards/away bands. But those guys kill man. I think Evil Empire is their best album, just because Timmy C on the bass is their lead instrument, and the guitar plays either background or the choruse. Plus I feel Zacks flow and lyrics are better in that album, but they're all good I think.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 24
It's fine man. RATM are about as political as a guy who yells abuse whenever the news comes on TV. 

Maggie's Farm and Hadda Be Playing on the Jukebox (Alex Ginsberg, whoo!) is quite possibly their best works IMO. Then there are stuff which scream teenage angst.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 24
I like RATM's music, but their lyrics lead me to believe they hate me and my beliefs.
I was able to obtain their discography in a CD wallet I bought for $5, so I can enjoy the tracks I like without giving RATM any money, or engaging in piracy.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
  (It's kind of ironic how much they sell out to corporations and fat cats and big wigs considering their music is just yelling about people like that.)

Well that's because no one listens to his lyrics, but just rock out, like they do.

I think if everyone listened to his lyrics, they'd be a nobody.  Good thing the music rocks out hard.

(Goes to play Guerilla Radio...
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 24
You can only change the system from within.
RATM have taken money from the corporate system (and consumers) and have used it to disseminate their message, fairly effectively (even people who do not like the message still listen to the music and lyrics).
My favorite track is No Shelter from the Godzilla sound track. The fact that they were able to get a song that attacks the Hollywood marketing machine inside the marketing package (soundtrack) is brilliant. And the song rocks.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 24
I love the music and do rock out, but that's it. Too skeptical for any message to stick. But yeah, they do rock a lot and I'd really wish they would tour around these parts oneday.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 24
I can't listen to Rage without paying attention to the lyrics. I agree with everything Zach says.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I can't listen to Rage without paying attention to the lyrics. I agree with everything Zach says.

I'm not sure if I agree too much with the total politics of him, although my inner teenage spirit LOVES how angry and just discontent he is with his life.

I mean his politics sound good in music, but I look at some of the stuff he says about America...I haven't formed a solid political opinion but some of his stuff is out there. But I agree with most of it, plus like I mentioned I just love how damn angry he is with the world.

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 24
Listeing to their debut on vinyl as I type this. Amazing album with an excellent recording.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
You can only change the system from within.
RATM have taken money from the corporate system (and consumers) and have used it to disseminate their message, fairly effectively (even people who do not like the message still listen to the music and lyrics).
My favorite track is No Shelter from the Godzilla sound track. The fact that they were able to get a song that attacks the Hollywood marketing machine inside the marketing package (soundtrack) is brilliant. And the song rocks.

You mean taken money from their record label?  Who in the corporate system are they selling out to?

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
You mean taken money from their record label?  Who in the corporate system are they selling out to?

I do not use the term "selling out" although it implies taking money from the record label and the promoters who organize their shows, it carries a negative connotation. I find nothing wrong with selling a product through the mainstream distribution channel in order to make a living. However some people seem to imply that because RATM have become rich off of an anti establishment message it is equivalent to "selling out". I think these people need to look beyond how much money these guys made (which is probably not as much as you think) but how they utilize their fame and their resources in their everyday lives and whether it is consistent with the message in their music. Not that I follow these guys public lives closely, but I do know that Zack is quite active in bringing attention to certain US policies towards south america, which is consistent with his lyrics.
Again, just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back