Radsone EarStudio ES100
Mar 23, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #541 of 6,675
@wslee: why is it not a good idea?

All I want to do is remap the frequencies so I can eliminate the resonance peak that typically occurs around 7KHz (or 6.9 in my case) with IEMs. The EQ I have on my laptop sounds far better than the best I can do with the EQ in the EarStudio app because it's got 4k and 8k points whereas I need 3.1 and 6.9. If the hardware supports any frequency and it's just controlled by a list in the firmware I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea if the result is better sound.. can you at least tell me if DFU mode can still be entered into in the presence of corrupted firmware?

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #542 of 6,675
@wslee My understanding from your documents was that differential is not providing 0.5Ohm OI and 2x Current. From your message above it sounds opposite. Could you confirm that differential mode would be same OI and current limit as 2x current mode?

If so, I will go and buy balanced wire to compare.

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #543 of 6,675
@wslee My understanding from your documents was that differential is not providing 0.5Ohm OI and 2x Current. From your message above it sounds opposite. Could you confirm that differential mode would be same OI and current limit as 2x current mode?

If so, I will go and buy balanced wire to compare.

ES100 has two DAC/AMP ICs and each DAC/AMP has two output.
3.5mm 1x current mode uses only 2 out of 4 output ports,
leaving 2 output ports off, to save power consumption.

The other three modes use all 4 output ports all the way and provide the same output impedance and the current limit.
Please give it a try 2.5mm output.

Thanks,
WS

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #544 of 6,675
@wslee: why is it not a good idea?

All I want to do is remap the frequencies so I can eliminate the resonance peak that typically occurs around 7KHz (or 6.9 in my case) with IEMs. The EQ I have on my laptop sounds far better than the best I can do with the EQ in the EarStudio app because it's got 4k and 8k points whereas I need 3.1 and 6.9. If the hardware supports any frequency and it's just controlled by a list in the firmware I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea if the result is better sound.. can you at least tell me if DFU mode can still be entered into in the presence of corrupted firmware?

Well, I'm not sure because I've not tried such binary tweak.
There might be some CRC or checksum error check, and if you change some part of the binary,
it may not work correctly.
I'm not sure because it's a black box to us as well.
WS

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #546 of 6,675
@wslee: i'm confused, how can it be a black box when you're continuing to update the firmware for it? surely you must have the source code

We use CSR8675 Solution from Qualcomm.
The fixed ROM codes in CSR8675 handles the DFU and Qualcomm provides the development tools for making DFU binary for us.
None of the source code for DFU is there, other than the toolchain to build the DFU binary out of our ES100 F/W.
WS

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #548 of 6,675
@wslee: Any idea when they will be back in stock in Canada? Also, if using through USB DAC you said it is limited to 16 bit 48kHz. Does this means that 24 bit files won't play or they will just be downgraded? Much of my recent collection is at 24 bit 48 kHz, although I have some at 24 bit 192 kHz.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #549 of 6,675
How is the noise floor on this device? I have read most of this thread and searched. @SubMash talks about a sand noise, not sure if others have had that issue. I have Primo8 which is a fairly sensitive set of IEMs and want to make sure I won't be annoyed by a continual hiss. My Samsung S8 only has AptX not HD so I would probably be using a combination of plug in DAC and AptX.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #551 of 6,675
How is the noise floor on this device? I have read most of this thread and searched. @SubMash talks about a sand noise, not sure if others have had that issue. I have Primo8 which is a fairly sensitive set of IEMs and want to make sure I won't be annoyed by a continual hiss. My Samsung S8 only has AptX not HD so I would probably be using a combination of plug in DAC and AptX.

Fwiw, you will also get AAC support with android 8 (Oreo), and I think that @SubMash finds that to work well with sensitive iems (search for related posts if interested).

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #552 of 6,675
Anyone know what the max bitrate of AAC over bluetooth is? If I listen to 256kbps AAC files that is indicated in the EarStudio, if I listen to ALAC (Apple Lossless) it just shows 44.1KHz 16bit but no indication of the bitrate. Couldn't find an answer online.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #553 of 6,675
There is a chart in this article on bitrate
https://www.soundguys.com/understanding-bluetooth-codecs-15352/
I too would appreciate a feature in the app to choose which codec is preferred.
https://darko.audio/2017/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-bluetooth-audio/

Anyone know what the max bitrate of AAC over bluetooth is? If I listen to 256kbps AAC files that is indicated in the EarStudio, if I listen to ALAC (Apple Lossless) it just shows 44.1KHz 16bit but no indication of the bitrate. Couldn't find an answer online.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #554 of 6,675
The noise floor on this thing defined by choice of bluetooth codec. But with low impedance headphones, everything becomes a challenge. Sand noise is NOT noise floor - it's APTX noise generated by decoding high-frequency sound. It's not there with AAC. And it should be twice lower with APTX HD. As about hiss - your IEMs are 38Ohm - you're going to be completely fine.
Fwiw, you will also get AAC support with Android 8 (Oreo), and I think that @SubMash finds that to work well with sensitive iems (search for related posts if interested).
Sensitivity doesn't matter. Impedance - does. AAC sounds always better than aptx - it just eats battery faster and that's the reason it's not preferred by devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back