Radio Free Colorado
Sep 12, 2005 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been very fond of the streaming free web radios until now. I've had the Radio Free Colorado in my bookmarks for a while but only recently started listening to it. And... it's great! Mostly classic rock from 60s to 80s with no advertisements or any useless host gibberish. Just a constant music flow.

They offer a 64 kbps aacPlus (Orban) stream, a 128 kbps MP3 stream and a 32 kbps MP3Pro stream. While none of these is of course any "hi-fi" quality, I find the aacPlus stream surprisingly good considering the ridiculously low bitrate. Actually last weekend they had a "hi-def" 192 kbps MP3 stream instead of the 128 kbps but seem to back to normal.

Anyone else a listener? Other similar radios with a newer repertoire?

Oct 15, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 7
Listening to it too. They passed to 192kbps mp3 for good now. Awesome quality for an internet radio. And the music passed on it is definitely very good.

Oct 15, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 7
I got the 64Kbps stereo AAC stream to work on my LG 535 mobile phone. Don't think I'll listen to it much, but it's nice to have variety. There's plenty of Shoutcast stations to listen to for me.

Oct 15, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 7
you can always use last.fm.

it's free, awesome, 128kbps, and you can create your own stations or listen to stations based on other people's profiles.

..and plenty of other things.

Oct 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Radiofreecolorado is now broadcasting a 320 kbps stream at night and on the weekends, and it sounds exceptional. I'd highly recommend tuning in on a weekend.

http://www.radiofreecolorado.net

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Does anyone know what happened to Radio Free Colorado? They don't seem to be broadcasting anymore and the website takes you to Shoutcast.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 7
LOL. It seems the disappearing of RFC and Gary Burke who used to run it has already become an internet legend. There are forums and websites dedicated to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back