Radius DDM Review
Jun 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

drewjp

100+ Head-Fier

Radius HP-TWF11R DDM

I was very eager to listen to these new “dual dynamic” in-ears from Radius. Sadly, they are an Asia exclusive model right now. For $160 shipped (from Japan), I figured “what the heck?” and ordered a pair. I think that the idea of multiple dynamic drivers in a small in-ear is an interesting idea that has a lot of potential given the R&D capabilities and budgets of the larger headphone manufacturers. After reading the other review and appreciation thread on these Radii (remember that word from geometry class?), I will attempt  my first Head-fi review and a comparison with my current mainstay in-ears, the Sennheiser IE8. All comparisons are done using Apple Lossless tracks using the HP out on an iPod Video (5.5 Gen) with EQ off.

Packaging:  The Radius came packaged in an elegant cherry colored box, and included a nice carrying pouch with a thick faux leather covering. The case includes a molded rubber ‘puck’ that has cutouts for the earphones, as well as a clever groove around the outside that allows you to neatly wrap the cord around it. It also included multiple silicone tips of all sizes, although no foam, nor double or triple flange tips. They are nearly identical to the plain silicone tips that Sennheiser includes with the IE8. Thicker than Sony hybrids, however. There is also a microfiber cloth for polishing (?) the shiny finish I suppose. For the price of these, I have no complaints about the presentation or packaging.

Fit/finish/Build Quality:  I am not a fan of the color scheme of these, yet they are solidly built. The anodized aluminum 3.5mm plug is a nice touch, as is the cloth-covered cord. It does seem to have quite a bit of memory, though. I haven’t been able to yet smooth out the bends from the way they were packaged in the factory. Also, the cord transmits noise quite easily. I have all but forgotten about the annoyance of cord noise thanks to the excellent cable of the IE8. The earphones themselves have a glossy red finish(reminds me of a poor imitation cherry wood stain) and a gaudy gold “Radius” logo. They seem to be built well and are a little heavier than the IE8. On the underside of the phone is a classy rubberized coating that promotes grip. Getting these to fit into my ear correctly took a little bit of trial and error…If you put them on with the cord hanging down, they kind of press on the outside edge of your inner ear and quickly become uncomfortable. I flipped them around and routed the cable up over my ear. This afforded me much more comfort while still maintaining a great seal.

Listening Notes
“I Love Vienna” By The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Live at Park Ave South
This song is one of my reference jazz tracks. It is expertly recorded live and gives a superb sense of being in the front row during the performance. This track sounds fantastic through the Radius. The persistent cymbal tapping and brushed snare drum sound crisp and snappy. The Radius also accurately portrays the soundstage; I can clearly differentiate where each performer was located. The piano sounds smooth, if slightly too veiled. The upright bass is too prominent through the Radius. It overshadows some of the other instruments. It also sounds a little bloated and sloppy. But this track is still very enjoyable through these phones. The IE8 resolves the bass perfectly; tighter, more controlled, in balance with the rest of the quartet. The saxophone is also more prominent on the IE8. Overall, the IE8 sounds more balanced on this track, but the Radius gives the more exciting performance.
“Tout Doucement” By Feist, Let It Die
This track is my bass reference track. And the bass digs DEEP here. The quality and control over the lower realms of a piece of equipment is really put to the test. First, the IE8. Smooth, smooth, smooth. The IE8 digs as deep as it needs to go, yet it still retains tightness. Feist’s voice is dead center, and you can hear the ambience of her recording booth in the recording. The soundstage of the IE8 really shows here. The piano, bass, percussion, and vocals all have their own space, and none overpowers any of the others. Onto the Radius now. From the first bass note, the bass is HUGE, both in quantity and impact. Digs just as deep as the IE8, yet the Radius hits harder; you can actually feel it. The vocals sound less refined on the Radius; there’s a rough edge, not enough to be fatiguing, yet it sounds strained next to the IE8. Yet again, the bass is exaggerated on the Radius. There’s just too much of it. The piano and percussion (and some of the vocals) struggle to be heard above the bass. The Radius loses this round to the IE8.
“La Ci Darem La Mano” An aria from Mozart’s Don Giovanni
This is the only opera I have ever actually liked, and Mozart is at his best here. A strong string section accompanies a male and female, and there are plenty of dynamics in both the vocals and instruments. The strings sound somehow processed(however slight) on the Radius. And the cello once again proves that the bass is exaggerated. Vocals sound a little too distant, as well, on the Radius; Like you are sitting in the balcony, rather than right in front of the stage. The violins sound wonderful at moments, yet unnatural at others. Now onto the IE8. Strings sound much more natural, and the cello blends in nicely with the violins. The singers’ voices are front and center, like we just switched to 5th row center in the performance hall. Smooth again. Vocals are less fatiguing on the IE8. Soundstage is no better than the Radius. I prefer the IE8 here because it sounds more coherent throughout the frequency range; it doesn’t overemphasize any instrument or voice. If I hadn’t heard this recording 100s of times before on high quality systems, I would have still been happy with the Radius.

Conclusion
I always root for the underdog. When I read about the Radius DDM, I was excited at the chance that a relatively young, relatively ignored headphone manufacturer could create such an innovative earphone at a reasonable price that could potentially upset the natural order of hierarchy. For $160 shipped, I am genuinely impressed by the Radius. It sounds quite good, and the fact that it can even come close to a flagship product by the German giant Sennheiser is a remarkable achievement! The bass is prodigious on these! Dance, trance, techno, and pop fans may not need to look further for their portable bass fix. If the IE8 is a 10 inch subwoofer, then the DDM is a 15 inch sub! It hits low and hard! However, it also sounds flabby and uncontrolled at times. The treble is also very good, however there is some sibilance and harshness that was fatiguing to me, especially with female vocals. The IE8 never offends in its treble; no sibilance, no rough edges, just smoothness. The midrange is where the difference between these two earphones becomes most apparent. The Radius has a very recessed midrange, and it’s difficult to retrieve details from this when the bass and treble are so much more powerful. I felt as though I was listening to the classic “V” EQ curve with the DDM. The IE8 is the more enjoyable and refined earphone for me; the midrange is silky smooth and has a tube-like warmth to it, due to the infamous 100Hz bump. When I want to be analytical, I listen to the K701. When I just want to get lost in the music, I reach for the IE8. Sorry, no George Mason Cinderella upset here, folks. But Radius still made a fun, great earphone that is a superb value. Bravo!

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 37
Nice review, thanks. I wish I could say: 'it's only $160 bucks, what the heck ' 
biggrin.gif

I think I saw them for 200 UK pounds somewhere, probably ebay, which I thought was too much. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 37
They're £120 at iheadphones, am undecided as to whether to get these or the Monster Copper.

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 37
drewjp, this was a great write up. My experience with the radius DDMs has been mostly similar to yours. I also still prefer the IE8 because it just sounds much more refined, effortless and natural and I get more lost in the music when listening to them. I don't quite think the mids on the radius DDMs are recessed though. I find the bump they have in the midbass along with their  thick sound gives the mids good chest and presence, albeit they sound dry and lacking that extra bit of refinement and crispness that I hear on the IE8. I actually find that there is great focus in the midrange of the DDMs. I think if given more time you may find that their bass may be better defined than that of the IE8. In terms of soundstage I do find the DDMs to have a big soundstage. However, It still gives me that "listening to an IEM" feeling. I think the IE8's soundstage with a light seal fools me more because it almost seems as if it utlizes that actual air surrounding me to create it's soundstage and as such to my ears disappears more and sounds a bit more "realistic". Unlike a few others I don't think they're better than the IE8 but I still consider the DDMs to be a very good value and very much worth their asking price because they compare favourably to the touted top tiers.

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 37
@ Drewjp , nice 7 intresting review thanks, your not the first person i have heard saying that there is something unnatural sounding about the ddms, The sibilance you hear is it bad and often or just once in a while ?
popcorn.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
I actually find that there is great focus in the midrange of the DDMs. I think if given more time you may find that their bass may be better defined than that of the IE8. 

There are some details that get washed out by the bass that definitely are more prominent when I listen to the K701. I also am having trouble adjusting to the bass quantity of the DDM because I've had more neutral headphones before them.

@lucozade, It is not bad, and only with certain recordings; mostly female vocalists that have great range in their voice.

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 37
Nice writeup drewjp... I had similar kinds of mixed feelings when I first started listening to the DDM's out of the box. A lot of my concerns about the sheer amount of bass resolved themselves through burn in, but I do find that they do not have the crispness of some other IEMs. They do have surprising amounts of detail though, so for me when crispness often leads to sibilance, I'm pretty happy.

By and large the DDM's aren't very sibilant, and compared with most of the IEM's in my collection they are far smoother. The CK90Pro and RE0 for instance can be uncomfortably shrill for me. The only smoother sounding IEM that I have is the RE252.

Overall the sound is not as balanced as it could be at first impression, yet they still pickup a lot of detail and just have amazing timbre for certain instruments. An unusually good instrument I'm finding for these - xylophones. That said I just don't have many tracks where xylophones play a prominent role. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 37

Quote:
Overall the sound is not as balanced as it could be at first impression, yet they still pickup a lot of detail and just have amazing timbre for certain instruments. An unusually good instrument I'm finding for these - xylophones. That said I just don't have many tracks where xylophones play a prominent role. 

I agree...piano and the triangle are two that can sound amazing through the Radius.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 37
nice review... The radius seem appealing but in my eyes there build quality and fit is holding me back from even considering it. Will def. be curious when they update the design

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 37
Thank you for the lovely review.
I really really love mine,  however, I have difficulty fully recommending it as some conditions: I don't like to walk with it, because the above average microphonics; it does not isolate well. Most of times I use it when sitting down. It's very nice earphones, just in case those conditions bother you.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 37
ya thats why they just wouldnt work with me well. Im always on the go and I need iem that can isolate and stay in.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 37

Quote:
ya thats why they just wouldnt work with me well. Im always on the go and I need iem that can isolate and stay in.

I am always on the go commuting and walking and DDMs has proven to be working just fine for me.  Isolation is not an issue, I use comply foam in case  I am in a very noisy surroundings. For 160 USD it can get any better then this.!

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 37
I actually have always been incredible curious about the Sony PFRs! I believe you can buy them from accessoryjack, but the reviews have always been mixed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back