Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #2,746 of 6,675
Thanks for the helpful/not helpful comment, but I'm on a Mac so none of that applies. I have to use the terminal. But I'm glad you could take the time to write a snarky comment. :ok_hand:

Maybe you can write another macro to....oh, never mind.

Sorry, I didn't pick up from your earlier "terminal" statement that you were using MacOS, and didn't know the procedure that's required there.
Reading Radsone's instructions, there are quite a few more steps for those users. The Windows procedure is much simpler.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxgyza3g593mu7g/AABkTV9-rcENx1HrRAEc-Eica?dl=0&preview=macOS_en.pdf.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #2,747 of 6,675
@wslee thanks for all these recent changes, this is really awesome stuff! I hope you will implement some of @SubMash's suggestions as that's a really good list too.

I'm still hoping to be able to set the EQ frequencies one day.. any chance of that happening? Sorry if you already replied to this, I've not been following this thread recently as I've been excessively busy.

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #2,749 of 6,675
I'm still hoping to be able to set the EQ frequencies one day.. any chance of that happening?

An earlier post sharing Radsone's roadmap included the addition of a 10 band PEQ, which should give us that ability (and more). I pretty excited about this myself!

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #2,752 of 6,675
Can't use in USB-DAC mode with phone via UAPP app, buttons work but no sound output.
I tried other usb DAC works fine only this doesn't work with the app. Firmware is 1.4.1

Have you made it work before with an older fw? It works fine for me in fw 1.3.1 but only when bit perfect is not selected....

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #2,753 of 6,675
Have you made it work before with an older fw? It works fine for me in fw 1.3.1 but only when bit perfect is not selected....

Yes, previous 1.3.2 works when bit perfect is set to off. After update to 1.4.1 it stop working, seems like some coding issue.

If I switch to bluetooth will have audio drop-off when playing Tidal via UAPP, though local files runs fine.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,754 of 6,675
Yes, previous 1.3.2 works when bit perfect is set to off. After update to 1.4.1 it stop working, seems like some coding issue.

If I switch to bluetooth will have audio drop-off when playing Tidal via UAPP, though local files runs fine.

Ok, thanks. I'll wait with updating the fw until they've solved this issue then.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,755 of 6,675
Just a quick question about the ES100, I couldn't find an answer. In USB dac mode, is there any lag or delay? I have the Shanling M0, and I wanted to use it in DAC mode because I have a broken headphone jack on my pc, but the lag even in low latency was too much for gaming or movie watching. I am thinking of getting the radsone so I can control music via ldac from the Shanling M0, but I need to know that it won't lag in USB dac mode with my PC.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #2,756 of 6,675
Just a quick question about the ES100, I couldn't find an answer. In USB dac mode, is there any lag or delay? I have the Shanling M0, and I wanted to use it in DAC mode because I have a broken headphone jack on my pc, but the lag even in low latency was too much for gaming or movie watching. I am thinking of getting the radsone so I can control music via ldac from the Shanling M0, but I need to know that it won't lag in USB dac mode with my PC.

The way my notebook's Realtek audio makes my FiiO FH5 sound means that my Lenovo Yoga 720 headphone jack might as well be broken. I've been using the ES100 in USB mode with it, and I haven't noticed any discernable lag (though I haven't used it for gaming).

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2,757 of 6,675

On my lenovo x220 (windows 7), no lag at all watching netflix in usb dac mode.

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,758 of 6,675
As a test, I hooked the ES100 up to a Raspberry Pi3 via USB. No driver needed and 0 lag, so I would not be concerned about lag with modern PC hardware.

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,759 of 6,675
I'm trying to use my ES100 as a DAC with my Mac, I have (somehow) managed to update to the latest FW so I can listen my 24 bit files.

How do I know whether I am listening to 16 or 24 bit?

If I am reading the app correctly (see screen shot), it is saying 16 bit in and (upsampled?) 24 bit out? Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• B794CE21-06D1-435B-91A0-4B1EFEB0F1EE.png
    B794CE21-06D1-435B-91A0-4B1EFEB0F1EE.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,760 of 6,675
I definitely hear what you describe with the Pixel 2X, ES100 and LDAC. I like it, but I am listening to lossy mostly Spotify at the higher bit levels, so I don't consider that the best judge. I listen to a lot of hi-rez and DSD on my iBasso.
I totally agree im using a LGV20 which supports the AptXHD with Earstudio Es100 and a Samsung Note 8 which supports LDAC .AptxHD sounds more natural less electronically enhanced ..

Today i've tested a little bit different audio codecs and sampling rates.
First. You are right LDAC with 96khz/32or24 bit sounds more airy with more space, more room...
From my point of view, air, space and room which is not there. Inside the developer options of my phone i configure to use 48 khz/24 bit vi LDAC.
The sound is more "natural" with more punch and more warmth.
From my point of view, that is the same ugly effect what you always experience with upsampling DACs. Until today i prefer to hear redbook CD's with 44.1 khz DAC, not with 192 khz, because you have more unnatural space and air in your music with upsampling DAC's.
If i understand some pages correctly, ANDROID uses a 48/24 bit audio system as internal mixer. It means when i set the LDAC mode to 48 khz 24 bit, i am "bitperfect" with the ANDROID sound engine.
Is that correct?
If yes, how can i play high res files over bluetooth? (i have one Talking heads 96khz/24bit FLAC long player on the phone.)
If i configure my phone to play 48 khz/24 bit via LDAC, do i have a benefit over APTX HD/AAC? Is LDAC sendig 990 bit/s via LDAC in that configuration?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back