Radiohead's Hidden Masterpiece
Apr 10, 2007 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

patrox89

100+ Head-Fier
And it has been under our noses for years. I have recently (about 40 minutes ago) been exposed to an entirely new radiohead experience, called Kid 17. The theory goes like this, you play Kid A and 17 seconds later, you play a second copy of the album. For most of the songs (i am only on treefingers, track 5 out of 10) the second copy syncs up perfectly in rhthym and tempo, creating new climaxes, sounds and effects (such as echos, as heard on how to disappear completely).

I am not sure who found this or how they stumbled upon it, but unlike playing records backwards, no one can misinterpret this. the songs just work.

The only question i have is whether it was intentionally done by radiohead (i, for one would not put this past them). one argument for the intentional argument is that "in limbo" does not sync properly. If you interpret in limbo as meaning "not belonging" or "in between", then this is evidence that radiohead intentionally did this, as if they wished for this hidden playback method to be discovered (or leaked) and thus had to offer an explanation for why one song did not work.

conspiracy theory or not, its damned cool to listen to.

now on methods of accomplishing this. use quicktime, open multiple windows at once and open the same song twice. or, read up on it on a website called jersey mike. (google is your friend)

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 38
I gotta try this! It'd better work better than all those Tool syncs...

EDIT: Wow! Idioteque works really well!
And so does Kid A! (I'm doing this out of order obviously :p)
Optimistic doesn't seem to work at all though :-/ Maybe I should try syncing it myself.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try to sync it myself in Audacity more precise than the MP3s online. The version you referenced always sounds a tiny bit off...

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 38
frickin' brilliant! can't believe I haven't heard of this before! thanks for the heads up, using multiple instances of winamp......nice one bruv.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 38
Wow I just did everything in it's right place.... that's amazing. I cant wait to do the rest of the album.

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 38
Interesting, I will have to give it a shot.

My bet is that a few kids were stoned one night, and tried this out and everything happened to (coincidentally) sync up and sound cool. Sort of like the whole Pink Floyd / Wizard Of Oz thing, or drawing a mustache on a piece of scotch tape with a Sharpie pen, and taping it to the middle of the TV screen - and then laughing at the results.

Anyone else getting the 'munchies'?

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 38
I can attest to this being very cool stuff. If you're handy with any sort of audio or video editing apps, you can pretty easily make yourself a nice lossless copy of the whole album.

Oh, by the way, you have to do it track by track. You can't just set one copy of the album going and then another copy of the album going. You do track 1a, then track 1b, then wait for them to finish before doing it again with track 2.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 38
I've been playing around with Idioteque for a while. It really wants to be offset by about 17.4497 seconds.

It sounds really cool though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 38
^
this is a little trick I picked up several years ago,

the REAL trick is to have two KidA's on LP, and syncing/dropping the needle perfectly in time, performing this for each song on the LP as well (or as the OP suggests with a redbook CD or two WAV files, etc)..
For a real treat, then place the phono stage output or receiver (what have you) on mono for some incredible over dubs and unique track recording effectst that are entangled within the digital transfer, and smothered in digital packets under the melodies.

Actually, I am not into RH as much anymore, and actually sold or gave away all my Radiohead Vinyl..or would have happily given my two copies of KidA a HF'r to try this out and to enjoy.. (Note: I am not flaming RH, seen them a dozen or so times, and in 3 different countries, just dang sick of not being able to discern words to the music, even lyrics I know wording to, in which Thom opts not to annunciate when speaking/singing)

Those that can, try this in Mono VS Stereo and see if you get some additional effects in the session..(this is kind of similar to the process with Flaming Lips, and their album which entails multiple sources to project the additional atmosphere and imaging and is cool too)

Happy Tuesday,

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 38
That's pretty weird, it sounds great. If this is meant to be, it's just brilliant.

I'm going to try it with some other music too, perhaps I can discover some more
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(this is kind of similar to the process with Flaming Lips, and their album which entails multiple sources to project the additional atmosphere and imaging and is cool too)

Hahaha, you're talking about Zaireeka. I own it and have yet to get around to trying it. I've heard that it's absolutely mind-blowing, so I don't want to mess it up by listening to a stereo mixdown or something like that. I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity, and until then I'll keep it stashed away in my desk drawer.

But I must say, the individual discs are pretty cool.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can attest to this being very cool stuff. If you're handy with any sort of audio or video editing apps, you can pretty easily make yourself a nice lossless copy of the whole album.

Interesting. I may have a go at this in the editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back