Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 26, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,027 of 7,847
Moon and YFS make aftermarket cables. I'm sure there are others.
Thanks, I should have been more specific. I'm looking for companies that specifically make cables for the sr1a. Moon doesn't have any at the moment. I couldn't quickly find any on the YFS site, but I'll check it out more. I have a bunch of custom Danacable cables in my chain. They are not currently making any sr1a cables at the moment, but maybe I can ask them :thinking:

Mar 26, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,028 of 7,847
Thanks, I should have been more specific. I'm looking for companies that specifically make cables for the sr1a. Moon doesn't have any at the moment. I couldn't quickly find any on the YFS site, but I'll check it out more. I have a bunch of custom Danacable cables in my chain. They are not currently making any sr1a cables at the moment, but maybe I can ask them :thinking:
Oh no, I was talking about the SR1a don't worry. I know the resistance is a challenge. Shoot Moon Audio's rep a PM. They told me it would be matching their current black dragon in terms of tier. Though I didn't ask if they could also make much higher end cables for SR1a. And yeah YFS you'd also want to shoot them an email.

In fact, this brings me into something I wanted to talk about. Has anyone else been having issues with imbalances? The reason I know about SR1a aftermarket cables is the cables I have stock both appeared and measured to have significant imbalances which has been driving me nuts.

This makes sense to me because the cables are only like .1-.2Ohms, so when the cables have resistances that are 30-40% off from each other that should be an audible difference (on Jot R).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,029 of 7,847
I had been contemplating building up a custom cable set for my SR1a but was hesitant due to the low resistance of the supplied cable and the stated effect it would have on the SQ. After posing the question to Torq, I am now going to build one up. I'll report my results when finished.

Message to Torq regarding this statement on headphones.com:
“I finally got a chance to build the cables prototypes I wanted to try for the standard * RAAL-requisite Amp/Ribbon Interface and SR1a.” and a few others mentioning the standard Amp/Ribbon Interface.

My question was:
I use a Jot R and am curious if it is as sensitive to cable impedance as the standard interface box? I’ve read the whole thread and find no mention of it.

His reply:
No, not as far as I can tell.
The standard interface box achieves its step-baffle compensation passively, with the SR1a and its cable all part of the compensation circuit - which makes its contribution to the final compensation profile significant enough to be audible.
The Jotunheim R performs that compensation actively ahead of the output stage, so the cable isn’t part of that compensation circuit.

Mar 27, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,030 of 7,847
My question was:
I use a Jot R and am curious if it is as sensitive to cable impedance as the standard interface box? I’ve read the whole thread and find no mention of it.

His reply:
No, not as far as I can tell.
The standard interface box achieves its step-baffle compensation passively, with the SR1a and its cable all part of the compensation circuit - which makes its contribution to the final compensation profile significant enough to be audible.
The Jotunheim R performs that compensation actively ahead of the output stage, so the cable isn’t part of that compensation circuit.

Cool. Please do post the SR1a pinout and parts you end up using. Nothing like making cables to take your mind off the lockdown :ksc75smile:

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #2,032 of 7,847
Hi,

It is true that speakers and headphones haven’t really the same quality of drivers.

I don’t know for ribbons but my Voxativ Hagen with a full range driver are more refined than any headphone available. Very audible for pianoforte or a Mezzo-Soprano voice where no headphone will let you hear intrusions like the one of the contralto Ewa Podles (Ariodante: Les Musiciens du Louvre, Archiv) really in the husky territory.

Headphones have less advanced drivers but for sure bring more intimacy with music. Then you can discuss the quality of this intimacy among the different technologies.

Speakers v Headphones: Not the same expectations.

Interesting driver here:

http://camerton-audio.com/binom-e

I think once these make it into a set of headphones, the Headfi community is going to take some interest. I still haven't had a chance to build my Camerton full range speakers. But this box of a dozen drivers I have sitting here is getting mighty impatient!

Update on my super interface box. Still waiting on resistors.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,034 of 7,847
Hi Jon,

Do you still have the 1200AS amp I sold you?

I liked it so much I bought a second one from you, too. When a little tube flavor is added in front of 1200AS2 amp, it's awesome powering Stax SR009 via transformers or driving Abyss 1266 Phi TC.
However, I'm afraid it's not a good match with SR1a when trying to use the stock interface resistor box :triportsad: There's just so much wasted energy.
Instead of interface box approach, I wish more companies would work on direct drive amps for SR1a..

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,035 of 7,847
I liked it so much I bought a second one from you, too. When a little tube flavor is added in front of 1200AS2 amp, it's awesome powering Stax SR009 via transformers or driving Abyss 1266 Phi TC.
However, I'm afraid it's not a good match with SR1a when trying to use the stock interface resistor box :triportsad: There's just so much wasted energy.
Instead of interface box approach, I wish more companies would work on direct drive amps for SR1a..

Oh Yeah I forgot. Great amps but the Purifi's with a proper input buffer eat them for lunch. I was considering making a direct drive unit, but then I discovered there's no advantage at all if you build a killer interface box. Sure I could build the interface box into the unit if I wanted to. Then it could be called a direct drive amp. But then you need to make a different product for speakers and the Raal headphones. So due to this I came to the conclusion a better interface box would be the better way to go.

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #2,036 of 7,847
Oh Yeah I forgot. Great amps but the Purifi's with a proper input buffer eat them for lunch. I was considering making a direct drive unit, but then I discovered there's no advantage at all if you build a killer interface box. Sure I could build the interface box into the unit if I wanted to. Then it could be called a direct drive amp. But then you need to make a different product for speakers and the Raal headphones. So due to this I came to the conclusion a better interface box would be the better way to go.

Will you be selling the box as a product when you do make them?

Mar 28, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,040 of 7,847
Anyone heard an HSA-1a yet? Mine’s on order, and I understand a couple are already in the hands of listeners.

I knew it was imminent but haven't seen any info on it except specs but was told they would start shipping this week. Anyone know if it is a (true) balanced amp? As this is geared towards pro-market and remote live recording ( I presume) would entail long cable runs so that would make sense and sort of explain the price a bit. As well as the on board amp to drive monitors as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back