Radio Controlled Car-Fi
Jan 9, 2010 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Stitch

500+ Head-Fier
I've bit the bullet and going to take up Radio Controlled cars as a new hobby.
Its been lingering for like 6-7 years and never pushed through but i cant resist any longer.
Have been reading, looking and searching the net for over 2 weeks and next week will probably the time I'll be purchasing a car. It is a so called short course truck.
Team Associated SC10
7027a.500.jpg

Out of the box it has a conventional brush engine and conventional radio set. Future upgrades, when i'm realy getting in to the hobby, will be a brushless engine and a 2.4Ghz radio set.

Within a 20km radius there are 2 clubs, 3 off-road tracks and enough dunes/forest to play around.

Any more peole here into RC? Show yourself and your gear ofcourse!

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 97
I had several in high school... a HPI Nitro RS4, a Tamiya Pajero crawler, and some Mini-Zs. I found them more fun to build than to actually play with. They also seem to break something every time you run them... total money pit.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 97
I've got an old 1/8 buggy, an original E-Maxx and an HPI Savage 4.6. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any real clubs here so they are almost unused.
The Savage is almost new and though I really want to use it I somehow never find the time.

Last time I had the buggy and the Savage running I really loved it though. This summer I plan to get them going again.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 97
Nice thread!

I have had the following-

Losi mini-t
Losi mini-lst
losi-xxx
Losi 1/10 truck
Associated T4
Associated TC4
Associated TC3 Nitro
Traxxas E-maxx

I think that is all of them.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got an old 1/8 buggy, an original E-Maxx and an HPI Savage 4.6. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any real clubs here so they are almost unused.
The Savage is almost new and though I really want to use it I somehow never find the time.

Last time I had the buggy and the Savage running I really loved it though. This summer I plan to get them going again.

An E-Maxx or savage doesn't really need a club to shine now does it? I've seen the E-maxx in person last week and its size is almost petrifying compared to, lets say, a thundertiger or a tamiya DF-30ra.

A co-worker of mine already asked me to hit the beach as soon as i get the car. It seems he always secretly loved to watch other people drive around when he was at the beach with his kids.

R/C is just as much a money pit as head-fi is.
High-end R/C gear and accessories are just as expensive as high-end audio gear. Here we just don't jump, roll-over and crash into obstacles

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
R/C is just as much a money pit as head-fi is.

Definitely. I spent about 500 euro on a chassis, shell, tyres, batteries, chargers, metal components ... and then just ended up giving it all away for free from disuse
frown.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 97
I am also thinking about getting into this hobby as well. My main concern is it becoming a huge money-pit.

The thing I am thinking about right now is whether to go for something very cheap (and not particularly customisable) so that it stays as a cheap hobby, or whether I will end up getting more enjoyment by going for something still entry-level, but upgradeable so that I can improve things if I end up getting properly into it, and so that I can join a club with it and race properly

I am thinking about an entry-level Tamiya setup, based probably around an FF02 or a TT01 chassis.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 97
I got into RC airplanes a few years back, and it is a real, utter, money pit. More black hole than pit. I put it on hiatus because even though spending $$$ on something can sometimes be justified (say headphones, a new TV), in this hobby it's dollar after dollar, on and on.

I have a scratch built 1920's era biplane sitting in my closet that is just dying to be fully covered and jump into the sky(I've got half of the wings done
biggrin.gif
). I chose a small set of plans designed for electric, so the costs should be more reasonable, but I don't think I'll fly a gas powered plane again, too big and expensive.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 97
Audiophilia is an affordable hobby compared to RC. I don't even want to say how much I dropped on RC cars, none of which work now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back