Radius DDM Mod to improve comfort
Oct 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

razmalai

New Head-Fier
Added ear guides to my Radius DDMs and they are much more comfortable. This may be because the weight of the DDMs and the fact that they protrude from the ear a bit cause a downward pull. 

As pictured below. those are Ultimate ears tips (generic) which really bring out the vibration / buzz / hum / detail in the sound the DDMs produce, without dampening it like some tips made of thicker material tend to do.  These tips also are large enough that they fit very snugly in my ear and further prevent the DDMs from moving.

Those are silicone ear guides from a pair of Phonak PFE's.  I put those over pipe cleaners which are bent to fit the ears, and attached to the gold portion of the PFEs. 

First, I shaved the pipe cleaners with hair clippers, then unwound the end of the pipe cleaner which is made of 2 thin wires wrapped around each other in a spiral.  I wrapped these free ends around the gold portion of the DDMs then tightened them by twisting the free ends with pliers until they were snug. 

It's a makeshift way of achieving comfort, but it doesn't look terrible.  I love the sound of the DDMs and now wearing these for extended periods and jogging with them on is not a problem.  I have pictures of the step by step process if anyone wants them posted.

Oct 3, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Another mod that makes double flanges and deep insertion tolerable is to push and twist the tip back till it hits the shell. With this it won't stick out so much when you place them in your ears. 

Not many do deep insertion with these, but I think with the right method, it works.
Place them in an over the ear style but then pull the ear up and twist them down while pushing forward. I get a good seal that's quite comfortable and isolation is improved. It also looks much better aesthetically and the shell looks surprising thought out to the ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back