Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #91 of 7,885
Will this headphone make it to CANJAM NYC next month?

I just had this conversation with Danny a couple days ago. NAMM ate up a lot of his and Alex's time so they've only just circled back to planning for Canjam.

It's likely to happen, but not a certainty yet. If they can't make it I'll bring my own pair and leave those at the Benchmark table for one of the two days. The only reason I'm hesitant at bringing my copy over is that they don't work with headphone amps, and I'm only planning on taking a single pair of cans with me to try and travel light.

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #92 of 7,885
I just had this conversation with Danny a couple days ago. NAMM ate up a lot of his and Alex's time so they've only just circled back to planning for Canjam.

It's likely to happen, but not a certainty yet. If they can't make it I'll bring my own pair and leave those at the Benchmark table for one of the two days. The only reason I'm hesitant at bringing my copy over is that they don't work with headphone amps, and I'm only planning on taking a single pair of cans with me to try and travel light.
Okay, sounds good, let me know what happens, I would love to give these a whirl.

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #95 of 7,885
Unfortunate that it seems I can't use these with my McIntosh MHA150. Interested in hearing them, but not picking up another amplifier at this point...

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #96 of 7,885
Any updates on ship dates or reviews? I’m so ready to buy these.

As far as I know the first big production batch is already in CA waiting on final inspection and pre shipment processing. My pair should go out today or tomorrow. If you order right now it shouldn't take more than a week to get it to you. I do have most of my review written but I want to hear the final version and also take pictures of the final product before posting anything.

Unfortunate that it seems I can't use these with my McIntosh MHA150. Interested in hearing them, but not picking up another amplifier at this point...

50wpc is too weak for the SR1A's unfortunately, although you could get a cheaper 125w+ power amp and run the McIntosh as a preamp.

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #98 of 7,885
50wpc is too weak for the SR1A's unfortunately, although you could get a cheaper 125w+ power amp and run the McIntosh as a preamp.

Yeah, I figured. No room in my headphone area for more amps. BHSE and the McIntosh MCT80 and MHA150 take up all the space. I never thought I'd ever need more than the 50wpc for headphones.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #99 of 7,885
Yeah, I figured. No room in my headphone area for more amps. BHSE and the McIntosh MCT80 and MHA150 take up all the space. I never thought I'd ever need more than the 50wpc for headphones.

The MHA-150 is a killer amp!

The Susvara and LCD-4 need a big amp to sound their best too.

I use a McIntosh MC202 to power both of those and these RAAL cans would benefit from the MC202 as well. You could pick up a nice Mac amp for around $2500 that you could use with all your power-hungry cans if that's stopping you... The MHA-150 could be your preamp as mentioned above. Don't give up yet!!!

I am excited to see what these can do with a good laid back system...

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #100 of 7,885
KSKNxNh.jpg

It's here!

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #102 of 7,885
Headshot, please!

I have lots of good things to say about the SR1A, but wearing them really makes you look like part of a totem pole or a particularly short-snouted elephant... :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #104 of 7,885
Is this the production version? And is that color of the carbon now silver and not black? Looks freaking sweet!
Yes, this is the first production set :) The carbon is still black, but they change out the foam color on the ribbon enclosure to black and the entire logo is now milled out instead of a sticker.

Fit has improved by a lot from the preproduction one, the headband contours a lot better and naturally wants to stay on your head. Loving them so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back