Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #5,941 of 7,883
@SageM or @Aleksandar R. would it be possible to talk more about your upcoming power base HPB-1a?

Does it have a similar footprint to your amps?

Is there a switch to go between 115V and 230V?

Is it only intended to support one amplifier or upstream gear like a DAC and streamer too?
Thanks for asking about the Headphone Power Base (HPB-1a). I should mention, we really have our hands full with current products, so it's going to be awhile before we can bring the HPB-1a to market. Alex built a large scale version (full 2-channel system) of this technology several years ago and has been enjoying and refining it, all this time. I happen to have a small scale headphone version, which I am also enjoying.

For now, there isn't a lot that I can confirm, only because the scaled down headphone version is still under development, which will inevitably mean unforeseen tweaks to size and layout.

In general, it will be roughly the size of our VM-1a and weigh a little less. It is suitable for all voltages, 115V, 230V, 100V (Japan) and anything reasonable you throw at it. Power input is via IEC so you can use a proper, locally sourced, power cable with IEC at one end. Because the system is 1:1, output voltage is same as input (source) voltage. There is no need to select a voltage, it's whatever you happen to have coming out of the wall. It does not step up or down. Power output jacks (3 or 4) are multi-national type, which will cover North America and most international plugs.

The first model will be scaled to cover the current demands of most headphone systems (audio player, DAC and headphone amp, etc...). A second model will follow for the slightly higher current needs of bigger amps, like our VM-1a or equivalent.

It will have a voltage, current and hertz meter which indicates you are drawing current, to the degree in which it allows the permeability of the core to perform as intended. This is why a slightly larger model is required for higher current applications. In other words, there is a sweet spot or range that is most effective for various loads.

Alex has a large batch of meters (50+) that have been under test for about a year, now. So far, no failures and all continue to read correctly.

The HPB-1a is a headphone product we expect to be well received.

Thanks again for asking! Danny McKinney

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #5,942 of 7,883
Thanks for asking about the Headphone Power Base (HPB-1a). I should mention, we really have our hands full with current products, so it's going to be awhile before we can bring the HPB-1a to market. Alex built a large scale version (full 2-channel system) of this technology several years ago and has been enjoying and refining it, all this time. I happen to have a small scale headphone version, which I am also enjoying.

For now, there isn't a lot that I can confirm, only because the scaled down headphone version is still under development, which will inevitably mean unforeseen tweaks to size and layout.

In general, it will be roughly the size of our VM-1a and weigh a little less. It is suitable for all voltages, 115V, 230V, 100V (Japan) and anything reasonable you throw at it. Power input is via IEC so you can use a proper, locally sourced, power cable with IEC at one end. Because the system is 1:1, output voltage is same as input (source) voltage. There is no need to select a voltage, it's whatever you happen to have coming out of the wall. It does not step up or down. Power output jacks (3 or 4) are multi-national type, which will cover North America and most international plugs.

The first model will be scaled to cover the current demands of most headphone systems (audio player, DAC and headphone amp, etc...). A second model will follow for the slightly higher current needs of bigger amps, like our VM-1a or equivalent.

It will have a voltage, current and hertz meter which indicates you are drawing current, to the degree in which it allows the permeability of the core to perform as intended. This is why a slightly larger model is required for higher current applications. In other words, there is a sweet spot or range that is most effective for various loads.

Alex has a large batch of meters (50+) that have been under test for about a year, now. So far, no failures and all continue to read correctly.

The HPB-1a is a headphone product we expect to be well received.

Thanks again for asking! Danny McKinney
I have something similar in my system, a Trafomatic Classic 1000. It has a 1.2kW toroid and thus it can be used for the whole system. At the end I found the VM1a benefitted the most from it, increasing it's soundtage even wider and granting this elusive more flesh on the bone feeling. I think of it as a part of my Raal System. As I understand it does the same 1:1 conversion to +-115V (in case of 230V) with DC filtering. (And it is completly silent both mechanically and electrially despite it's enermous toroid).

I think a lot of people trying out balanced power delivery will be very pleased, a matching Raal set would make it aestetically perfect :)

On a side note I tried a lot of power conditioning equipment and this was by far the best. However...I will be home demoing next week a Stromtank S1000.

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #5,943 of 7,883
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #5,945 of 7,883
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #5,946 of 7,883
Hi, I am using the Raal SR1a with a Kinki EX M7. As source I use a Melco N100 feeding Chord's M-Scaler Hugo TT2 combo. Now, I realize MinimServer 2 has an option to apply EQ. I wonder whether anyone has done it and could offer advice how to do it and whether anyone has done and could offer a protocil or direct to a commercial solution how to implement it? Is it possible at all?

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #5,947 of 7,883
....Now, I realize MinimServer 2 has an option to apply EQ. I wonder whether anyone has done it and could offer advice how to do it and ... Is it possible at all?
Seems yes.
Maybe post your question in the MinimServer forum:
https://forum.minimserver.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2

An entry in stream.options seems to define EQ settings.
Here‘s some basic info:
https://forum.minimserver.com/archive/index.php?thread-2421-2.html
3D36F7A5-7287-4DD0-8A66-652194D9386A.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #5,948 of 7,883
Hi, could anyone verify the 4pin xlr pin for me..?
My technician is helping me to change the 4pin xlr and measured the star8
1 R+
2 R-
3 L-
4 L+
This is what is got.

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #5,949 of 7,883
Hi, could anyone verify the 4pin xlr pin for me..?
My technician is helping me to change the 4pin xlr and measured the star8
1 R+
2 R-
3 L-
4 L+
This is what is got.
Confirmed.
Checked with both an original fully working cable and the Ri1 interface

Raal SR1a XLR Connector / 3.5 mm TRRS Pinout:
In the 3.5 mm TRRS adjacent contacts are interconnected to improve the contacting.

XLR Pin 1 (R+) =Tip + Ring 1
XLR Pin 2 (R-) = Ring 2 + Sleeve
XLR Pin 3 (L-) = Ring 2 + Sleeve
XLR Pin 4 (L+) = Tip + Ring 1

@ Aleksandar R.
Although it’s not easy to built an adequate cable for the ribbon ˋphones, the pinout could well be useful if mentioned in the manual.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #5,950 of 7,883
Confirmed.
Checked with both an original fully working cable and the Ri1 interface

Raal SR1a XLR Connector / 3.5 mm TRRS Pinout:
In the 3.5 mm TRRS adjacent contacts are interconnected to improve the contacting.

XLR Pin 1 (R+) =Tip + Ring 1
XLR Pin 2 (R-) = Ring 2 + Sleeve
XLR Pin 3 (L-) = Ring 2 + Sleeve
XLR Pin 4 (L+) = Tip + Ring 1

@ Aleksandar R.
Although it’s not easy to built an adequate cable for the ribbon ˋphones, the pinout could well be useful if mentioned in the manual.
Thanks a lot for helping!!

Oct 6, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #5,951 of 7,883
I have something similar in my system, a Trafomatic Classic 1000. It has a 1.2kW toroid and thus it can be used for the whole system. At the end I found the VM1a benefitted the most from it, increasing it's soundtage even wider and granting this elusive more flesh on the bone feeling. I think of it as a part of my Raal System. As I understand it does the same 1:1 conversion to +-115V (in case of 230V) with DC filtering. (And it is completly silent both mechanically and electrially despite it's enermous toroid).

I think a lot of people trying out balanced power delivery will be very pleased, a matching Raal set would make it aestetically perfect :)

On a side note I tried a lot of power conditioning equipment and this was by far the best. However...I will be home demoing next week a Stromtank S1000.

That Stromtank is a beautiful unit, no doubt!

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #5,952 of 7,883
That Stromtank is a beautiful unit, no doubt!
Yes. And it is huge!!! Here it is during the the test, next to the VM1a

3037D826-80FC-46ED-B76D-061F6612FC43.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back