Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #781 of 7,883
I don't have much experience with speaker amps. M22 V2 is a class D, so you think even with good power and design, class D may not play well with SR1A? You think a good class A can improve upon imaging and make SR1A fuller sounding?

I know that people have had good experiences with the Esoteric I03, which is class D but with an old-fashioned linear power supply (and an extremely, extremely good one at that). Esoteric also does a huge amount of class D R&D in-house and they claim that 10,000 hours of real listening feedback goes into the tuning profile of their Class D offerings. Not having heard any Ncore amps with the SR1a's, I can't say this for certain, but on the 1266 phi, the Ncore amps that I have tried aren't nearly as good as the I03. You would be very hard pressed to distinguish the I03 from a 100w pure class A monoblock, and I wonder if part of it is the combination of extensively-tuned Class D with a costly power delivery setup on par with many $30k+ amps.

As mentioned in the reply above, the SR1a's require both max power and dynamics in output, and the part that I am less sure about is how well the amp responds to a large increase or decrease in load. That might be where the imaging problem is coming from. Pure Class A is largely an academic study and I would argue that unless you're shopping at a truly cost-no-object level, A/B or even an extremely well designed D amp allows for better components when the design is cost-constrained. The concern with the M22 isn't that it's cheaping out on components but that its design optimizes for keeping the size and heat dispersion low for a large amount of rated output, at the cost of important features for coherence with the SR1a's.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #784 of 7,883
If we consider say a Class AB amp of the same manufacturer to drive SR1A, would it make any difference to use say the 125WPC version or the 250WPC version? The SR1A adapter box just draws what the phones need (up to around 100WPC), but would the 250WPC version provide better overall performance with the extra headroom for bass etc?

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #785 of 7,883
@PeteSTRADAMUS Where you at Pete? I didn't see you at llamaluv's place for the raal demo...
I'm hiding between a rock and a hard place lol. Jk, but I didn't go. I had some things pop up on me last minute. I'll try again this weekend.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #786 of 7,883
If we consider say a Class AB amp of the same manufacturer to drive SR1A, would it make any difference to use say the 125WPC version or the 250WPC version? The SR1A adapter box just draws what the phones need (up to around 100WPC), but would the 250WPC version provide better overall performance with the extra headroom for bass etc?

Danny told me the more power the better.

He recently used the SR1a with a 700 Watt amp with great results!

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #787 of 7,883
Danny told me the more power the better.

He recently used the SR1a with a 700 Watt amp with great results!

Is there some scientific rationale for this. Would I get better results by changing my 135wpc Bryston 2.5B3 for a say, a 14B3, especially as considering that SQ is supposed to be the same across the range. Also, could it be better to get another 2.5B3 and use them as 270wpc monoblocks.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #788 of 7,883
I am assuming more current delivery and headroom. Results will vary from amp to amp. Sometimes way too much power results in loss of small details and nuances in the music. I have experienced this with my system regarding speakers.

Maybe shoot a message to Danny directly and ask him? See what he says...

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #789 of 7,883
Is there some scientific rationale for this. Would I get better results by changing my 135wpc Bryston 2.5B3 for a say, a 14B3, especially as considering that SQ is supposed to be the same across the range. Also, could it be better to get another 2.5B3 and use them as 270wpc monoblocks.

My understanding is that there are a couple effects at play

- Amp performance is not typically measured at max rated output and most amp are at least a bit better at <50% load instead of 90%+ loads.
- Stronger amps may have more current at a given wattage and better fit the current drive nature of the SR1a's.
- Stronger amps have better power supplies and are more resistant to power line noise issues, this is probably more of an issue with sensitive cans though.
- Better dynamics come from the ability to handle rapidly alternating power loads, something that would benefit from headrooom.

I have noticed a significant improvement from introducing a second Nagra Classic AMP in a monoblock config over just using a single AMP running on the Nagra Melody. If I could swing the second 2.5B3, I would go for it.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #790 of 7,883
I am assuming more current delivery and headroom. Results will vary from amp to amp. Sometimes way too much power results in loss of small details and nuances in the music. I have experienced this with my system regarding speakers.

Maybe shoot a message to Danny directly and ask him? See what he says...
LOL some customer service he's giving... That guy takes FOREVER to respond to emails. :triumph:

So don't bother emailing just call.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #791 of 7,883

A lot of amplifiers are 4 ohms stable, and many are stable down to 1 ohm. In that case a simple series resistor plus either a passive filter at the input or
passive filter in the feedback loop (uberamp2 et all) give far better overall performance, and less heat and stress on the amp.
Still don't have the exact values for the filter, but this gives the idea. also a lot easier to change values on a passive input filter

raal.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #793 of 7,883
You better man.. Otherwise our Serbian boys will pay you a little visit...

1614178-bigthumbnail.jpg
I'm from Jersey... the land where you fear no man lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back