Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 17, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,791 of 7,883
These are on my radar-something to use as motivation. Time to squirrel money away and save up. Target: 4200.00. And I’ll settle with the Jotr amp/solution.
That is a very nice sounding combo. I'm really enjoying mine.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #2,792 of 7,883
I have a quick question to jot-r users. Do you shut it off when you don't use it or leave it power on? I am curious whether there are any negative consequences with either choice

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,793 of 7,883
I have a quick question to jot-r users. Do you shut it off when you don't use it or leave it power on? I am curious whether there are any negative consequences with either choice

I shut it off. Why should I leave it on ?

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #2,794 of 7,883
I shut it off. Why should I leave it on ?

I heard that turn on/off repeatedly may have a significant negative effect on some parts related to power or battery, if any. I heard some people saying that leave it on would be better for longevity. I don't know whether that applies to Jot-r.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #2,795 of 7,883
I heard that turn on/off repeatedly may have a significant negative effect on some parts related to power or battery, if any. I heard some people saying that leave it on would be better for longevity. I don't know whether that applies to Jot-r.
is there a battery in the JotR? I typically leave SS gear on most days only turning it off if I am going out of town.

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2,797 of 7,883
it should be 'capacitor', if it exists in the jotr. sorry for confusion.
not an electrical engineer but what I have learned from several amp designers is over time heat drys out caps but cycling the amp also induces stress to an amp. I tend to leave them on almost all the time unless I am going out of town as I am lazy and want to avoid the 30 minute or so warm up period.

There are benefits and concerns with either method, IE cycling the amp several times in a day or leaving the amp on continuously both cause aging.

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,799 of 7,883
These are on my radar-something to use as motivation. Time to squirrel money away and save up. Target: 4200.00. And I’ll settle with the Jotr amp/solution.
Historical- first ribbon drive hp- regardless, needed for collection. Have estats, dynamics, planar, now need ribbon(did I forget any)-I believe the mysphere’ s will always be in their own category.
You could add Hedd Audio's HEDDphone, which has AMT drivers.

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #2,800 of 7,883
I leave mine on most of the time why turn it on and off

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,801 of 7,883
I heard that turn on/off repeatedly may have a significant negative effect on some parts related to power or battery (EDIT: you meant capacitors), if any. I heard some people saying that leave it on would be better for longevity. I don't know whether that applies to Jot-r.
You are right, every electronic parts ages faster with higher temperature.

All electrolytic capacitors in a device suffer the most, every 10°C higher temperature halvens their life.
Long before the end of life (marked by complete dysfunction) they already have degraded specs.
Depending on the position in the circuit that might have adverse effects on the sound.

BTW: ask @Alex, he's a strong advocate in replacing capacitor's after two years of permanent use.

Silicon-based electronic parts like transistors and integrated circuits have a power-on / lifetime relationship too.

On the other hand, switching on a device only stresses the, usually 4, rectifier diodes in the PSU, but those are made for this kind of stress, and in case they fail, they can be replaced really easy and cheap.
Properly dimensioned they don't fail anyway.

The only thing that should be avoided are multiple switch on/off cycles in a very short time, within few seconds.

Few switch on/off cycles per day do not hurt.

Long time warm up sound change is a myth.
Unless you are living in a laboratory style temperature controlled environment, temperature does not stay constant in a device anyway.

Even if there is a sound change when warmed up (caused by half-dead capacitors usually), the working temperature is reached within few minutes for most devices.
After that, temperature is drifting up and down around that value due to air flow, temperatur and other environmental changes in a normal living room.
No further warm-up or stabilizing is achieved.

I advocate switching off unused electronic stuff, does good to the devices, your wallet and to the global environment.

A very important part is to unpower all those little wallwart- and little brick-style power supplies, their internal switching transistor has a limited lifetime (high current stress), is likely to break with mains power spikes (which make the whole device suffer too) and usually hard to, or not replaceable.
Especially bad with device dedicated, mostly expensive PSUs.
Same is true, of course, for devices with internal switched mode power supplies and no "make or break" power switch.

I do use several switched power strips arranged in groups for that purpose, and since didn't have to replace a single PSU anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,803 of 7,883
trigger pulled- hurry justin @ headamp - send fast - need my ribbons!

HeadAmp
ORDER #8455​
Your order is on the way

:beerchug:

purchased w/ Schitt Jotunheim R w/ DAC

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #2,805 of 7,883
trigger pulled- hurry justin @ headamp - send fast - need my ribbons!

HeadAmp
ORDER #8455​
Your order is on the way

:beerchug:

purchased w/ Schitt Jotunheim R w/ DAC
great combo, best HP I have ever heard but i would say the DAC in the Jotr isnt up to the quality of the HP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back