Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #2,746 of 7,888
Lucky for my wallet personally. I've tweaked my SR1a/Jot R system to "neutral" according to my tastes and do NOT want "darker and slightly warmer" or "more naturally liquid."
On the other hand, I am waiting for people to try some high-quality, efficient speakers on HSA-1b!

I'd still consider the SR1a somewhat lean and unforgiving even with the HSA-1b (pre-burnin).

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,748 of 7,888
I'd still consider the SR1a somewhat lean and unforgiving even with the HSA-1b (pre-burnin).
they sure are unforgiving....best HP I ever heard with good sources and absolutely brutal with poorly recorded stuff

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #2,749 of 7,888
Their characteristic isn't really ever going to change. Love it or hate it.

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #2,750 of 7,888
they sure are unforgiving....best HP I ever heard with good sources and absolutely brutal with poorly recorded stuff

I want to get more listening time after burn-in, but I think so far I'm of the same opinion.

I am happy with driving Sr1a by Rogue Cronus Magnume II fitted with Nos tubes.

It sounds refined and nuanced.

I still keep Jot R just in case I want wild and fast sound out of it.

The nice thing about the HSA1b is that you get both to some degree. But I agree that the JotR is excellent in those particular areas (maybe better than the RAAL amp).

Their characteristic isn't really ever going to change. Love it or hate it.

True ^

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #2,751 of 7,888

Adjustment guidance by Aleksandar from RAAL-requisite YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2,752 of 7,888
I just tried the adjustments in the above video. It made a nice difference in comfort. I had some temple pressure, not as bad as some have mentioned. Totally eliminated now. Easy enough to try, and the flex can be reversed.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,753 of 7,888
I just tried the adjustments in the above video. It made a nice difference in comfort. I had some temple pressure, not as bad as some have mentioned. Totally eliminated now. Easy enough to try, and the flex can be reversed.
Same here. I never knew we were allowed to bend it that much. I’ll keep using it for a while. Hope I don’t get any migraine again.
That said, the amount of adjustments one can make with this is awesome. It’s like you built your own HP and know what to do.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,754 of 7,888
I really like how you can adjust the sound on the fly. Very quickly, and easily. I make adjustments from song to song sometimes. You don't even have to remove the headphone.

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,755 of 7,888
I really like how you can adjust the sound on the fly. Very quickly, and easily. I make adjustments from song to song sometimes. You don't even have to remove the headphone.
Really, haha. Adjustments from fit and comfort to sound. These are the types of HPs we need.

Oct 11, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #2,756 of 7,888
did anyone try Black Dragon Premium Cable for RAAL? SR1a with JOtR are with me for a day and yes they are super fantastic natural (realistic) sounding headphones but the trade-off is there as well. The first time ever I can describe the headphones as bright. Raal made me realise my HEKSE spread it on the thick a lot but they offer fuller and more euphoric sound. The price for HSA-1b is just ... cosmic so perhaps with the right cable the sound could be guided a bit in the right direction...

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #2,757 of 7,888
did anyone try Black Dragon Premium Cable for RAAL? SR1a with JOtR are with me for a day and yes they are super fantastic natural (realistic) sounding headphones but the trade-off is there as well. The first time ever I can describe the headphones as bright. Raal made me realise my HEKSE spread it on the thick a lot but they offer fuller and more euphoric sound. The price for HSA-1b is just ... cosmic so perhaps with the right cable the sound could be guided a bit in the right direction...
I got the cable just Friday. Had a listen to it with Jotunheim R. Its true what they say here. It tames the highs. Buy it.

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,759 of 7,888

I just spent the past hour + comparing the stock 7 foot cable with my 10 foot black dragon using the last 5 minutes of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony 1st movement, on Telarc with Jarvi (lots of percussion) on A/B repeat on my CD players AES out to Yggdrasil 2, Yggdrasil 2 balanced out to balanced in on the Jot R (using Mogami 2549 2- conductor microphone cable). I can hot swap with no pops or noises between the 2 cables at the 4 pin connector, no need to touch the volume control or turn anything off. The Dragon in richer on the bottom end into somewhere in the mids, the highs seem pretty close on both cables but because of the bottom end improvement I notice the overall top to bottom balance changes subjectively so the highs aren't as dominant sounding. I kept going back and forth over and over because the Dragon gave me the impression of better transparency and impact as well. Not sure why there is any cause for this difference but that's my take this afternoon.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,760 of 7,888
It doesn’t make a lot of sense to use the speaker output with the interface box because 1) the SR1a output is there for the SR1a, 2) the power output is not high enough to drive the SR1a with the interface box (it’s rated 10/20/40W @ 8/4/2Ohm).

In discussions with Danny, he told me that RAAL-requisite ditched the idea of driving two SR1as at the same time, they decided to add a circuit for conventional headphones instead, to make more flexible and useful for a broader population - both professionals/recording studios and consumers/audiophiles. So you can’t connect two SR1as at once.

If you were to use the speaker output with the interface box, you would have to switch to the speaker circuit which mutes/shuts down all HP outputs - you can’t have both speakers and HPs running simultaneously.
In theory, it could work if the two SR1A headphones are connected in series (electrically), using a specially made adapter cable.

Series connection means, the electrical current runs from amp's positive pin through headphone one, from there to headphone two, then back to amp's negative pin.
As the same current runs through both SR1a, they would be equally loud.

Looking at the HSA1b's power figures the amp shouldn't have a problem supplying the doubled voltage necessary to make the full current flow.

Calculating based on the specs, the HSA1b amp delivers ca. 9 V - into 0.6 Ohms (two SR1a in series) this would equal 15 A.
This is 3 times the current the SR1a is specified for, so more than enough headroom.

Ask @Alex about this idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back