Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,701 of 6,675
What will happen if I will select 24 bit MacOS connection and will connect to PC? Can somehow ES100 detect that 24 bit is not working and switch to 16 bit automatically every time it's connected to USB audio output? Then you just don't nee that selector at all. Who doesn't want 24 bit if it's for free?

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,702 of 6,675
I suggest this UI. No bottom tabs.

Left menu:
(Device selector similar to android google drive account selector if several available)
Home
Settings
Help (one structured manual)
Support tickets
Feature requests (Public with voting and commenting)
Where to buy
About us

In Home:
Balanced/unbalanced output selector
Volume slider with volume info: Vpp, Vrms, mW, dB SPL, dBu, dBV. Settings button:
Maximum Volume limit
Balance Left/Right
Headphones impedance and sensitivity inputs
Volume auto gain - Gain, Speed, Delay. Show visually results.
This phone digital volume
Set this phone digital volume to maximum if device is connected.
Ambient volume slider from zero
Tones volumes (auto test during change like in Windows)
Mic auto gain - gain, speed, delay​
Bluetooth codec, bitrate, resolution display. Settings button:
BT Sources Management (Device list with names, codecs and profiles used, and reconnect action - never, on start, automatic, define acceptable codecs. Same place one device is default for new ones. Button reset all to default. Button to forget source.)
Use legacy HFP 1.5 Hands Free Profile for old phones
Disable Bluetooth Jitter Cleaner
Bluetooth Buffer length (locked with LDAC)​
EQ (EQ templates selector with tiny thumbnail showing FR gains). Settings button:
Parametric EQ setup - up to 10 points movable across zoomable frequency band - click one point and it allows to input below Gain, Freq, Q or remove point. Click empty place, adds new point. Allow to move points including changing order between them. Add smoothing slider that remembers how to unsmooth current action. Allow to change all standard templates including their names and reset back if necessary (in the name change dialog). Direct play checkbox instead of EQ off.
DAC oversampling selector
DCT Digital filter amount slider
Headphones Crossfeed amount slider
Antialiasing Filter with pictures of FR and impulse.​

In Settings:
Device info: f/w version (warning if newer available), h/w version, software version (warning if newer available).
Power Settings
Power off if no connection for XX minutes
Power off if no sound for XX minutes
Power off now​
Charge Settings
When charger connected (Last State, On, Off)
When charger disconnected (Last State, On, Off)
Save battery life and charge to 80% only
Charge while connected to USB DAC​
LED (RGB Color/OFF selector)
Not connected
Connected
Music playing
Charging​
Keys mapping management (standard templates to select with a definition for each button on click/double click/long press. Ability to change any template.)
Reset to Factory Defaults (also how to do by pressing buttons on the device)

So, that fits all current functions. I've checked. And less clutter.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,703 of 6,675
Looking forward to v1.8.0 in iOS. the V1.4.1 firmware is working for me (16/44.1 in Windows 7). The iOS 1.7.5 app works ok with the new firmware, though the analog volume slider didn't initially match the actual level until I tweaked it. Some settings were reset (DCT off, oversampling off, buffer length = 0, EQ off). Perhaps 1.8.0 might have initialized differently, but it's not a big deal to me.

At some point, I'd like to see more than 4 custom EQ presets. I don't have any use for any of the pre-built ones (except FLAT), but I do have more than 4 headphones that I'd like to use with this device. Also, it would be nice if the Output Level Estimation could be linked to the active custom EQ setting (have impedance/sensitivity settings for each).

[edit] Another possibility: have an option to link a couple of the custom EQ presets to the bal/unbal configurations, respectively. I have two earphones that I currently am alternating here that are of those two persuasions.

I agree with most of SubMash's recommendations. #7 would be a great feature, if executed well - does the ES100 have sufficient hardware resource to add this?. There's a function like that in the 3rd-party Equalizer iOS app, and I used it there (before I got the ES100). It's helpful with mixed-album playlists, for sure. EQ preamp levels are quite disparate between my FiiO FH5 and Sennheiser HD 650, but I have a couple of tracks that cost me a few dB of the gain needed to volume-match the two.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,705 of 6,675
Update for me really messed with the eq settings. I was once able to just use my players eq settings and turn the es100 to flat. However, before the update i tried with both eqs on and the music sounded rather neat but never distored. I currently do not listen to it with both set but both are on. Last night while working out i had to shut down my apps eq due to distortion. What setting am i missing? I guess it's not a huge deal as i did all the eq'ing in the es100 app and all is ok.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #2,707 of 6,675
My guess is the firmware is only capable of using one OS, and they chose MAC.. if that is the case they should have separate firmware for windows users and mac users.
No, they were not supposed to be able to do it at all. What they did is already a hack. And it only works in the very special condition they stated. It's not about choice.

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,708 of 6,675
I wonder why they have 24bit support for MacOS but not from PC when you're using the unit as a DAC?

My guess is the firmware is only capable of using one OS, and they chose MAC.. if that is the case they should have separate firmware for windows users and mac users.

No, they were not supposed to be able to do it at all. What they did is already a hack. And it only works in the very special condition they stated. It's not about choice.

I GUESS:

Mac OS supports High Speed Audio Class 2 out of the box since 2010, Linux as well, Windows - well, does not.

I have never had to install any driver on my Mac for any DAC, but on my Windows Machine I had to quite often.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ive-class-2-usb-audio-support-wait-what-r647/

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,710 of 6,675
I GUESS:

Mac OS supports High Speed Audio Class 2 out of the box since 2010, Linux as well, Windows - well, does not.

I have never had to install any driver on my Mac for any DAC, but on my Windows Machine I had to quite often.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ive-class-2-usb-audio-support-wait-what-r647/

USB Audio Class 1 supports 24-bit/96 KHz. Class 2 is 24/192. Windows 10 release 1703 and up now ship with Class 2 drivers:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/usb-2-0-audio-drivers

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,711 of 6,675
Sep 14, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,712 of 6,675
Yeah amazing how it took MS so long for a standard that’s around for decades.

Anyhow. It’s just a guess that it’s related to that.

I'm also sure this is the reason.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,714 of 6,675
Are you turning on ES100 eq and setting it to flat? Why don't you simply turn off its eq?

Yes. It is flat. I found that my eq settings would not take from my music app unless i turned on the eq on the es100. Whether i had the es100 eq on or off it sounded fine but with the new update i cannot have the es100 and music app eq on at the same time nor can i have the eq on the es100 off with the music app on. The latter i do not understand. Perhaps i changed a setting and the device needs to be rebooted. We will see tonight.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,715 of 6,675
Yes. It is flat. I found that my eq settings would not take from my music app unless i turned on the eq on the es100. Whether i had the es100 eq on or off it sounded fine but with the new update i cannot have the es100 and music app eq on at the same time nor can i have the eq on the es100 off with the music app on. The latter i do not understand. Perhaps i changed a setting and the device needs to be rebooted. We will see tonight.

Yeah that's messed up. If I couldn't use Poweramp with ES100 I'd never buy it. Hopefully you fix it. Let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back