Radiohead LP8 is coming soon
Jun 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

fuseboxx

500+ Head-Fier
That's all, really. It's coming soon.

LINK

Quote:
"Radiohead are making progress in the studio. The band started recording past Winter and are currently in the studio working on the last bits. Ed O’Brien said it will be a matter of weeks till it’s finished and hopes to see the release before the end of this year. ‘It has got to. I hope so’"

How much do you guys think do they have left in the tank? Are they due for a stinker? As far as the poll goes, I think this upcoming LP will be a mid-tier album --- better than Pablo Honey, Amnesiac & HttT, but worse than the rest.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 20
I'm looking forward to it! They are a great band! There will be elements of the creativity and musicianship that made them great, but I have no doubt that they will continue to evolve in a way that will leave some scratching their heads. That's how bands survive two plus decades...

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 20
Omnomnomnomnomnom, I'm hoping they use some stylistic elements from Harry Patch and Jonny Greenwood's solo efforts in orchestration. But as with ever album they've made, it's sure to disappoint many when they go in one direction that they're not known for.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
That's all, really. It's coming soon.

LINK

How much do you guys think do they have left in the tank? Are they due for a stinker? As far as the poll goes, I think this upcoming LP will be a mid-tier album --- better than Pablo Honey, Amnesiac & HttT, but worse than the rest.

Um what? Amnesiac is on par with OK Computer in terms of perfection.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 20
I hope radiohead go a little bit more out of there comfort zone in this record. It would be cool to see them collaborate with other artists.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Um what? Amnesiac is on par with OK Computer in terms of perfection.

To you, maybe. I never liked it. Every time an OK Computer song pops up on shuffle I feel the need to listen to the whole album. Amnesiac, if I'm not in the mood I may even skip it.

My subjective ranking: Pablo Honey, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, (probably LP8), In Rainbows, (hopefully LP8), Kid A, The Bends, OK Computer. Keep in mind that the top three are in a whole new level, the top two perhaps one beyond that.

I voted #5, as I will remain skeptical of the Fourth Coming until I hear something.

Am I alone in hoping they actually step back closer to their alt. rock roots? Seems everyone wants them to step out of their "comfort zone", which is not a term I would say applies to Radiohead. With The Bends and OK Computer being (IMO) the heaviest hitters song for song, I'd love to see something more like them than Kid A and friends.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 20
In Rainbows is arguably their best album. Radiohead are really getting better and  better as they go along. I'm completely optimistic for their new album. If songs like The Present Tense are an indicator of the album's quality, then I think it's going to be magical.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
In Rainbows is arguably their best album. Radiohead are really getting better and  better as they go along. I'm completely optimistic for their new album. If songs like The Present Tense are an indicator of the album's quality, then I think it's going to be magical.

I'm a "Kid A" person myself, but I loved "In Rainbows." I saw them live on that tour. Like you, I'm optimistic that the next album could be special...

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
To you, maybe. I never liked it. Every time an OK Computer song pops up on shuffle I feel the need to listen to the whole album. Amnesiac, if I'm not in the mood I may even skip it.

My subjective ranking: Pablo Honey, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, (probably LP8), In Rainbows, (hopefully LP8), Kid A, The Bends, OK Computer. Keep in mind that the top three are in a whole new level, the top two perhaps one beyond that.

I voted #5, as I will remain skeptical of the Fourth Coming until I hear something.

Am I alone in hoping they actually step back closer to their alt. rock roots? Seems everyone wants them to step out of their "comfort zone", which is not a term I would say applies to Radiohead. With The Bends and OK Computer being (IMO) the heaviest hitters song for song, I'd love to see something more like them than Kid A and friends.

Yes, OK Computer is weird like that, as much as Thom tells us it's not, it's a concept album, and needs to be heard as a whole.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 20
I think I'm the only person ever who isn't completely gobsmacked by OK Computer. Sure, it's pretty good but not incredible imho.

Kid A on the other hand...

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
I think I'm the only person ever who isn't completely gobsmacked by OK Computer. Sure, it's pretty good but not incredible imho.

Kid A on the other hand...

I assure you that you're not the only one. Kid A and In Rainbows kick the bejesus out of OK Computer, in my opinion
wink_face.gif

Hell, I enjoy listening to Amnesiac more than OK Computer. However, I don't think that's all that controversial, because Amnesiac is an awesome album.

Hail to the Thief had some killer tracks, but it had way too much filler. I think if you trimmed around 4 or 5 songs on Hail to the Thief, it would be a perfect album.

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 20
To tell the truth In Rainbows was not as epic as I expected it to be. Bodysnatchers is boring until the middle of the song and how they changed videotape from the 2006 live versions is sad. Also the lack of transitions between songs is a really big drag to me OK and Kid A both have some great transitions and that is what IR is majorly lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back