Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,226 of 7,847
I have the Raal with the JotR on loan from a friend and I do find it goes from awesome to harsh quite quickly with a slight turn of the jotR volume knob.

Sometimes happens to me as well with some recordings.. But before adding 5000€ (!!!) for the hsa1b, I will try some EQ on the High frequencies

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #3,227 of 7,847
So how is the EVO400? That seems like a good option for an affordable high-wattage tube integrated for the SR1a. Any word whether you will be able to use the KT170s with it?

The EVO400 is a bit under powered with KT88's at 70 watts per in pentode modebut sounds very good but I'm not a loud listener. No idea if 170's will work, was not even aware they made anything above a 150. Being a transformer coupled amp it does exactly what I expect, very slightly rolled off at the frequency extremes but only slightly because these output transformers are massive. The unit weights 75 pounds.

The Jot R is a bit tighter, maybe more extended at the extremes but a little harsh where the EVO400 is smoother. But that's almost always the way it is, tubes vs transistors.

An interesting option I've not tried is the Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum III with KT120's and 100 watts per at 8 or 4 ohms. And at half the price of the EVO400 but doesn't have the same features and build style. Up next for me however will be the HSA-1a. I use the EVO400 primarily to drive my SonusFaber Olympica's with subs in my 2 channel setup.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #3,228 of 7,847
the amazing thing about this combo is the detail...last night I was listening to albums I have heard 100 times and hearing details I had never heard...in fact numerous times I wasnt sure if some of the sounds were coming from the recording or my surroundings...it is as if there is so much more to discern from recordings that we arent even aware of

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,229 of 7,847
Apologies if this has been done before, but could someone share their eq settings for the Raal?

I found one by Amir at ASR forum, screenshot as follows:

Screenshot_20201229-050620_Chrome.jpg

I tried it out but I didn't quite like the low end; bass notes ended up sounding like a soft thick snare drum. Sounded too distorted for my liking. The higher frequencies were OK.

I understand there are a lot of variables with the Raal, ie angle of the wings, placement and positioning and how it affects the overall FR. I prefer the wings angled out in such a way they just miss touching my ears; this has the best mids and bass for me. Angled farther outwards makes the highs more pleasant, but then it sounds a bit too thinned out.

I watched the YouTube video by Raal that shows how to set up the frame. Seems there is more to do with the Raal than the TC lol!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3,230 of 7,847
I tried searching this thread but no luck so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a good custom cable besides Moon Audio?

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should ask...Raal/requisite have a new silver cable coming out shortly as an upgrade. I've been listening to it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it! It's opened up the sound staging and transparency over the stock cable and when coupled with the HSA-1b + Chord DAVE, personal audio just doesn't get any better to my ears. MSRP will be $1050 USD and it is beautifully constructed and sounds sublime! I will be covering this entire setup (including the cable) in my upcoming HSA-1b review. :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #3,231 of 7,847
peter, you are a temptress lol

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #3,232 of 7,847
peter, you are a temptress lol

I enable...that's what I do. :p

That said, I've been putting this cable through some A-B comparisons over the holidays and I am quite impressed thus far with the increased level of transparency.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #3,233 of 7,847
Funny you should ask...Raal/requisite have a new silver cable coming out shortly as an upgrade. I've been listening to it for the past week or so and I absolutely love it! It's opened up the sound staging and transparency over the stock cable and when coupled with the HSA-1b + Chord DAVE, personal audio just doesn't get any better to my ears. MSRP will be $1050 USD and it is beautifully constructed and sounds sublime! I will be covering this entire setup (including the cable) in my upcoming HSA-1b review. :)
Danny mentioned it to me and I’m happy to know that he was able to send one in for review. I’ll check if I can get my hands on one...the “chase” never ends! Lol

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #3,234 of 7,847
Danny mentioned it to me and I’m happy to know that he was able to send one in for review. I’ll check if I can get my hands on one...the “chase” never ends! Lol

I gotta say, with what I'm hearing now (Tidal via Roon --> Chord DAVE --> HSA-1b --> SR1a + upgraded cable), I think the chase would be over...just such a spectacular experience overall!

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #3,235 of 7,847
I gotta say, with what I'm hearing now (Tidal via Roon --> Chord DAVE --> HSA-1b --> SR1a + upgraded cable), I think the chase would be over...just such a spectacular experience overall!
Awesome. Love the fact that we have a very similar setup and that our thoughts usually align when it comes to the attributes of this setup. It’s promising when a reviewer that has been exposed to a wide variety of gear, finds a setup that makes him believe that he might have finally reached the destination....for the time being.

IMO, The SR1a is a breakthrough in audio reproduction through headphones...it’s a game changer and enlightening when you think about what’s achievable.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #3,236 of 7,847

Did you happen to listen to the SRIa with an amp (maybe the AHB2) and compare with the HSA 1b? I am trying to get a demo with the AHB2.

If you can do an amp comparison in your review I think a lot of people would find that interesting. The 2 channel amp aspect of this headphone was actually the reason I even wanted to hear it.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #3,237 of 7,847
Did you happen to listen to the SRIa with an amp (maybe the AHB2) and compare with the HSA 1b? I am trying to get a demo with the AHB2.

If you can do an amp comparison I think a lot of people would find that interesting. The 2 channel aspect of this headphone was actually the reason I even wanted to hear it.

I have the Jot R here along with a borrowed my brother's Naim Supernait 3 for this. The great thing with the HSA-1b is that it is also a speaker amp. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! I'm looking into a pair of desktop Totem speakers since it arrived. :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #3,238 of 7,847
I am not one given to hyperbole and am usually skeptical of the latest and greatest but I must say that the sr1a along with the hsa-1b is something altogether different....I have or have had all the other TOTL HP's and this is the first that to me redefines things...is it the best?...who knows people liek different things and subjectively there is no best...that said the realism of the presentation and the clarity and detail and sound stage are stunning...if one wants to feel the bass in the chest or you listen to bass heavy music perhaps it isnt for you but otherwise it is simply wonderful...that said if I had to choose one HP I might choose the abyss or susvara simply because they do not require s speciality anp and can be used with other amps without speaker amps and converter boxes...for those willing to make the effort though!

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,239 of 7,847
Did you happen to listen to the SRIa with an amp (maybe the AHB2) and compare with the HSA 1b? I am trying to get a demo with the AHB2
Before any of the direct drive amplification solutions were even a thing, I had the AHB2 driving the SR1a. It had enough power to drive them with authority but it sounded lifeless, flat, clinical and was ultimately returned. o my ears, a Schiit Vidar power amp did a better a job than the AHB2, and even better in dual monoblock configuration. I ultimately settled with a SPL Performer s800 power amplifier.

Then the JotR was released, I liked it for the form factor and its ability to drive the SR1a with grunt and control for such a tiny box...but it still wasn’t better than the Performer s800 power amp. The JotR sounded thin, shouty and harsh in comparison. Fast forward a few months and the HSA-1a was released, it was a massive improvement over the JotR driving the SR1a but the conventional headphone output was mediocre. The traits of the HSA-1a when compared to the JotR can be summarized as a much better treble presentation - a lot less harsh but you could replicate that at loud volumes, improved clarity, expanded soundstage, better bass definition.

RAAL-requisite went back to the drawing board and the HSA-1b became a reality, mostly based on the feedback from early adopters of the HSA-1a. The HSA-1b is the HSA-1a on steroids, it does everything better, the most noticeable improvement being the conventional headphones output.

So the short version of my answer to your question is, based on my experience and my preference, the HSA-1b will do a better job highlighting the strengths of the SR1a and will drive them to levels that I don’t believe the AHB2 would be able to.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #3,240 of 7,847
I have the Jot R here along with a borrowed my brother's Naim Supernait 3 for this. The great thing with the HSA-1b is that it is also a speaker amp. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! I'm looking into a pair of desktop Totem speakers since it arrived. :)

It would be very important to me if the 2 channel amps can drive these headphones to their best ability (or near the best). I see it as a selling point for my background in mostly 2 channel.

I have 2 AHB2's and want to have a listen to the SR1a soon. The local distributer (Danny?) is close by to me so I hope I can manage to get a demo. COVID makes these things difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back