Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #7,563 of 7,898
To be thorough and since someone asked me about the modded PeachTree GAN1. My last post on this.

I am very disappointed in the sound I am getting from the GAN1 these days. It used to sound a lot better but now it is rather lifeless. I can see why Danny was not impressed. I have over a thousand hours on this unit from 2 channel duties a few years ago. I also listened fairly recently with the CA-1a and it sounded excellent as before. In comparison to the Schitt stack and the VM-1a the GAN1 is nowhere close today. I may have damaged it with all the moving and testing I was doing. The GAN1 is a prototype like product, a more advanced version with I think a similar design, is the Daniel Hertz "integrated" units. Mark Levinson's new company, but he is charging a lot for those.

The Schitt stack I have is so good that I could definitely live only with it driving my SR1a or CA-1a. However, the VM-1a is even better (like 30% better) and my luxury purchase. As I said before the new RAAL phones will likely shine better with the VM-1a. That was my reason to go back to the VM-1a.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #7,564 of 7,898
I think 150 hours are needed for the wm1a, capacitors and other components like tubes can only improve.
Is your set of tubes the original ones?
I think 150 hours are needed for the wm1a, capacitors and other components like tubes can only improve.

on average an EL34 valve has around 2000 hours of work, while a signal valve like the 6SN7 can reach 8000/10000 hours. A lot depends on how high the working currents are, in the case of the wm1a I suppose quite high because it heats a lot.
Hi, Can you advise as to which valves in your view work best for the VM-1a?

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #7,565 of 7,898
Don't warry about tube life. At least 3000 to 3500 hours will last, EL34 doesn't work on their maximum dissipation. 6SN7 is even better. You will recognise when is time to change EL34(especially power quartet), sound will change characteristics. Purpose of autobias PCB board is to always match output tubes but when you have to change vacuum tubes buy metch quartet for any case.
Happy listening.

Best regards
Dragan Solaja
Solaja Audio doo
Dragan is the designer of the VM-1a.

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #7,566 of 7,898
Thanks for the suggestions. Where do you buy these tubes?
I had an amazing convo with Danny. We talked about metaphysics and the universe. It was awesome :L3000:

@Aleksandar R. Danny mentioned a 300B amp you were working on. That sounds very intriguing. I'd love to learn more. I think Danny said it was still in the development stages, but it would be cool to hear your headphones outta a 300B. I'm not 100% convinced of the 300B sound like others might be, but I do like the sound. I guess Elrog is gonna be happy...:beyersmile:
That was great fun. Just checked my phone, we talked for 3h35m!

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #7,567 of 7,898
That was great fun. Just checked my phone, we talked for 3h35m!
Oh wow, I didn't know it was that long either. Time flew by due to the great conversation! It was great fun :beerchug:

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #7,568 of 7,898
Yeah, Danny told me he specifically picked out the tubes. Though, I will probably do some rolling soon...

Also, the CA has become my second favorite pair of headphones I own (but only off the VM-1a). I'm going to revise my order and sig because of this :metal:
I was fairly thorough in choosing tubes for VM. Naturally, my evaluation was purely subjective in selecting Mullard EL34 so there is always room for someone's personal taste. So far, I continue to stand by the Mullard as being my favorite "current production" EL34 for the VM. The one significant improvement I can suggest, is to audition true NOS versions of the 6SN7. They've become very pricey at $200 - $500 (estimate) however, I consider them to be a meaningful and affordable upgrade. Being NOS, you'll find some are better than others and sometimes sellers are not always aware NOS literally means New Old Stock and does not apply to "used" tubes, so you need to verify if it's a true NOS. As for NOS EL34s, it would be unlikely to find matched quartet and matched duet NOS EL34s. If you do, they have the potential to be glorious.

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #7,569 of 7,898
I was fairly thorough in choosing tubes for VM. Naturally, my evaluation was purely subjective in selecting Mullard EL34 so there is always room for someone's personal taste. So far, I continue to stand by the Mullard as being my favorite "current production" EL34 for the VM. The one significant improvement I can suggest, is to audition true NOS versions of the 6SN7. They've become very pricey at $200 - $500 (estimate) however, I consider them to be a meaningful and affordable upgrade. Being NOS, you'll find some are better than others and sometimes sellers are not always aware NOS literally means New Old Stock and does not apply to "used" tubes, so you need to verify if it's a true NOS. As for NOS EL34s, it would be unlikely to find matched quartet and matched duet NOS EL34s. If you do, they have the potential to be glorious.
I should have wrote down that NOS 6SN7 you recommended. Which one was it again?

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #7,570 of 7,898
I should have wrote down that NOS 6SN7 you recommended. Which one was it again?
The 6SN7 has been in production since 1938. I would guess the "golden era" would be up to the 1970s or there about. Seems there is still a reasonable supply of NOS versions to choose from. Thirty years ago, I expected they would become nearly unobtainable, by now. Thanks to the internet, they are still around and though pricey, offer true price/performance value. Last week, I delivered the 2nd to last VM-1a with a 1960 General Electric 6SN7. It sounds beautiful and I've come to learn NOS versions of the GE are available for under $90. Certain, highly desirable, versions can be as high as $400ish. Personally, I haven't found a better upgrade to the sonics of the VM than a quality NOS 6SN7. There are many excellent brands from the golden era such as: RCA, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, Mullard, etc... Also, there are many articles about the "good, better and best". Happy hunting. Your efforts will be rewarded. Best, Danny McKinney RAAL-requisite

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #7,571 of 7,898
I am the one that got the VM-1a with a 1960 General Electric 6SN7. I mentioned it in a prior post. I do think the sound on the VM-1a is better with this tube than the prior stock one I had. I think that is why I am finding the gap between the VM-1a and my Schitt stack has grown (both are great).

Jan 30, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #7,572 of 7,898
The beauty of the input tubes are that they can often make as marked a difference in the sound as an output tube. The NOS tubes Danny refers to can be quite expensive, but the nice thing is that they far outlast the output tube in longevity, and therefore, even the pricey ones are worthwhile to seek out.

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #7,573 of 7,898
I certainly am open to tube recommendations if they will make a pronounced difference...recommendations welcomed

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #7,574 of 7,898
I have had a number of tubed speaker amps over the years and have almost always found NOS tubes to sound the best, probably because they were mainstream when they were manufactured and competition drove them to their highest quality. For the 6SN7 tubes I found the early Sylvania 6SN7W military tube to sound the best of all those I tried, either the black Bakelite base or the metal base. The VT-231 and 5692 tubes are also at the top of the heap.

For the EL34 I liked the Amperex Double-D getter version as well as the Genelex KT-77. Of course, the EL34 is a pentode and the KT-77 a beam tetrode, but one can generally be substituted for the other in most applications. As someone already pointed out, finding matched pairs and quads of these tubes is a difficult task, particularly finding them matched for plate current which IMO is the best way to match tubes.

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #7,575 of 7,898
For the 6SN7 tubes I found the early Sylvania 6SN7W military tube to sound the best of all those I tried, either the black Bakelite base or the metal base. The VT-231 and 5692 tubes are also at the top of the heap.
Tung-Sol roundplate 6SN7 and Soviet 6H8C/1578 crowd should be here soon..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back