Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Dec 19, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #7,231 of 7,885
I own the freya + and the aegir for my 2 channel rig driving a pair of Zu Union 6s. I just need to get the TL-1b to give that pair a try. The Mjolnir-3 is on my list to try to drive my collection on closed back headphones that I find I need at times.
Another option would be to contact Danny at RAAL Requisite since he is in Ventura and see if you could bring by your amps and SR-1a/b his place to try out them with the TI-1b. I drive my SR-1b with my Benchmark HPA4 amp using the TI-1b to great effect.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #7,232 of 7,885
The Aegir is amazing with the TL-1b. The Mjolnir is not good using the RAAL cable to directly drive the SR1a and CA-1a. A shame. However, hook up the Aegir to the Mjolnir and you are skirting VM-1a territory.

I owned the Freya+. I like the Mjolnir much more.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #7,233 of 7,885
Some midweek musical bliss with the SR-1a. Here it is running out of the SAEQ HSA-1C. The SAEQ Hyperion Ge is also excellent driving the the SR-1a via the TI-1b.

The Shanling ET-3 is a CD player on steroids because it upsamples via IS2 and other connections (except USB). It also has great connectivity via BT, DLNA, Airplay, NAS, USB HDD etc.

IMG_1447.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #7,234 of 7,885
For the ti1c box, I have discovered that different footers also have impact on the sound, I am using cms centerstage right now and before I tried ultra ss of stillpoints, it also reflect the footers' character on the sound quality. If someone who is extremely detailed on playing this sr1b or ca1a, I recommend you can try different footers, and also changing the plug of star8 to get improvement on sound quality, of course the cable from your amp to the ti1c has a great impact as well.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #7,235 of 7,885
It’s here!
IMG_6264.jpeg

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #7,236 of 7,885
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #7,237 of 7,885
A Valkyria in RAALand

Valkyria first duty, as a servant of Odin, is to shepherd battle-fallen worthy heroes to Valhalla.

In carrying out this task, the Valkyria often travels remote lands, sometimes inhabited by strange creatures.

One day our heroine entered the mysterious RAALand, a territory where cybernetic things, made of raw metals, rocky shells, exotic composite materials and reddish glowing glass vessels are told – according to the Legends – to dominate the landscape.

Her first encounter took the V. by surprise. It was a lithe winged animal - half butterfly, half dragon - who introduced herself as SR1a (Sarah?). Sarah had open ribbed wings, with a mysterious tessellated surface remembering the structure of a honeycomb. She was ethereal and menacing at the same time. Her voice was light, pure, apparently coming out of nowhere like a far cry. She was capable of delicate, crisp whispers which in the time of a lightning strike became an ordeal of punchy, almost brutal screams.

Sarah was able to speak many languages at the same time, with various voices interweaving themselves, as it was a being possessed by multiple demons, and all the voices were separated in space and timbre, projected with utmost clarity.

Valkyria was unsettled by Sarah’s nature, so different from her bold, straightforward, barbaric stentorian language. Her own deep voice, echoed by resonant overtones as those heard in a cathedral contrasted with the hyper-articulated, almost dance-like replies from Sarah.

The two left with little understanding of each other, puzzled by how differently the almighty mother-nature can operate.

Valkyria was still thinking about the strong impression SR1a (was it Sarah?) made to her, when an even stranger creature captured her attention.

It was something in between a turtle and a stone, with a greyish smooth yet angular, faceted shape, where the same honeycomb-like windowed surface – apparently a characteristic of RAALites - was imprinted.

Similarly to Sarah, also the turtle-stone – who lately presented herself al CA-1a (Karla?) – was able to speak energized by an umbelical connection to a magnificent industrial machinery, distantly recalling a volcanic structure with its basalt-black base and red luminescent streaks. This machine – whose epithet in RAAL language was VM-1a – was vital to both Sarah and Karla, so much so that they should be considered like parts of the same organism.

Valkyria immediately felt more affinity with Karla. Her body language and voicing was more reassuringly similar to Valkyria’s, still definitely swifter – which seems a characteristic of RAALites – yet calmer, more ponderous, less indomitable than Sarah’s.

Karla was able to produce pleasingly incarnated sounds, extending to comforting bass notes, even deeper than the throaty voice of the Valkyria, while keeping most of the airy clarity of Sarah. The language was still very different, and many words remained incomprehensible, but Valkyria felt she was able to understand and communicate with Karla at a fundamental level. Karla was able of fascinating tales of wildly different genres, adapting her expressive attitude like a chameleon, whereas the sturdy, grounded nature of the Valkyria was less compliant, yet immensely persuasive when she was in her element.

Valkyria was able to get to the core of things through an emotional, holistic, direct approach – she was able to recognize true Virtue (it was her job after all) and felt at ease with things of nature, both still (mountains, lakes, trees) and alive, especially human, to which she connected effortlessly.

Sarah appeared loftier, seemingly interested in form more than substance, investigation rather than compassion, while Karla was more material, concrete, comforting, while still more on the phylosophical contemplative side compared to Valkyria.

The time came for Valkyria to go back to Wingolf. Valkyria and Karla respectfully – even warmheartedly – saluted each other, promising to meet again and perhaps spend more time together in the future, universal father Odin allowing.

1000014697-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #7,238 of 7,885
A Valkyria in RAALand

Valkyria first duty, as a servant of Odin, is to shepherd battle-fallen worthy heroes to Valhalla.

In carrying out this task, the Valkyria often travels remote lands, sometimes populated by strange fascinating creatures.

One day our heroine entered the mysterious RAALand, a territory where cybernetic things, made of raw metals, rocky shells, exotic composite materials and reddish glowing glass vessels are told – according to the Legends – to dominate the landscape.

Her first encounter took the V. by surprise. It was a lithe winged animal - half butterfly, half dragon - who introduced herself as SR1a (Sarah?). Sarah had open ribbed wings, with a mysterious tessellated surface remembering the structure of a honeycomb. She was ethereal and menacing at the same time. Her voice was light, pure, apparently coming out of nowhere like a far cry. She was capable of delicate, crisp whispers which in the time of a lightning strike became an ordeal of punchy, almost brutal screams.

Sarah was able to speak many languages at the same time, with various voices interweaving themselves, as it was a being inhabited by multiple demons, and all the voices were separated in space and timbre, projected with utmost clarity.

Valkyria was unsettled by Sarah’s nature, so different from her bold, straightforward, barbaric stentorian language. Her own deep voice, echoed by resonant overtones as those heard in a cathedral contrasted with the hyper-articulated, almost dance-like replies from Sarah.

The two left with little understanding of each other, puzzled by how differently the almighty mother-nature can operate.

Valkyria was still thinking about the strong impression SR1a (was it Sarah?) made to her, when an even stranger creature captured her attention.

It was something in between a turtle and a stone, with a greyish smooth yet angular, faceted shape, where the same honeycomb-like windowed surface – apparently a characteristic of RAALites - was imprinted.

In common with Sarah, also the turtle-stone – who lately presented herself al CA-1a (Karla?) – was able to speak energized by an umbelical connection to a magnificent industrial machinery, distantly recalling a volcanic structure with its basalt-black base and red luminescent streaks. This machine – whose epithet in RAAL language was VM-1a – was vital to both Sarah and Karla, so much so that they should be considered like parts of the same organism.

Valkyria immediately felt more affinity with Karla. Her body language and voicing was more reassuringly similar to Valkyria’s, still definitely swifter – which seems a characteristic of RAALites – yet calmer, more ponderous, less indomitable than Sarah’s.

Karla was able to produce pleasingly incarnated sounds, extending to comforting bass notes, even deeper than the throaty voice of the Valkyria, while keeping most of the airy clarity of Sarah. The language was still very different, and many words remained incomprehensible, but Valkyria felt she was able to understand and communicate with Karla at a fundamental level. Karla was able of fascinating tales of wildly different genres, adapting her expressive attitude like a chameleon, whereas the sturdy, grounded nature of the Valkyria was less compliant, yet immensely persuasive when she was in her element.

Valkyria was able to get to the core of things through an emotional, holistic, direct approach – she was able to recognize true Virtue (it was her job after all) and felt at ease with things of nature, both still (mountains, lakes, trees) and alive, especially human, to which she connected effortlessly.

Sarah appeared loftier, seemingly interested in form more than substance, investigation rather than compassion, while Karla was more material, concrete, comforting, while still more on the phylosophical contemplative side compared to Valkyria.

The time came for Valkyria to go back Wingolf. Valkyria and Karla respectfully – even warmheartedly – saluted themselves, promising to meet again and perhaps spend more time together in the future, universal father Odin allowing.

1000014697-01.jpeg
What a tale!
I've enjoyed this story very, very much! Thank you!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Dec 23, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #7,239 of 7,885
A Valkyria in RAALand

In carrying out this task, the Valkyria often travels remote lands, sometimes populated by strange fascinating creatures.

Sarah was able to speak many languages at the same time, with various voices interweaving themselves, as it was a being inhabited by multiple demons, and all the voices were separated in space and timbre, projected with utmost clarity.

Similarly to Sarah, also the turtle-stone – who lately presented herself al CA-1a (Karla?) – was able to speak energized by an umbelical connection to a magnificent industrial machinery, distantly recalling a volcanic structure with its basalt-black base and red luminescent streaks. This machine – whose epithet in RAAL language was VM-1a – was vital to both Sarah and Karla, so much so that they should be considered like parts of the same organism.

The time came for Valkyria to go back Wingolf. Valkyria and Karla respectfully – even warmheartedly – saluted themselves, promising to meet again and perhaps spend more time together in the future, universal father Odin allowing.

1000014697-01.jpeg
what's in the head of a headphone lover is boundless!
It was a pleasure to have you listen to the wm1a system with ca1a, I was sure you would appreciate it!

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #7,240 of 7,885
It’s here!
IMG_6264.jpeg
First impressions:
It does sound very different from any other headphone that I've owned.
The sound just floats in the air around your head.
I think the two most important factors that I've noticed:
1) Even though it's an odd fit, it does not bother me and feels very comfortable
2) I find myself listening for hours without any fatigue

I have purchased the Mitch filters set a couple of days ago, and I'm still trying to decide which configuration I like best (open-baffle compensation adapters or convolution filters).

The sound is very coherent and natural, nothing is emphasized, it is "brighter" or may I say more "raw" than the Valkyria or the Caldera, but they sound a bit veiled when directly compared (color?). Which color do I like best? I'm not sure that I have or want to choose (atm).
It is also very dynamic and manages to shift from whispers to extremely loud.
Some compare its stage to the 1266 TC, my experience is that the TC is nowhere near as coherent or balanced as the Raal. To my ears the TC has major issue with balance and sounds very unnatural.

More to come as I'm still learning it.
Any tips/recommendation will be most welcome.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #7,241 of 7,885
First impressions:
It does sound very different from any other headphone that I've owned.
The sound just floats in the air around your head.
I think the two most important factors that I've noticed:
1) Even though it's an odd fit, it does not bother me and feels very comfortable
2) I find myself listening for hours without any fatigue

I have purchased the Mitch filters set a couple of days ago, and I'm still trying to decide which configuration I like best (open-baffle compensation adapters or convolution filters).

The sound is very coherent and natural, nothing is emphasized, it is "brighter" or may I say more "raw" than the Valkyria or the Caldera, but they sound a bit veiled when directly compared (color?). Which color do I like best? I'm not sure that I have or want to choose (atm).
It is also very dynamic and manages to shift from whispers to extremely loud.
Some compare its stage to the 1266 TC, my experience is that the TC is nowhere near as coherent or balanced as the Raal. To my ears the TC has major issue with balance and sounds very unnatural.

More to come as I'm still learning it.
Any tips/recommendation will be most welcome.
Fun to read. Am curious after a bit of switching back and forth if you'll eventually have a preference to using either the adapters or filters.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #7,242 of 7,885
I tried using a Roon parametric filters using the settings Alexander prescribed for open baffle compensation and thought it improved the sound. Then I bought the Mitch filters that were of two types: ones that didn't contain OB compensation, requiring the concomitant use of the Roon parametric filters, and ones that did contain OB compensation (so I switched off the Roon filter). Of all these, I preferred the Mitch filters containing OB compensation and a slight boost of low bass frequencies.

It will be interesting to hear your preferences.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #7,243 of 7,885
I finally got my VM-1a with tubes. I’ll listen tomorrow. I’m excited!

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #7,244 of 7,885
you should be, great amp with the CA and SR

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #7,245 of 7,885
I recently acquired the SR1B with the TI-1B interface. It is definitely the best recorded audio I've ever heard.

Most of the time I have the TI-1B connected to the speaker taps of my power amp. But I was curious to see if the balanced headphone outputs of my RME ADI-2 Pro would provide enough power directly to the TI-1B, with no additional amp. So I cobbled together a cable (XLR-4 male to two TRS plugs; the RME is a bit unusual in having separate L and R jacks for balanced headphone output), entered the EQ settings for open baffle compensation, and put it to the test. It sounds fantastic! Plenty of power, as far as I'm concerned. I find it sounds best with the 16-ohm input.

I'll still mainly use it with the power amp, because a majority of my listening is vinyl. But having the option to use the RME is really nice, because I can use it with my computer when I'm not sitting by my stereo.

One thing to note (on the off chance anyone else wants to try this): the cable requires TRS plugs, not TS, even though there's only two conductors for each plug. This is because the conductors are wired to the tip and the ring, not the sleeve. The RME manual has the wiring info. (Also note that all this applies only to the Pro version of the ADI-2, not the DAC version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back