Radius HP-NHR-21 tour...a great bass-head earphone
Dec 9, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #47 of 82
Ok, so I received my 2nd pair of Radius NHR-31's and have finally got to hear them with and without balanced cables. They arent burnt in yet but I have quick impressions out of the ZX2. First off, they are much more sensitive than the 21, they play much louder at the same volume levels, and that's with the stock cable. Balanced, they are even better. They have more mids and a much larger sound stage, I mean they just open up, like a veil has been lifted. Going back to the 21, they sound muddled in comparison. Extension, at least up top is definitely noticeable with much more air, details and transients. I can't tell about the extension down low as they are already very bassy and aren't fully burnt in. I feel the dynamic driver needs time to open up. I'm going to put them on the burner overnight and through the weekend. By Monday they should be ready. Overall, I'm ecstatic, this is just what i wanted, NHR21 bass with more lush mids and bigger soundstage. Now, let's just hope bass gets tighter and more controlled.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #50 of 82
Any further impressions of the NHR-31? Sounds like it's a significant improvement over the NHR-21. How is this iem for rap and metal if you've tested it with those genres? Does the NHR-31 need amping?

The 31 needs amping less than the 21. It's so much more sensitive and louder at all levels. I'm using the fiio balanced cable and that opened up the sound significantly. They sound good wit everything I've thrown at them, but I don't listen to metal. Rap is glorious on them, with all the bass. Even though they don't need amping, the balanced cable really tightens things up and allows them to scale better. The 21s don't scale well, the bass can't handle it. They are better off unamped.

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #51 of 82
The 31 needs amping less than the 21. It's so much more sensitive and louder at all levels. I'm using the fiio balanced cable and that opened up the sound significantly. They sound good wit everything I've thrown at them, but I don't listen to metal. Rap is glorious on them, with all the bass. Even though they don't need amping, the balanced cable really tightens things up and allows them to scale better. The 21s don't scale well, the bass can't handle it. They are better off unamped.

I don't use an amp, so is the NHR-31 worth the significant price increase? Also did you order yours off of amazon Japan? That's the only place I can find them.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #52 of 82
I got my 2nd pair from headphone.com. They have the 31. I paid $175 I think, on sale. They only have the 31, and the more expensive earphones, which I don't think are basshead.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 82
I end up getting 1More triple driver. I oove it so much!

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #56 of 82
How's the bass? Is it basshead?

Reviews are mixed on this.  Some say it is lacking while others say it is good when called upon.  Hopefully @twiceboss will clarify.  I'm thinking about getting them myself.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #57 of 82
The bass to me is enough for basshead! U can eq it to boost the bass if u want more.

What i like from this, the highs are very smooth! And the mids are always there, never missing in the cave like my previous pro900 headphone lol. I just use my ipad to drive these and it is really good from edm to classical.

Btw, i dont like to pair this with mojo, it sounds too dark to me. So yeah, any bright amp will be a good combo!

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #58 of 82
Again, $85 for 1more triple driver is beyond my expectation. Really blown my mind the packaging and the sq! Try it to feel it.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #59 of 82
Again, $85 for 1more triple driver is beyond my expectation. Really blown my mind the packaging and the sq! Try it to feel it.

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, they are $60 at Costco.com.

Edit: OK twiceboss I just placed an order for the triple Ds. Not talking about a woman's brazier either:D. Total with tax came to $65. Now the wait begins...

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #60 of 82
Currently at akihabara. Tried the nhr-31and found it too agreessive n sensitive - these will blast at 8-10 volume less than the nhr-21. Yet the 31 was atiguing too - the bass was too forward and the 21 was smoother in comparison. I ended up buying the nhr-21 for 10,000 yen. The nhr-31 was 30,000 yen. I believe the removeable cable of the nhr-31 powers the speaker up like no tomorrow. Edit: i was using sony nwa-35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back