Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #2,761 of 7,885
...On the other hand, I am waiting for people to try some high-quality, efficient speakers on HSA-1b!
I was thinking the same thing, small speakers powered by the HSA-1b for background music in my home office/study. Was thinking of the Gallo Strada 2 speakers, but the HSA-1b might be a bit on the light side, as 90 dB is not what one would call efficient, correct? Conversely, in my study the volume would always be low, just high enough to hear all the instrumentation and no more...
Isn't the output of the HSA-1b 10 wpc at 8 ohms? Maybe for what I'm talking about, the HSA-1b would work. Otherwise, I have a Quad 405-II that's been reworked twice, once in Huntington (UK) and once here in the States, at 100 WPC into 8 ohms I guess that would do the trick! Other than, I'm trying to keep things simple...

Anthony Gallo Strada 2 speaker, about 14" tall:
Strada 2.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Response68Hz to 20hz +/- 3db (in room with boundary reinforcement, speakers within 1 foot of wall)
Sensitivity90 dB/1 Watt/1 meter
Nominal Impedance8 Ohms
Power Handling150 Watts RMS unclipped music power. Minimum suggested power 10 Watts RMS.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #2,762 of 7,885
if anyone around Singapore looking to purchase the Black Dragon Cable for SR1a I have one up for sale. Its 5ft in length. Just literally arrived 4 days ago.

reason for selling: i want to get the 10ft cable.

Pm me if youre interested

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #2,763 of 7,885
Quick updates about the HSA1b:

1) The conventional headphone out sounds pretty good with the Susvara and 1266 TC. Not quite as good as the Master 9 but pretty good. I'd be happy with it as my sole amp.
2) According to Danny, the HSA1b shouldn't power the SR1a with a conventional headphone simultaneously due to their varying efficiencies. He mentioned "one will be very low and one very loud. As you adjust the attenuator, it will make it worse."

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #2,764 of 7,885
Quick updates about the HSA1b:

1) The conventional headphone out sounds pretty good with the Susvara and 1266 TC. Not quite as good as the Master 9 but pretty good. I'd be happy with it as my sole amp.
2) According to Danny, the HSA1b shouldn't power the SR1a with a conventional headphone simultaneously due to their varying efficiencies. He mentioned "one will be very low and one very loud. As you adjust the attenuator, it will make it worse."
How much of a difference do you notice between -1b and Master 9 when using TC? Also, the difference between Ribbon output and conventional output when using TC?
Apologies for asking many at once.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #2,765 of 7,885
How much of a difference do you notice between -1b and Master 9 when using TC? Also, the difference between Ribbon output and conventional output when using TC?
Apologies for asking many at once.

I need more time to listen and I'm waiting for the female XLR to XLR adapter from RAAL (being shipped) to connect conventional cans to the ribbon out. However, compared to the normal HP out of the HSA1b, the Master 9 has a better-defined leading edge (attack), more clarity and sharper, more holographic imaging. It's also somewhat more transparent of the source/music. ie. its sound varies more from track to track.

Where the HSA1b does better is soundstage size (at the cost of being slightly more diffuse than the Master 9), and smoothness/forgiveness of harsh recordings. The dynamics and bass punch are excellent, atleast the equal of the M9 here, perhaps more bassy.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #2,766 of 7,885
I need more time to listen and I'm waiting for the female XLR to XLR adapter from RAAL (being shipped) to connect conventional cans to the ribbon out. However, compared to the normal HP out of the HSA1b, the Master 9 has a better-defined leading edge (attack), more clarity and sharper, more holographic imaging. It's also somewhat more transparent of the source/music. ie. its sound varies more from track to track.

Where the HSA1b does better is soundstage size (at the cost of being slightly more diffuse than the Master 9), and smoothness/forgiveness of harsh recordings. The dynamics and bass punch are excellent, atleast the equal of the M9 here, perhaps more bassy.

Well, if you ever think about selling your HSA1b, I know someone locally who might be interested. :wink:

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,769 of 7,885
Same here. I never knew we were allowed to bend it that much. I’ll keep using it for a while. Hope I don’t get any migraine again.
That said, the amount of adjustments one can make with this is awesome. It’s like you built your own HP and know what to do.

I have been waiting for this for a long time... I think I got the phones early, but no manual, no nothing. And positioning is so important. Thanks for posting!

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #2,770 of 7,885
I have been waiting for this for a long time... I think I got the phones early, but no manual, no nothing. And positioning is so important. Thanks for posting!
No problem. I haven’t had any head pertinent issues ever since I stretch them the way Alex portrayed. Others with temple issues need to try this as well before selling/returning as a consequence of discomfort.

I don’t think they provide a physical manual with it. Perhaps, to be environment friendly. That said, one shouldn’t need it when they have it here: https://raalrequisite.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/sr1a-preliminary-owners-manual.pdf

P.S: Their updated website looks really cool! I’m kinda getting some Apple vibes here.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,771 of 7,885
I did the suggested adjustments, now there is no pressure issues at all. Most comfortable headphone I have.

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #2,772 of 7,885
Two questions about the HSA1b:

1. Is there a way to connect two of the SR1A headphones, or two conventional headphones? I already saw above that it's not a good idea to connect both an SR1A and a coventional headphone simultaneously.
2. Is the second conventional headphone jack a single-ended 1/4 inch jack or a balanced 4.4mm pentaconn jack?

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,773 of 7,885

1. Is there a way to connect two of the SR1A headphones, or two conventional headphones? I already saw above that it's not a good idea to connect both an SR1A and a coventional headphone simultaneously.
2. Is the second conventional headphone jack a single-ended 1/4 inch jack or a balanced 4.4mm pentaconn jack?
I have a proposal for 1. here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/post-15914390

Copy of the posting:

In theory, it could work if the two SR1A headphones are connected in series (electrically), using a specially made adapter cable.

Series connection means, the electrical current runs from amp's positive pin through headphone one, from there to headphone two, then back to amp's negative pin.
As the same current runs through both SR1a, they would be equally loud.

Looking at the HSA1b's power figures the amp shouldn't have a problem supplying the doubled voltage necessary to make the full current flow.

Calculating based on the specs, the HSA1b amp delivers ca. 9 V - into 0.6 Ohms (two SR1a in series) this would equal 15 A.
This is 3 times the current the SR1a is specified for, so more than enough headroom.

Ask @Alex about this idea.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #2,774 of 7,885

It's a SE 1/4" headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back