Radius HP--TWF41
Jun 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #16 of 21
Fwiw, the Brookstone model that was supposedly a clone of the second-generation Radius DDM was *not the same as the IEM it looked like. It was inferior in every way even to the first generation DDM.
They were not that far apart. Inferior but better value on the Brookstone. Neither was the first gen. They should have reworked the arm to the outside and fixed the fit more like the Sony side firing stuff. The second gen. was not as unique for the presentation and kind of boring vs. the first gen. One had some magic and the other fit better but did lose the magic.

The Unique Melody 3DT is very much what the first DDM was going for and certainly what those looking for that sort of sound should check out. Plus you have new features like removeable cable and an ergo housing.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #17 of 21
They were not that far apart. Inferior but better value on the Brookstone. Neither was the first gen. They should have reworked the arm to the outside and fixed the fit more like the Sony side firing stuff. The second gen. was not as unique for the presentation and kind of boring vs. the first gen. One had some magic and the other fit better but did lose the magic.
Yeah, I suspect that Brookstone made them under license using one or more of: downgraded components/materials, wider manufacturing tolerances, or poor QC. And I agree that that shape was weird and poorly considered.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #18 of 21
The Unique Melody 3DT is very much what the first DDM was going for and certainly what those looking for that sort of sound should check out. Plus you have new features like removeable cable and an ergo housing.
I ordered a set the other night! I'm interested to see that you rank it above the Zen, which I was nearly sure I wanted. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 21
There is more potential for resolution and detail and extension with a better cable so it doesn't quite beat the Zen out of the box technically but the Zen can't present with one driver the way the Terminator can with three drivers. I never really compared to the Zen with the stock cable after burning in and settling on tips cause I have a pair with a very tight fitting connector on the R side. I bent the pins of my Epic cable pulling that out. So, the GC4 is in good and staying there. Still about $300 cheaper than the Zen(still $799?) and better for fit being lighter and better for flavor/character/presentation, and at least a bit technically with more texture and more reach at the ends and better imaging abilities. Again three drivers vs an admiral job tuning and getting ability out of one good one but still comes up a bit short vs. the UM. :)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #20 of 21
There is more potential for resolution and detail and extension with a better cable so it doesn't quite beat the Zen out of the box technically but the Zen can't present with one driver the way the Terminator can with three drivers. I never really compared to the Zen with the stock cable after burning in and settling on tips cause I have a pair with a very tight fitting connector on the R side. I bent the pins of my Epic cable pulling that out. So, the GC4 is in good and staying there. Still about $300 cheaper than the Zen(still $799?) and better for fit being lighter and better for flavor/character/presentation, and at least a bit technically with more texture and more reach at the ends and better imaging abilities. Again three drivers vs an admiral job tuning and getting ability out of one good one but still comes up a bit short vs. the UM. :)
Thanks!

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #21 of 21
I'll offer further impression later, but I think you're very right here. When I listened to Sparklehorse it felt exactly like my recollection of the DDM. The intimacy of male vocals is almost indecent. Btw, I saw the DDM on sale at some site or another (new) the other day. I'm sure that most everything I've owned since is technically better, but I'm still tempted to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back