Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 17, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #2,776 of 7,866
Stupid or Paranoic question moment :)

Just bought a SR1a + JOT R. Everything great so far! Another league respect to the HD800s (which is still wonderful).

I have a question related to a possible Headphone Stand solution. So far I am using an Audio Technica Headphone Stand.
As you can see in the red circle, I am worries about the fact that some weight stuck on the connctor.
Is it bad ? Will something like this one be better: Headphone Stand ?

71mEhuxsMXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 10.48.53.jpeg

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,777 of 7,866
I have high hopes for the eventual purpose built amp for the RAAL. I do not think the HSA1b is solving the warmth concern as well as a the speaker adapter can with a well thought out speaker amp/pre amp solution. As of now I am using the Cary 120 mk2 with the Headamp GSXmk2 and it trounces the Schiit jotR. The JotR is a fine solution at its price point and does make a nice second rig option.

For those with the speaker adapter try a higher end power amp pre amp. The SR1a really comes to life in a way no other headphone/earspeaker has for me in my past 30 years of enjoying the hobby. the solution is massively inefficient but worthy of consideration in regards to the end result.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #2,778 of 7,866
Stupid or Paranoic question moment :)

Just bought a SR1a + JOT R. Everything great so far! Another league respect to the HD800s (which is still wonderful).

I have a question related to a possible Headphone Stand solution. So far I am using an Audio Technica Headphone Stand.
As you can see in the red circle, I am worries about the fact that some weight stuck on the connctor.
Is it bad ? Will something like this one be better: Headphone Stand ?

71mEhuxsMXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-17 at 10.48.53.jpeg
I am using a stand similar stand to the one pictured. (Omega) I just tilt the headphone to take stress off connector.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,779 of 7,866
I have high hopes for the eventual purpose built amp for the RAAL. I do not think the HSA1b is solving the warmth concern as well as a the speaker adapter can with a well thought out speaker amp/pre amp solution. As of now I am using the Cary 120 mk2 with the Headamp GSXmk2 and it trounces the Schiit jotR. The JotR is a fine solution at its price point and does make a nice second rig option.

For those with the speaker adapter try a higher end power amp pre amp. The SR1a really comes to life in a way no other headphone/earspeaker has for me in my past 30 years of enjoying the hobby. the solution is massively inefficient but worthy of consideration in regards to the end result.

I've been toying with the idea of buying 2 (silly expensive) matched quads of KT150's to to substitute for the KT88's in my EVO 400 integrated to go from 72 to 88 watts per channel with the SR1a Ribbon/Amp inteface to compare with my Jot R. Cheaper than the HSA-1b and even if it doesn't get me where I want to be sound wise I can still use them with my Sonus fabers.

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,781 of 7,866
I do not think the HSA1b is solving the warmth concern as well as a the speaker adapter can with a well thought out speaker amp/pre amp solution.

Just curious, have you heard the HSA-1b or you’re just speculating this? Please don’t see this as an attack, but If you haven’t heard it, posts like this can be a bit misleading to people looking for a solution to bring the warmth to their SR1a. On the other hand, if you heard it/own it, I suggest you to add a tube preamp to the chain and reassess the sound.

The HSA-1b with a tube preamp (I use the Schiit Freya+ with upgraded NOS tubes and the Woo Audio WA33 also with upgraded tubes) and I get the sound I was looking for on the SR1a, it brings weight and body to the low registers and mids and eliminates all the harshness up top. The standalone HSA-1b, straight from the Chord M Scaler+Dave DAC which is known to be on the leaner side of things, still brings enough body and weight to the sound that I would be happy if I didn’t try adding a tube pre-amp to the chain but since I heard that tube magic (the 3D holographic presentation, the sweet midrange and controlled treble) I wasn’t able to take the tubes from the chain.

Based on my experience, I still believe that a well designed and powerful speaker amplifier with the interface box may trump the HSA-1b but it will be at a much higher price point than the HSA-1b+Schiit Freya+ with NOS tubes. We’re talking about $4500 + $899 + ~$600 in tubes vs at least $10k-$15k+ just for the speaker amp.

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #2,782 of 7,866
Just curious, have you heard the HSA-1b or you’re just speculating this? Please don’t see this as an attack, but If you haven’t heard it, posts like this can be a bit misleading to people looking for a solution to bring the warmth to their SR1a. On the other hand, if you heard it/own it, I suggest you to add a tube preamp to the chain and reassess the sound.

The HSA-1b with a tube preamp (I use the Schiit Freya+ with upgraded NOS tubes and the Woo Audio WA33 also with upgraded tubes) and I get the sound I was looking for on the SR1a, it brings weight and body to the low registers and mids and eliminates all the harshness up top. The standalone HSA-1b, straight from the Chord M Scaler+Dave DAC which is known to be on the leaner side of things, still brings enough body and weight to the sound that I would be happy if I didn’t try adding a tube pre-amp to the chain but since I heard that tube magic (the 3D holographic presentation, the sweet midrange and controlled treble) I wasn’t able to take the tubes from the chain.

Based on my experience, I still believe that a well designed and powerful speaker amplifier with the interface box may trump the HSA-1b but it will be at a much higher price point than the HSA-1b+Schiit Freya+ with NOS tubes. We’re talking about $4500 + $899 + ~$600 in tubes vs at least $10k-$15k+ just for the speaker amp.
no worries but are you speculating as well? Have you set up the SR1a with a high quality speaker amp and pre? Also based on your post the 1b needs something to warm it up furthering my hypothesis.

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,784 of 7,866
no worries but are you speculating as well? Have you set up the SR1a with a high quality speaker amp and pre? Also based on your post the 1b needs something to warm it up furthering my hypothesis.

So that you know, I personally refrain from making hypothesis for gear that I’ve not heard.

I’ve owned the SR1a for almost 1.5Y now and have tried a few speaker amps namely Schiit Vidar in Stereo mode, SPL Performer s800 both in Stereo and Monoblock mode, Benchmark AH2B and Chord Ultima 5. I’ve owned all these amps except the Ultima 5 and the results were as expected...

Schiit Vidar was good but still didn’t solve the SR1a shortcomings.

Benchmark AH2B was too dry and clinical for my taste, it made everything boring and flat.

Performer s800 was great in stereo mode but even better in Monoblock configuration but the setup was overkill for the SR1a and I moved them to my speaker rig.

I tried the Ultima 5 for 3 days only as it was a demo unit and the performance was exceptional, the speed, decay and transient response being the most impressive characteristics but I couldn’t justify the $$$ for the improvements over the HSA-1a / HSA-1b.

These are the amps that I’ve had hands on experience with, I’m just not sure if some of them can be considered high-end enough to bring the best out of the SR1a. I personally don’t think that it can get much better than what I heard from the Ultima 5.

As for the HSA-1b warmth, I said that I could live with it without a tube preamp without any issues but I happen to prefer the contribution of the tube preamps to the overall sound presentation.

PS: I’ve owned the JotR, HSA-1a and now I own the HSA-1b and the latter is better than both the JotR and the HSA-1a.

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,785 of 7,866
I just ordered a new stand for my SR1a, I’m optimistic it will match the look well.

150F9ADE-7B0C-4DA4-B73E-9B114C1243FC.jpeg

I also have an Omega stand, but I think that might put undue pressure on the foam pads, aging them prematurely. I’ve noticed this with other headphones on this style of stand, and my preference is to let them hang free when not on my head.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,786 of 7,866
I just ordered a new stand for my SR1a, I’m optimistic it will match the look well.

150F9ADE-7B0C-4DA4-B73E-9B114C1243FC.jpeg
I also have an Omega stand, but I think that might put undue pressure on the foam pads, aging them prematurely. I’ve noticed this with other headphones on this style of stand, and my preference is to let them hang free when not on my head.

please lmk where you got this!!

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #2,788 of 7,866
I'm not sure why my pics have to be opened in the post a few back. But I am using an Omega stand and you can see the pads don't really touch the stand. At least not on the side.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #2,789 of 7,866
That stand in the link does look pretty nice. Just wish the top was contoured instead of flat.

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,790 of 7,866
These are on my radar-something to use as motivation. Time to squirrel money away and save up. Target: 4200.00. And I’ll settle with the Jotr amp/solution.
Historical- first ribbon drive hp- regardless, needed for collection. Have estats, dynamics, planar, now need ribbon(did I forget any)-I believe the mysphere’ s will always be in their own category.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back