Radio Interference
Mar 13, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 37
That is damn strange dude.i have never had a radio station enter through a mains cord but only line level where it was "received" and amplified by a gain stage.

Sounds like it is time for both a ferite blocker on the AC cables just in case the RFI is an "airborne" transmission,put them as close to the inlet as you can get them,combined with a good CLC AC mains filters.

Best scenario would be to get them inside your audio gear by removing the present IEC inlets (assuming that is what you have) and replacing them with the types that have the built in RFI filters if there is room.Cheap and easy fix.
If not then you need an "out of the box" fix and that can mean anything from simple and cheap to expensive and a pain in the a*s but if you are up to it totally doable as a project.

a bit more radical is something like this ;

http://www.triode-systems.com/module...p?articleid=26

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 37
thanks - the Audiopax dealer here is convinced it is airborne. An option (suggested by a fellow hfier) would be to run a power cable from another room with "clean power" but this would mean a run of at least 15 metres and I guess an associated degradation in the power supplied. My laptop does pick up a wireless network in my apartment even though I have not set one up (perhaps a neighbours) and not sure how I prevent this from interfering.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

but this would mean a run of at least 15 metres and I guess an associated degradation in the power supplied

12 guage,10 if you can get it or you risk a fire.

I have actually witnessed non audio equipement that would flat out not work at full power without BOTH a heavy guage cable and a short run of that cable and is what convinced me years ago AC cables have to have an impact on sonics.When you see and touch a thing no amount of ravings online by non beleivers can match up.Power from the wall to the gear is important.Maybe even more than the actual power supply since it can never replace something lost but only reproduce what is fed in.

If you do a long run and with lighter guage cable feel the actual cable occasionally and if it is getting warm or the plugs themselves HOT unplug immediately and look for another solution !

You WILL have a fire if left in that condition and the way things usually work while you are asleep and unsuspecting.

Good luck man.You are in Stage-2 of the biggest pain in the a*s in all of audio with the only thing worse being a mixed A/V/SATV/CATV/FM antenna system with ground loops.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 37
crap !

should have added go to a local building supply store and buy the wire on a spool.It is the same stuff inside most modern walls no matter the country and labelled !2/2 or 10/2 Romex.

Ugly nasty looking stuff being all white and flat and is the worst to bend being solid wire inside but when you throw some serious hospital grade high current connectors on the ends you will have the best and safest methods to do a long run.

No extension cord can compete and it IS the stuff used in walls directly from the breaker panel where the AC enters the building.

If the "UGLY" bothers you just drss that puppy up with some cable covers.Won't do squat for the operating but will make it look better and we all know

IF IT LOOKS GOOD IT JUST GOTTA SOUND GOOD !

very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 37
I think I am now sure that it is airborne. When I got hom tonight I adjusted the speaker cable by taping it down (before it was quite high in the air between the speaker and amp) and the RFI seemed to reduce in intensity although it was still present.

Mar 13, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 37
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Headphone AND speakers ?

where the hell do you live man ? Inside a radio transmitter ?

that is some serious RF radiation if it effects everything to that extreme so again,filter EVERYTHING right where it enters or exits the audio device and that means

1-AC
2-Line level inputs and outputs
3-Speaker level output from the amp (simple cap/resistor in a box)
4-maybe even right at the speaker also
rolleyes.gif

any place there is a cable of any type either entering something or leaving it is inline for RFI protection and if the combination of relatively clean filtered AC and filtered audio does not work you have me 100% baffled.

100% Faraday shiled coverage for the entire system ? got me man.

BTW-you sure it is not YOU ?

Some humans for whatever reason attract electricity (shocks when they touch metal) or are human radio generators (every time they adjuect the volume control the tone changes while they are in contact
very_evil_smiley.gif
too damn funny actually
icon10.gif
)

Just on a whim have you had someone else operate the controls while you listen from a distance or is it you right there every time this happens ?

No joke man.serious
icon10.gif

still too funny though,the images of you walking through the house and lights turn on as you pass then off as you go by
icon10.gif

better than a "clapper" just walk by and bzzzzt

sorry
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

If it's a ground loop, get rid of all but one grounded cord on each outlet if you have 3-pin cables.

DO NOT DO THIS !

that third lug is called a safety ground and is part of ALL building codes for a reason-Your protection

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 37
Read what's on the website. The ground plug can cause a ground loop hum. Period. If you want to get rid of it, you need to at least try an adapter (unlike me, I just broke off the pin from my $300 cord--PS Audio was on to something!).

For decades here in the States, most plugs had only two prongs and there was no fire and brimstone, even from a clothing iron or Mr. Coffee. Not exactly items considered feats of modern audio engineering. I have to go with history and the fact that it got rid of a nagging hum.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 37
I don't give a crap what the web site says I have wired hundreds of homes to CODE and know exactly what a grounded system is meant for.

Any electronic equipment over a certain amperage NEEDS to have a safety ground or the human that owns it can have a very bad day-as in stone cold dead !
If there is a grounded plug already installed it is not usually there as an afterthought but so the company does not get sued when some idiot electrocutes themself.

the day I let a suggestion that is unsafe go by without comment will never come and when any member chooses hi fi gear over personal safety they need to re-examine their priorities.

Having said that,anyone is obviously free to do whatever it is they want to do and my duty is to let you know the risk involved so I can sleep soundly.

You have been warned and my advice is research the WHY before you DO

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I don't give a crap what the web site says I have wired hundreds of homes to CODE and know exactly what a grounded system is meant for.

Nice. An electrical engineer and respected audio designer knows less than you do. Okay.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
the day I let a suggestion that is unsafe go by without comment will never come and when any member chooses hi fi gear over personal safety they need to re-examine their priorities.

Okay, so I'm putting my life on the line. I'm a wild risk taker. Come on man!

Some facts to ponder for the more logical-minded. PS Audio makes power cables with removeable ground pins. Why? Headroom makes amps where you can float the ground. Why? Many source components come with a 2-prong plug. Why? My 1500 watt electric space heater somes with a 2 prong plug. Why?

If I'm missing something please let me know.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Nice. An electrical engineer and respected audio designer knows less than you do. Okay.

obviously wise guy.

Are you too proud to actually read the codes ? The why there is a SAFETY ground and why it iscalled that or because some knucklhead says go cut your ground lead and it will cure hum it is gospel
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Okay, so I'm putting my life on the line. I'm a wild risk taker. Come on man!

Fry dude ! If you get electrocuted some day has zero impact on my life and I will change nothing that day.
My warning was to those who may blindly follow your "fix" Mr. Jones and drink the poison Kool Aid also

Quote:

If I'm missing something please let me know.

you are obviously missing a LOT and I could clue you but why ? You have all the answers and if I provide facts will again come back with your "witty" cracks instead of actually following up and doing some research.

You are one of those "if it does not agree with my thoughts I do not want to know" types or the time between my post and your respnse would have better been served by reading instead of thinking up ways to answer ME.

Quote:

1-Some facts to ponder for the more logical-minded. PS Audio makes power cables with removeable ground pins.

ask them it is their product

Quote:

2-Headroom makes amps where you can float the ground. Why?

they float CIRCUIT GROUND from the chassis smart a*s but you would know that if you were well read and/or understood electronic circuits

Quote:

3-My 1500 watt electric space heater somes with a 2 prong plug. Why?

I'd bet it is either double insulated plastic casing or has no U.L. rating because trust my mr knows everything,ALL my appliances are grounded or they are what is known as "double insulated" and I doubt you find a power amp built like a Makita Circular Saw
rolleyes.gif

Do what you want dude.In fact do others a favor and remove ALL the safety grounds from your AC mains gear and appliances.Do it man ! You will cure ALL ground loop problems for the rest of your life
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back