Radiohead's Hidden Masterpiece
May 8, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #31 of 38
I just listened to Zaireeka on Sunday.

WOW! Not only is it super experimental, but it is also incredibly accessible too! A masterpiece! I remember thinking somewhere through "A Machine to India" that, whoa, it really IS this good.

See, everytime I hear it, I feel like I am practically hallucinating how good it is. Especially since it whoops the other Lips records. But nope, it really does.

Neil

edit: it's kinda funny we're chatting about this in a headphone forum. Not only is it practically impossible (likely totally impossible) to listen to with headphones, it is also probably damaging to the ears to listen to some of that stuff...

May 29, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, there is a lengthy blurb in the sleeve by Wayne Coyne which explains how they discovered, while putting it together, that all CD players, even if they are the same make and model, will play at slightly different and differing speeds, meaning that each player will lag and catch up and take the lead at different times. This is down to two (million) things, namely that CD players are mechanical devices and therefore subject to constantly variable factors such as friction, heat, etcetera, as they phsyically spin the disc, and also they rely on software to read the disc and tranform the data to sound, and the electronics are also subject to variations in efficiency due to heat, dust, etcetera.

Well, this would apply to turntables, but....

CD player output is synced by a crystal oscillator, so is very regular. Jitter can be an issue in cheaper or malfunctioning devices.

May 29, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #34 of 38
I forgot I had this saved on my computer, along with everything else Radiohead has ever put down to tape and a wealth of live recordings. But on topic, I think my favourites are Everything in It's Right Place and Idioteque. Idioteque especially fits almost too perfect.

May 30, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #35 of 38
I have trouble believing that anybody fiddling with this album in Audacity can ever approach the original masterpiece.

I'll be sitting this one out. Although, I did master a DVD of The Wizard of Oz which had an alternate audio track one time...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #36 of 38
Kid A also works creepily well with Fight Club for a little while. Fincher asked them to do the soundtrack but they were busy with Kid A, so he got the Chemical Brothers instead. Kid A was then released 1 year later and I do believe that they did a small amount of syncing to make the two work together, at least the first 3-4 tracks. Start Kid A just as the Regency logo starts its animation.

Key sounds that worked for me. Some electronic blips in proper places like the copy machine. Big synth pad wash at the end of Kid A coincides exactly with our first good look at Bob. "I woke up sucking a lemon" is given a tiny bit of meaning (no, not Bob, lol. The gun.) It's not exactly as strong as Wizard of Oz but that craze was at it height in 2000 when the album was done recording and being produced.

May 30, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool stuff but I highly doubt this was done purposely...if it was, I think we all would have heard about it a long time ago.

I don't know isn't Pink Floyd (minus Waters) still gloating that nobody ever figured out the riddle to The Division Bell?

Nobody knew that even existed for several years afterward if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back