Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,831 of 7,883
Yes. There's Jotunheim R in whatever livery and there is another one, RAAL-requisite HSA-1a.
Some quick and dirty pics of the prototype:

The changes to what is seen here are: the volume know will be mirror-polished red anodized, the logo will have red zig-zag line.
That’s great news. Sign me up.

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,832 of 7,883
Yes. There's Jotunheim R in whatever livery and there is another one, RAAL-requisite HSA-1a.

The changes to what is seen here are: the volume know will be mirror-polished red anodized, the logo will have red zig-zag line.

Great another reference point. I’ll be buying a set of your headphones soon. I have 3 clients so far with them. So I decided to work on a new interface box for them just for fun. I’ve been a big fan of your tweeters for years, and love what you have done with these headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #1,833 of 7,883
Inside pictures?
Thanks...

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,834 of 7,883
What is the volume pot in this amp ?
Schiit Audio use Blue ALPS Potentiometer in all of its amps which i dont like its sound anymore,
so i pass on any amp use that pot and i hope this amp use a different one.

It not Blue Alps. I don't know which it is, but Blue Alps is spec'd to 10k cycles, this one is to 100k cycles, that's all I know.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,835 of 7,883

Sounds like more review work for Torq!

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,836 of 7,883
Pardon my naivete but how would you connect a phone or something to the Jotunheim R to play music from? From what I understand it's meant to be a stand alone box but from photos I've seen I don't see an audio in for a 3.5mm, I only see the headphone XLR port in the front?

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #1,837 of 7,883
It not Blue Alps. I don't know which it is, but Blue Alps is spec'd to 10k cycles, this one is to 100k cycles, that's all I know.
Thank you very much , that's a good news

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,838 of 7,883
Pardon my naivete but how would you connect a phone or something to the Jotunheim R to play music from? From what I understand it's meant to be a stand alone box but from photos I've seen I don't see an audio in for a 3.5mm, I only see the headphone XLR port in the front?

Coming from a phone, you can either use a 3.5mm to dual-RCA cable to connect to the single-ended inputs on the back of the Jotunheim R, or buy the version with the DAC card in it and connect to that via a USB cable from your phone.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,840 of 7,883
Had a chance to listen to these yesterday at Bloom (thanks Andrew!) - amazing resolution and soundstage. I much preferred them to the Empyreans that I also auditioned, but did notice the SR1a’s were relatively a bit light in the bottom end. The set-up was using a Schiit Vidar through the interface box, so maybe the JotR helps here? Hoping to hear them again with the JotR at CanJam NYC... One suggestion I would make to RAAL would be to have a labeled ratcheting action for the angle of the earpieces. Anyone dropping that much coin for these is going to be at least a little neurotic (like me), and would appreciate an easily repeatable setting once you get the configuration dialed in.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #1,841 of 7,883
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,843 of 7,883
I don't remember a manual but the website and reviews had all the info I needed and check the accessories page on their website. One un-obvious thing, I think I found the serial# under the vertical pads as I removed them just to see how easy/hard it would be. I think they slide up and down / on and off at the bottom and top. The leather bands are easily adjusted / moved and I bought a leather punch for a few bucks off Amazon in case I want to add holes for more adjust-ability.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #1,844 of 7,883
I don't remember a manual but the website and reviews had all the info I needed and check the accessories page on their website. One un-obvious thing, I think I found the serial# under the vertical pads as I removed them just to see how easy/hard it would be. I think they slide up and down / on and off at the bottom and top. The leather bands are easily adjusted / moved and I bought a leather punch for a few bucks off Amazon in case I want to add holes for more adjust-ability.
My main interest was what the manual would say about adjustments. Especially the smaller outer band (not the metal outer one).

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,845 of 7,883
Anyone with the new JOTUNHEIM R with the internal DAC?
Does it also have connections to an external DAC?
If yes, what types of connection options?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back