Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #6,241 of 7,872
Last Friday, I shipped my SR1a out for likely for some weeks. I am trying to get my extra RAAL adapter box and the new Peachtree GAN1 amp permanently joined at the hip. The person I sent it to has the ability to do that. Just exploring what can be done right now.

I have been listening to the CA1a with the Schitt JR specific RAAL cable and the VM-1a. I do not think the cable is the very best one from RAAL yet, I have been enjoying myself with the CA1a. I think it is the VM-1a that is making the sound really good. I get the Star 8 cable on Thursday and that should get me to almost SR1a levels.

The CA1a is better with music that has some heavy-duty oomph. I have been listening to that type of music since last Friday. A lot of fun.

Saying all of that, I was listening to the Beatles on the CA-1a, maybe for the first time on the CA-1a (or SR1a) headphones. Wow, it was like I was 13 years-old and discovering the Beatles for the first time. There was so much more music (esp. harmonies) on the headphones. It was like new music.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #6,242 of 7,872
Out of curiosity, am considering the ca1a.
For those of you who have both the ca1a and sr1a/b, do you guys find yourselves reaching for the sr1a/b more often?
recently after getting the convolution filter for the CA I have been reaching for it but truth is they are so different that they are both fantastic

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #6,243 of 7,872
Sure! The point is that with all "Star" topologies the magnetic centers of positive and negative conductor groups coincide in the center of the bundle, the consequence being very low inductance, resistance to crosstalk and noise pickup.
If the spiral around the central core is tight, the cable won't mechanically resonate with attraction and repulsion between the conductors, considering unusually high current we're passing through it.

STAR-8 and STAR-6 (Kapton golden colour)

STAR-8 size
Most appreciative. Thank you for sharing!

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #6,244 of 7,872
Out of curiosity, am considering the ca1a.
For those of you who have both the ca1a and sr1a/b, do you guys find yourselves reaching for the sr1a/b more often?
Pretty much both got equal share of my listening time.

Jan 5, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #6,245 of 7,872
Last Friday, I shipped my SR1a out for likely for some weeks. I am trying to get my extra RAAL adapter box and the new Peachtree GAN1 amp permanently joined at the hip. The person I sent it to has the ability to do that. Just exploring what can be done right now.

I have been listening to the CA1a with the Schitt JR specific RAAL cable and the VM-1a. I do not think the cable is the very best one from RAAL yet, I have been enjoying myself with the CA1a. I think it is the VM-1a that is making the sound really good. I get the Star 8 cable on Thursday and that should get me to almost SR1a levels.

The CA1a is better with music that has some heavy-duty oomph. I have been listening to that type of music since last Friday. A lot of fun.

Saying all of that, I was listening to the Beatles on the CA-1a, maybe for the first time on the CA-1a (or SR1a) headphones. Wow, it was like I was 13 years-old and discovering the Beatles for the first time. There was so much more music (esp. harmonies) on the headphones. It was like new music.

So RAAL and GAN amps are a good combination? I have been wondering because there is a big thread on Spatial Audio and GAN on another forum.

Jan 5, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #6,246 of 7,872
So RAAL and GAN amps are a good combination? I have been wondering because there is a big thread on Spatial Audio and GAN on another forum.
The LSA Voyager 350 RAAL are not good together. I got some fatigue. The PEachtree GAN1 is amazing with the SR1a and adapter box. I sent it to someone to mod, with maybe the adapter box with maybe bare wire connection to the RAAL adapter box. Not sure if that will make it worse on the SR1a.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #6,247 of 7,872
The LSA Voyager 350 RAAL are not good together. I got some fatigue. The PEachtree GAN1 is amazing with the SR1a and adapter box. I sent it to someone to mod, with maybe the adapter box with maybe bare wire connection to the RAAL adapter box. Not sure if that will make it worse on the SR1a.

Really curious how the Peachtree sounds without a DAC. I would love to hear more impressions when you get it back.

Jan 5, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #6,248 of 7,872
There is a used Peachtree GAN 1 for sale right now on US Audiomart.

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #6,249 of 7,872
Hi Fellow SR1a fans,

I thought I'd mention that Schiit has a handful of Jot R left on close out for $299-$399. I just received a second one as a back up. I bring it up simply because at $299 it is less than a typical cable and IMO so very competent.

Since the beginning of Covid I have owned 26 different headphones, but I'll be buried with my SR1a. I suppose I am a paranoid type. I already have a second set of drivers and pads, and now a second Jot R so come armageddon I will have my Raal. Having arrived over and over at the Raal as the keeper I am self interested to make sure I have a way to use them should one method or another fail with no repair option. There will always be other headphones, but there is only one SR1-a.

Some unsolicited opinions on the Jot R:

There are better sounding ways to drive the SR1a, they are all more expensive. And in some cases, they are only different. I have not tried the newest TI-1a with a headphone amp, largely because I have not pulled the trigger yet on the CA-1a and my whole chain is single ended. Eventually maybe.

The Jot R is especially good if you are willing to EQ and avoid the built in baffle compensation. I find the Jot R compensation sucks life (no, not just gain) out of the spectacular SR1a. I prefer Mitch's filters and/or my own EQ settings vs. the Jot R compensation. I leave it off and prefer the results. The Jot R with EQ can be spectacular. If you do not EQ, yes, it can be too incisive for extended listening. But honestly, I am not sure that is just on the Jot R.

Also, I cannot speak to the AKM version, but the built in multibit DAC is very good. And I have compared it to much more expensive DACs. I am aging and my treble roll off sneaks down every year, but if (like I am) you are obsessed enough to take your Raal on holiday with you, the all in one with MB DAC does not disappoint IMO. I may be easier to please than others when it comes to DACs.

Just a PSA before the JotR is gone......

Happy listening.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #6,250 of 7,872
... The Jot R is especially good if you are willing to EQ and avoid the built in baffle compensation. I find the Jot R compensation sucks life (no, not just gain) out of the spectacular SR1a. I prefer Mitch's filters and/or my own EQ settings vs. the Jot R compensation. I leave it off and prefer the results. The Jot R with EQ can be spectacular. If you do not EQ, yes, it can be too incisive for extended listening. But honestly, I am not sure that is just on the Jot R.

Also, I cannot speak to the AKM version, but the built in multibit DAC is very good. And I have compared it to much more expensive DACs. I am aging and my treble roll off sneaks down every year, but if (like I am) you are obsessed enough to take your Raal on holiday with you, the all in one with MB DAC does not disappoint IMO. I may be easier to please than others when it comes to DACs.
That‘s exactly what I‘m doing:

Having the JotR with me in my holidays and use my own EQ from my ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
It‘s true JotR‘s Baffle Compensation is different to the original SR1a Amp Interface‘s ones, see below:
The Schiit Jotunheim R doesn’t sounds the same as other drive solutions.
No wonder, it has a different Baffle Compensation EQ!
The deviation isn’t much, 2 dB from top to bottom, but enough for a different impression.

Here’s a comparison to the original Raal Amp-Ribbon Interface.
The measurement was done acoustically, by mic, from the SR1a, so represents what really happens.

Partly Jotunheim R’s extra warmth comes handy, but in direct comparison the Schiit can sound a little less detailed, until one get’s used to the other tonality.

Would be interesting to see all the other’s drive options’ measurements too.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #6,251 of 7,872
That‘s exactly what I‘m doing:

Having the JotR with me in my holidays and use my own EQ from my ADI-2/4 Pro SE.
It‘s true JotR‘s Baffle Compensation is different to the original SR1a Amp Interface‘s ones, see below:
Oh, that's cool. 'splains a lot I think.

This measurement reinforces some subjective impressions I have about the SR1-a in general. Finding a sweet spot is not simply about more bass and taming treble. Maybe the dip around 1K is killing upper vocal partials?

A lot depends on how loud one listens. I very actively and diligently try to keep my listening below 70db. I fear for my hearing and I want to be able to enjoy detail into my old age. And I listen 20-30 hours/week.

One of the MOST extraordinary things about the SR1-a is how complete it presents at low volume. But the Jot R baffle at low volume takes away presence and space information. This is especially true for chamber music, solo piano. I use nothing at all for solo piano at healthy listening levels. For music with important pedal tones, I just add my own shelf and still get the insane detail and spatial "cues" as the reviewers call it. I also start my shelf at 60hz to keep the texture of the bass, which is just incredible already.

But the blunt simplicity of the Jot R baffle should not turn folks off from it as a stupid value for using the SR1a. When used as a simple amplifier, it is just silly value.

Thanks for sharing that measurement!

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #6,252 of 7,872
I thought I'd mention that Schiit has a handful of Jot R left on close out for $299-$399. I just received a second one as a back up. I bring it up simply because at $299 it is less than a typical cable and IMO so very competent.
I have known about this Jot R closeout for awhile but finally pulled the trigger today. It's just too huge of a deal.
Now I can be that guy with Jot R monoblocks powering Raal :ksc75smile:

Jan 5, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #6,253 of 7,872
I have known about this Jot R closeout for awhile but finally pulled the trigger today. It's just too huge of a deal.
Now I can be that guy with Jot R monoblocks powering Raal :ksc75smile:
HA! Had not thought of that. Now, how would one work that out in a cable.....? I will not be the one to ask Danny for that!

Sorry Jon L to be a bad influence but, like you said, too good to pass up.

Jan 5, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #6,254 of 7,872
HA! Had not thought of that. Now, how would one work that out in a cable.....? I will not be the one to ask Danny for that!

Sorry Jon L to be a bad influence but, like you said, too good to pass up.
Danny and I are not the people that can give a good answer to that.

Usually, S-S amps do not like to work in parallel, if you connect two channels in parallel (which would make sense, as it will be doubling the output current)

Bridging will work, but it will not bring anything to the table, as you would want to load it with twice the impedance(as it will double the output voltage).

So, Jason from Schiit will be the right person to ask if the parallel will work in the first place, then think about the cabling...

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 5, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #6,255 of 7,872
recently after getting the convolution filter for the CA I have been reaching for it but truth is they are so different that they are both fantastic

is the ca1a conv filter from Mitch too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back