Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #6,271 of 7,885
I posted earlier that the Star8 cable did not sound as good as my SR728 cable with my old RAAL amp adapter box. Well, I figured out why. I am using the CA-1a these days and the old adapter box is only for the SR1a. It is not supposed to sound great with the CA-1a. I was using the old adapter box to just burn in the Star8 cable, but I did do a short listen with the CA-1a and the adapter box and it was not good. At the moment the SR728 and the SR1a are not available at my home.

The Star8 has over 40 hours now and it is sounding super fine. No complaints now.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #6,272 of 7,885
I posted earlier that the Star8 cable did not sound as good as my SR728 cable with my old RAAL amp adapter box. Well, I figured out why. I am using the CA-1a these days and the old adapter box is only for the SR1a. It is not supposed to sound great with the CA-1a. I was using the old adapter box to just burn in the Star8 cable, but I did do a short listen with the CA-1a and the adapter box and it was not good. At the moment the SR728 and the SR1a are not available at my home.

The Star8 has over 40 hours now and it is sounding super fine. No complaints now.
Using the original SR1a’s Amp/Ribbon Interface Adapter for the CA-1a is like switching the wrong “Ribbon Type” (see green arrow) on your VM-1a amp.
You get a wrong EQ that doesn’t fit the ‘phones.
F935DC62-626B-4ED9-AA6D-8074B37024DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #6,273 of 7,885
dropped in a Ken Rad Vt231 into the vm1a and it is absolutely delicious. highly recommend this tube for this amp.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #6,274 of 7,885
Over the last several weeks I have had the following gear to review:
  • Raal-Requisite HSA-1b vs Raal-Requisite VM-1a
  • Raal-Requisite Star8
    • Ear speaker cable 6ft vs Raal-Requisite SC1 7ft
    • RCA cable 2ft vs WBC Mogami Neglex 2594 3ft
    • XLR cable 2ft vs Zu Audio Mission v1 6ft vs WBC Mogami Neglex 2594 3ft
In general, I evaluate gear by if they make an obvious difference. Not only that, the change needs to offer me an emotional difference in how I experience the music.

Fixed Parts​

I know and like these devices so anything new needs to match and contribute to the overall system.
  • SR1a
  • Chord Mscaler and DAVE
  • Streamers:
    • ifi Zen Stream on ifi Elite SMPS via Supra USB
    • Bluesound Node2i on PD-CF linear power interface and SBooster via TOSlink

Questions​

These are the questions I wanted to answer to determine whether I should replace anything in my existing setup:
  • Should I keep VM1a or (modded) HSA1b?
  • On either amplifier, is the star8 headphone cable noticeable better?
  • Is the star8 RCA noticeably better going from DAVE to HSA1b?
  • Is the star8 XLR noticeably better going from DAVE to VM1a?
  • Should convolution filters be used on chosen amplifier?
  • Which streamer is the best fit?
  • Is there a difference between running my m-scaler on its original SMPS or a MaxOak battery?

Background​

At this level, there might be differences but it’s down to personal taste which is better. My requirements are unique to my music and preferences:
  • For ergonomic reasons, I’ve focused my listening on only SR1a and sold off all traditional headphones
  • I listen to binaural soundscapes(vast, tall, wide, and deep stereo images) as well as electronic music(lots of bass, artificial imaging).
  • My previous favorite headphones were Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S on Violectric electronics.

Answer Summary​

• Amplifier to keep: Since I only use SR1a and the amplifiers excel at different kinds of playback, I’ll keep both amplifiers.
  • Star8 the headphone cable: I’ll aim to get the 10ft version. It adds bass impact, general detail, and separation. The cable makes more of a difference than the interconnects but less than mscaler "hygiene", less than the convolution filters, and less than the VM1a drive modes. VM1a and original headphone cable is better than HSA1b with star8 headphone cable. Reasons: Fuller sound (bass), more layered depth, singers feel of flesh and blood compared to just a voice. This is with regular music, not soundscapes. VM1a induces more foot tapping.
  • Star8 XLR: I will aim to get the XLR cable. Music sounds more relaxing and complete. The cables are nice to handle due to light weight and supremely flexible.
  • Star8 RCA: Not for my system and taste.
  • Only use convolution filters with HSA1b, not VM1a. Bass gets exaggerated otherwise.
  • Streamer: Having TOSlink out tilted in favor of the Bluesound Node2i.
  • Mscaler power: Battery created blacker background and relaxation.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #6,275 of 7,885

Is (modded) HSA1b or VM1a better for the SR1a and my music?​

Modded HSA1b VM1a
Overall Great for soundscapes Great for music with bass
Sound characteristics Lots of shades and depth. Relaxed and elvish airiness for soundscapes. Easier to take in the overall sound. Easier to avoid being distracted by individual sounds. High contrast and saturation. Easier to hear individual sounds. There is plenty of bass when in the recording. Alligators singing come through nicely. Voices are clear and feel human rather than detached from their body.
Power consumption at idle 25W stated200W stated
Running costsNone?Replacement tubes ~$300
Ability to tweak soundConvolution filters improves sound, especially for music. Convolution filters deteriorates sound. Tube driving modes do affect sound. Side note: placing the small and slippery mode switch next to the hot tubes is genius. It naturally prevents switching modes while the amplifier is on.
Hiss Dead quiet at idle or quiet recordings. Hiss in recordings is easier to ignore. Depending on tube drive mode, recording hiss being made more noticeable. Hiss inherent to the tubes also present (sometimes)
OutputsSpeakers (and other headphones)Only Raal-Requisite headphones
Inputs RCA and XLR XLR
Startup speedInstant half a minute
Waste heatNever had the amplifier go warm. A lot. The chassis gets toasty.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #6,276 of 7,885

My impressions of the VM1a tube driving modes​

It is interesting that I’m the odd one out that prefer the Pentode mode to the others. I used pentode mode for most of my listening. My preference remains for all kinds of music.

Why did I hear hiss sometimes and not always? In general, I am uncomfortable with tube amplifiers still. I suspect that VM1a makes hiss in recordings more noticeable depending on tube driving mode.
  • Ultra linear: Felt like something was missing in electronic music. When there’s hiss, it is less prominent than for pentode. Reminds me of the hiss of NAIM amplifiers.
  • Triode: I feel more at home in this mode than ultra linear. Bass might be less controlled. Music more 3D and organic. Raven calls are unnatural (when using convolution filters). No hiss. Maybe due to treble roll off?
  • Pentode: Lovely. Forceful and controlled, textured bass. Less distortion (obvious when comparing to ravens calling using triode mode). When there’s hiss during silent passages it’s the most obvious of the three modes.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #6,277 of 7,885
Which ear speaker cable fits me best?

Ear speaker cable SC1(?) The original one for Jotunheim R and SR1a package Star8
Soundscapes Lovely big soundstage. More mellow and relaxed than star8 Effortless, energetic, happy, detailed, deep soundstage. easier to hear individual sounds. Bass more prominent.
Electronic Music Lovely and spacious. Compared to star8, lacks life, detail, and stage. Bass has more detail, energy, and slam. More depth. Maybe there’s more energy coming through to the ear speakers letting them sing better.
Length7ft. Freedom in this length. 6ft. The shorter length is annoying. The 3m length would be preferable.
MicrophonicsNoneNone
Flexibility LimpStiffer
ErgonomicsOk. Flappy tech flex tubing over a thin set of cables inside. Premium. Taught wire in tight weave.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6,278 of 7,885

Are Star8 interconnects different?​

I was close to sending these back without having noticed any sound quality differences. Testing cables is hard, not to say boring when it fails to reveal any differences. I went with the strategy of listening to any cable combination for a longer period of time. Listening until I found something I liked or disliked and wanted to confirm if this aspect remained with the other interconnect.

Finally, I did find differences.

On VM1a and star8 headphone cable:​

Compared to Zu Audio Mission v1:
  • Star8 XLR offers more coherent presentation between frequency bands than my Zu Audio cable.
  • Star8 XLR removes thin, hollow character of certain Kraftwerk songs. Instead, the songs become full and feels like one complete presentation.
  • Same as the Star8 RCA cable, on my Skylark recording, the Star8 XLR cable has the lark singing beside me instead of above me with as with the Zu Audio cable. Need to reverify this. The lark moves in the recording.
  • The Star8 cable fails to lock into the VM1a. Only friction holds it in place. The DAVE end does lock.
Compared to WBC Mogami 2594:
  • WBC locks into VM1a
  • WBC is hard to rotate into right position
  • Kraftwerk songs sound better with star8. Better = rounder, fuller more pleasant notes. Honkiness removed. I fully admit that I might be imagining since it takes minutes to switch.
  • I don’t have any hiss while idle using star8. But could this be because of something else. VM1a is now warmed up, Could it be random, determined by something at startup?

On HSA1b and Star8 headphone cable:​

• Hard to pinpoint differences.
  • Vaguely I just prefer the WBC Mogami cable. Maybe the Star8 cable increases contrast and saturation in a way I don’t want for my soundscapes.
  • For my first version HSA1b, the RCA connectors are small to begin with. I can crimp the Star8 RCA connectors to create a firm grip.
  • Again the Star8 cable is supremely flexible and easy to snake into position.

For both connector versions, the pairs came in lengths that varied by several inches. Functionally, not a problem but surprising.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #6,279 of 7,885
Wow, what a detailed review summary! Big thanks!

quote: For both connector versions, the pairs came in lengths that varied by several inches. Functionally, not a problem but surprising.

Those were never meant (by me) to end up in anyone's hands but Danny's. We were rushing to wrap up the shipment to USA, then Danny wanted to try the Interconnect versions of STAR-8, then we just slapped two pairs and the wire kept breaking, so we just shorted it to terminate and there was no time to redo the others to the same length...

The STAR-8 Interconnect cable will most probably not look the same. will not have the same RCA connectors (I need the "chuck" type strain relief that those RCA's you got don't have) and I'm planning to change the internals a little bit..

I know why Danny sent you those to try, he wanted another opinion, a beta tester, so you got the working prototypes.

So, we might send you the new version, when ready.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #6,280 of 7,885
Pentode mode for me too.

Consider fibre optic streaming which I think will take the system to a higher level.

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #6,281 of 7,885
Pentode mode for me too.do

Consider fibre optic streaming which I think will take the system to a higher level.
I just converted my electrical ethernet to fiberoptic streaming and it does improve the sound. If you want any info on how to do this just let me know.

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #6,282 of 7,885
I just converted my electrical ethernet to fiberoptic streaming and it does improve the sound. If you want any info on how to do this just let me know.
I have been using Sonore OpticalRendu's (3) for the most part. I have an EtherRegen in front of one oR and that is a slight improvement. Not worth extra box count to do this for my other 2 oR's.

I recently got the Lumin X1 DAC mainly for the SFP slot in the unit for streaming. It is good but I think the oR is a tiny bit better.

I have LPS on the oR's which adds to the box count.

These 4 streamers are in 3 different rooms. I get the Ethernet to them via PowerLine (which maybe a weak point). I tend to use a network switch as an FMC, except for that 1 EtherRegen used in reverse order B >A.

Any suggestions on how to make this better. I am trying to avoid adding to box count.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #6,284 of 7,885
I have been using Sonore OpticalRendu's (3) for the most part. I have an EtherRegen in front of one oR and that is a slight improvement. Not worth extra box count to do this for my other 2 oR's.

I recently got the Lumin X1 DAC mainly for the SFP slot in the unit for streaming. It is good but I think the oR is a tiny bit better.

I have LPS on the oR's which adds to the box count.

These 4 streamers are in 3 different rooms. I get the Ethernet to them via PowerLine (which maybe a weak point). I tend to use a network switch as an FMC, except for that 1 EtherRegen used in reverse order B >A.

Any suggestions on how to make this better. I am trying to avoid adding to box count.
I have a similar setup. I use a Bricasti M1SE with network streamer and run my electrical ethernet from the router through a Sonore optical module to convert it to fiberoptic and then back again through another Sonore to an electrical ethernet signal to my Bricasti. The electrical noise on the ethernet is dropped when converting it to optical and then a clean electrical ethernet signal to the Bricasti. I also use linear power supplies to the optical modules and am awaiting two LPSs to power my modem and router in place of their crappy switch mode power supplies. So if you don't want to add to the number of boxes you might be done but you could consider the use of LPSs to your modem and router. I will report on how much this improves the sound.

Jan 18, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #6,285 of 7,885
I have a similar setup. I use a Bricasti M1SE with network streamer and run my electrical ethernet from the router through a Sonore optical module to convert it to fiberoptic and then back again through another Sonore to an electrical ethernet signal to my Bricasti. The electrical noise on the ethernet is dropped when converting it to optical and then a clean electrical ethernet signal to the Bricasti. I also use linear power supplies to the optical modules and am awaiting two LPSs to power my modem and router in place of their crappy switch mode power supplies. So if you don't want to add to the number of boxes you might be done but you could consider the use of LPSs to your modem and router. I will report on how much this improves the sound.
I do have an extra LPS that I can look into adding to the router or switch.

BTW - last night I was testing my Lumin X1 as a streamer into the Benchmark DA3B which goes into the VM-1a. In this case, I only had SPDIF available on the X1, since I used the USB out of the X1 for a remote control. I was rather surprised at how good the SPDIF sounded. I will compare a bit more with USB and SPDIF and the DAB3B. If I find that the SPDIF is better than the USB on the DAC3B I will sell one of my opticalRendu streamers. I can leverage the X1 for double duty. A bit more to it than this, but that is the gist of what how I will test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back