Radiohead - Muse tiny generation gap?
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
I understand that the Muse and Radiohead are quite a bit different but, there seems to be a tiny generation gap between Muse and Radiohead (but vocally they seem quite similar). Seems people of the age of 17-20 enjoy Muse or are not even really aware of Radiohead, while people over the age of 20 seem to really not be into the Muse, or aren't aware of them.

Me being 22 I kind of missed out the hype and talk about Muse. A lot of the recent friends I made in college who are aged around 18-20 seem to love the Muse, yet they aren't in Radiohead, I just find this to be an interesting observation. Could just be the simple fact that they don't enjoy Radiohead and prefer Muse. I'm not sure how I missed out on the Muse as I'm still young but I feel there is some sort of tiny generation gap with music these days.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 25
I am 17 and love both. I like Radiohead better. It is true though, some of my friends at school have know idea who either is.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 25
Never got into Muse*. Radiohead is just plain fantastic at times. 'Nuff said.

I'm 27, so that fits in with your theory, I guess.

[size=xx-small]*Or Coldplay for that matter. Ummm, excuse me... what? Why does it seem that they've nearly taken over the world? Dunno. Beats me.[/size]

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am 17 and love both. I like Radiohead better. It is true though, some of my friends at school have know idea who either is.

same as me, but im 18.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 25
I was first heard MUSE from MTV playing "New Born", which I bought the single promptly
smily_headphones1.gif
. So MUSE had exposure in Japan for a decade. Must be a US thing that it wasn't known until recently?

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 25
I got into Muse a few years back when I heard Black Holes and Revelations, and one of my previous roommates said that they're older stuff was better. Similarly, I just got into Radiohead due to In Rainbows. So far, I like Radiohead better, but Muse isn't all that bad either.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 25
people in North America missed out quite a bit on Muse because of their 2nd and 3rd album not releasing in time because the record deal in America tried to make them remove some falsetto for Radio play and they denied it, so record deal was canceled. And their first album which released in North America as well, Showbiz (1999), was nothing to write home about at all.

Origin of Symmetry (2001) and Absolution (2003) were released pretty late in 2005, which is when they got their record deal in America again. Then Black Holes came in 2006, released everywhere simultaneously, and some from the US/Canada thought they were a new band.

I was one of the people who found them out by internet in the early 2000's.

I know a lot of 20-30 and even 40 year olds that listen to Muse. They're just from the UK/Europe :p

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 25
I'm 22 as well, and appreciate both. The comparisons are inevitable, but I think the two bands are different enough that liking one doesn't mean you will be remotely interested in the other. That is unless you've got a thing for singers who sound like they are gagging and being shaken uncontrollably at the same time. Eh, maybe that's just me, but it doesn't distract me from enjoying both bands either way.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 25
I'm 17 and a big Radiohead fan... Never listened to Muse, always considered them a Radiohead ripoff. Are they worth a go?

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 17 and a big Radiohead fan... Never listened to Muse, always considered them a Radiohead ripoff. Are they worth a go?

meh, Absolution is good, but the band (and their recent upwelling of fans) are pretty proud of themselves.

listen to them with an open mind, but don't fall for the hype.

anyone who puts them in the same league as Radiohead? haha.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh, Absolution is good, but the band (and their recent upwelling of fans) are pretty proud of themselves.

listen to them with an open mind, but don't fall for the hype.

anyone who puts them in the same league as Radiohead? haha.

So what you are saying is my opinion > your opinion? Okay.

As for this, when I was 14 no one knew of either save for the musicians, and the musicians liked both and validly so.

Personally I prefer radiohead overall but both sides have major downsides for me. Muse has completely lost their edge: their sound was gritty and it was great and a little different to other "pop rock" sort of groups.

Radiohead? Well at times radiohead are pretentious just for the sake of being pretentious. I have a real problem with their discarding of several tracks for the sake of the whole album these days and because of this I sincerely think they will never outdo OK Computer, just as I think Muse will never outdo OoS.

As for muse being being a ripoff of radiohead... ehh. A lot of people like to tag OoS as a rip of of OK Computer because they sound similar through ibuds. The music is fairly different, and to be frank I'd sooner call muse a Queen ripoff, although I consider the similarities to be more of a tribute.

It's funny that a (now maisntream) band gets a lot of flak for being 'rip-offs' when jazz musicians playing coltrane licks are not. I guess its because most of the people who go to jazz clubs are either cultured in that respect or play music and as such understand the concept of inspiration/dedication etc.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 25
I'm 47, yes forty seven, and I listen to Muse and Radiohead but more Muse. I've been listening to them since just before Absolution came out. I don't hear similarities between them and Radiohead but I could understand how some do especially since they are both British bands.

I haven't seen Radiohead in concert but Muse puts on a great show unfortunately they have blown up in the U.S. and the days of 1000 seat venues are gone I'm afraid. Their latest is just okay with me. Undisclosed Desires is dreadful and the Exogenesis stuff at the end is too symphonic. If I wanted to listen to a symphony I'd go to a symphony. If they continue toward the pop path that they seem to be headed down, I shant listen further.

Separated at birth?

Thom+Yorke++14.jpg
deliv01.jpg

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both are labeled as alternative rock, but the whole alternative rock genre is very loosely defined and there's very little similarity between Muse and Radiohead. Radiohead is a lot more experimental, artsy and as some would say pretentious. Muse has more prog influences in their songs and leans more towards pop/rock. And has more mainstream appeal.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what you are saying is my opinion > your opinion? Okay.

no.

what i'm saying is my opinion > your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back