Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #4,291 of 7,885
Except that this one can do speakers, planars, estats, dynamic as well. So it’s really quite interesting.
I agree, definitely an interesting amp. I just get triggered if a company mentions terms which are technically correct, but a bit misleading :)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #4,292 of 7,885
I stumbled upon audiovalve’s website, and there’s this headphone amp called the Assistent 50-HP, and in the description text it’s said as follows:

“Stereo – integrated tube amplifier for primarily dynamic speakers with 2 x 50 watts and remote control, based on Assistant 50 chassis. Extended by high – quality headphone connectors on the front for all common models, such as STAX, magnetostats and dynamic headphones and also RAAL.”

I had a look at the pictures, but it doesn’t show SR1a‘s XLR male output. Maybe it needs an adapter similar to HSA-1b for non-ribbon headphones plugged into SR1a’s output but it’s the other way around? Perhaps someone can also confirm this. Link is below:

https://www.audiovalve.info/shop/headphone-amplifier/announcement-assistent-50-hp/

If this is true, then you would have your dream amp 😊 (and it has 12 tubes!)

Edit: I think SR1a will need to go through the speaker taps and interface box as with other speaker amps.
I have tried an audiovalve and it was a bit of a jack rather than a master. Quite obviously so, sonically speaking.

Never heard of this one tho.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #4,293 of 7,885
The Raal tube amp sounds interesting. I do think tubes help to bring the sr1as a bit more bass and warmth.

I have several questions though (which I guess we’ll learn the answers to in late September)
  1. Will there be the option of using traditional headphones with the new tube amp, like what we see on the hsa-1b?
  2. What tubes will be used?
  3. How powerful will the amp be?
  4. How much will it cost?

Raal/Requsite is batting 1000 so far with the sr1as, Hsa-1b, and the silver cable upgrade. So, if the past is any indication, the tube amp will probably be good too.

Somewhat off topic, I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to drive electrostatic headphones out of a new hsa-1b or the new tube amp.

Admittedly I don’t really understand the specifics of what is needed for electrostatic headphones, but wouldn’t it be amazing if you could use ribbon headphones, traditional headphones, and electrostatic headphones all on the same amp? That would be a dream headphone amp. Whoever builds it first (if it’s possible), will probably have a big hit on their hands. I’m hoping Woo Audio, Raal/Requisite or I guess Schiit produces a headphone amp like that.

Also, I hope Woo Audio (along with other manufacturers) come out with a tube amp that can be used with the SR1as. Looking at Woo Audio, they have traditional headphone amps and electrostatic headphone amps. I can’t think of why they wouldn’t want to make a headphone amp for ribbon ear speakers.

I guess it is true that there is only 1 ribbon earspeaker out in the market, and I’m not sure how many people have purchased the sr1as. So, if those numbers are too small, it might not make business sense to produce a ribbon headphone amp. One can dream though :L3000:
Keep holding your breath. Ha.

It would be great if Jason Stoddard took on this venture but he's stated he's chicken of electrostat design.

And that's the crutch of this encompassing project.

The AudioValve is plain mediocrity for reference.

Headamp had cursory interest in trying.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #4,294 of 7,885
Guys, on a different note, the bass of the SR1a on the PrimaLuna EVO 200/400 (EL34s) has to be heard to be believed. Nothing about it sounds bass-light. No convoluton filters, no EQ, no nothing.

No, it's an LCD-4 or TC-level bass, but very akin to bass on many Hifiman headphones (clearly better than the HD800s).

This is the 6th/7th amp I have tried the SR1a on, and by far the best combo to my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #4,295 of 7,885
Guys, on a different note, the bass of the SR1a on the PrimaLuna EVO 200/400 (EL34s) has to be heard to be believed. Nothing about it sounds bass-light. No convoluton filters, no EQ, no nothing.

No, it's an LCD-4 or TC-level bass, but very akin to bass on many Hifiman headphones (clearly better than the HD800s).

This is the 6th/7th amp I have tried the SR1a on, and by far the best combo to my ears.
Do you run it thru the interface or off the speaker taps?
And,
Are you using the stock tubes?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #4,296 of 7,885
Do you run it thru the interface or off the speaker taps?
Is it possible to drive SR1a directly from speaker taps?

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4,297 of 7,885
I've never tried it off the 4 ohm taps just to hear what would happen. The number of folks that seem to be driving all manner of headphones directly off high powered amps made me wonder.

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #4,298 of 7,885
No, unless used with a speaker amplifier designed to account for the frequency response (this is what the interface imparts).

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #4,300 of 7,885
No, unless used with a speaker amplifier designed to account for the frequency response (this is what the interface imparts).

Said speaker amplifier would also need to be capable of driving a 0.2 ohm load without either tripping its protection (assuming it has any) or going "bang".

The interface is there to provide a reasonable load to the amplifier (5.6 ohms) instead of the 0.2 impedance of the raw ribbons, as well as provide some frequency shaping.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #4,301 of 7,885
Said speaker amplifier would also need to be capable of driving a 0.2 ohm load without either tripping either its protection (assuming it has any) or going "bang".

The interface is there to provide a reasonable load to the amplifier (5.6 ohms) instead of the 0.2 impedance of the raw ribbons, as well as provide some frequency shaping.
Well, yea. You can drive the SR1a fairly easy with many older amplifiers...but... and it will sound like crap. It won't blow up.

What you should do is purchase one of the two available commercial amplifiers, build a more quality passive interface, or build a better direct-drive amp with switchable active compensation.

A simple life versus a complicated one, the audiophile dilemma. :laughing:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #4,302 of 7,885
It won't blow up.

By definition, then, that's an amplifier that is capable of driving a 0.2 ohm load.

Older amplifiers with higher output impedance might well get away with that. Modern amplifiers, or older units, with very low output impedance won't fair so well unless they've been designed from the outset to handle very high current flow. If not, they'll either trip their protection(s) (short-circuit/over-current, thermal), or will fail - possibly spectacularly.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #4,303 of 7,885
Sure. The generalization of older amps was more encompassing of, hey, if it can drive the Scintilla, it'll drive anything.

I would certainly not recommend it as it will still sound subpar.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #4,304 of 7,885

I do so admire your tenacity

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #4,305 of 7,885

Just contacted two dealers on the EVO 400 yesterday. Did a lot more research after your post a few days back, nothing but stellar reviews everywhere. I have a small trip next week and then I plan on picking one up.

That aside. I try to be as honest and transparent as I can be, so I think it's worth mentioning that I revisitd the HSA-1b vs. the Woo again with the TC and Susvara since my last post. The WA33 is still better to my ears, but it is closer than I originally thought. Pretty similar experiences with both the TC and Sus, with both, (although I think the Susvara has a bit more synergy with the HSA-1b than the TC, which I think comes down to the tonality of each headphone). The Woo is more holographic and resolving. The midrange is the biggest differentiator, the Woo just gets that perfect. However, the HSA-1b is not far in that regard and seems to have just a bit more low end impact. As far as speed, there is no discernible difference regarding speed and quickness of the sound, and not with my Marantz either. All of that said, the HSA-1b is pretty good with each, and deserves a bit more credit than I gave it.

Still, I'm very likely selling it in the next two months after speaker amp comparisons lol. As far as the Woo... the ONLY weakness it has (to my ears obviously), is having slightly (but meaningfully) softer bass impact. Not an issue on its own, but noticeable by comparison (at least with the Marantz and HSA-1b I have on hand). I have the standard edition, btw. I'm going to try a few different tubes and go from there. I think I'll land on two amps and keep one in the office, other in the bedroom.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back