Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 31, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #5,176 of 7,882
Maybe we should build another headphone in Austria that looks like more the K1000...with little pull cords 🤣

NOMAX

Ps.Michael takes not more as 60 days for that 🤣...and why?its easy in 2022 😉
Effort is justified in the High Price segment 👍 Simplicity not 👎
And with many of the constructs that I see in the High Price Segment,no one or just a few has given any thought or effort
(glued ear pads with double-sided tape etc etc)
Right, but high priced segment is justified only when you also live of a low price segment, it can't exist on it's own.
Tiffany & Co. will happily sell you $50 trinkets, they never pulled them off their shelves just because they have expensive stuff in the shop window.

For us, with only the 2nd core product just about to be released, it is not possible to go high price right now, as we wouldn't have a "hit" that would support the cost of running the company.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 31, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #5,177 of 7,882
@Aleksandar R.

Luxurious isn't that's what I'm getting at....and Complexity has nothing to do with bling bling 😉

NOMAX

Ps.i am sure you will find the right direction with your headphones 👍

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #5,180 of 7,882
yes, some of the recommendations being made seem designed to ruin a great company...I love the sr1a and will own the new one so please dont try to push raal to do loony things

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #5,181 of 7,882
I think some misunderstood me 😉

NOMAX

Ps.I'm looking forward to the new finished product so that I can listen to it again 👍

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,183 of 7,882

NOMAX

PS.but the other Model behind the closed doors sounds much more balanced and more complete in his performance and also airy 👍

the whole story is that NOMAX was talking about never releasing the SR1 the way they look, but fancy-up things and sell for 5k in more quantity than we sell now.
Similarly, he felt a tiny bit better about the looks of CA's but he would still massively bling them up and sell more for higher, similar, price.

However, I find that hard to believe and let's not forget that all those companies that carry 5k models, do have far cheaper headphones on offer, as well, so I'm pretty sure that Meze and Focal do not base their existence on 5k models, but in their $300-600 models and can afford low quantity sales in high priced segment.
Pretty much, they don't really care how high they go, it's for the "flagship" effect, not for making the company more profitable in direct sales of expensive stuff, but more desirable, while selling cheaper stuff.
Excuse "Controversial Christer" for butting in here again,but if YOU really care about SQ first and foremost.Please please DO NOT get caught up in the stupid "EYE CANDY "Design and looks over SQ lunacy suggested .
Please keep doing things with ONE IMPORTANT thing in mind ie to deliver the best possible ,most transparent ,lowest distortion SQ at a reasonable cost. And also comfort.

The closest recent similar tech based headphone I had on home loan for a month, the German AMT Heddphone was the heaviest and most uncomfortabel headphone I have ever used .
It was not bad SQ-wise considering the price asked around 1500USD .
But not as good as I had expected either. I hope your new semi-closed model will not suffer the same drawbacks as that one.
And I also hope it will have both lower distortion than that one and also retain most of the openness of the orginal RAAL

Expensive EYE CANDY audio products are in my strong opinion for fools and the type of misguided or ignorant, audiophiles that Rob Watts recently described in terms like this " Audiophiles who do not recognise accurate SQ even if they are hit over the head with it!".

I have auditioned the original RAAL,and it was indeed one of the most open sounding headphones I have EVER heard other than my old Jecklin Float electrostatic "helmets". and the old AKG 1000 and more recently the Myspheres.
EARSPEAKERS are maybe a better term for both the old Jecklins and RAAL SRHA1
But using the original RAAL in such a TERRIBLY noisy environment as "Nomax" is doing in that recent Munich Audio Show video is misleading !!! imho.!

There is little chance to really hear its potential under such circumstances !!!

Hopefully the new model will work better in noisier enviroments like Audio Shows than the orginal that DEFINITELY needs a dead quiet environment to shine. And obviously also an amp up to the job of driving it.
Since this is mainlly a US based site, excuse my asking you directly, but are there any dealers in Europe, and in particular Sweden? where this more modestly priced version could be auditioned once relased?
I heard the original in Singapore with some NON compressed LARGE SCALE classical hi res masterfiles from recording sessions I had been present at . And I suspect the amplifcation used throttled its true potential.
But with less demanding material it sounded VERY open and transparent indeed.
Finally apart from these prototype teasers ,could you please indicate any European market estimated release time? And if there is a dealer in Sweden at all?
Cheers CC

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #5,184 of 7,882
Somehow I have a feeling that many here confuse build quality and comfort in Form of swiveling earcups and adjustable headbands with bling bling and eye candy.

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,185 of 7,882
I don’t mean to be presumptuous. I know next to nothing about design, even less about engineering (which is to say nothing), and I have no experience in running a company.

My limited understanding, from talking to people and doing lots of reading, is that Raal Requisite has established for itself a stellar reputation for making exceptionally strong, high-quality products even as it has also brought to market one of the most revolutionary headphones of the past few years (and perhaps even in the last generation or two), thanks to the innovation of combining ribbon drivers with the SR1a’s open-baffle earspeakers.

The SR1a is a relatively expensive item, to be sure. But it seems to warrant its price not only in terms of build quality but also in terms of sound quality. It’s also worth noting that many of the replacement parts are affordable (like the ribbons themselves) and apparently easy to install (unlike, say, the headband or drivers for the Focal headphones, for instance). One also assumes the price of the earspeakers reflects a considerable investment in research and development, especially for a company that may not have quite the resources of Sennheiser, much less of Sony. And it’s worth noting that with further, ongoing innovation we now have more affordable devices with which to drive the SR1a (and the new circum-aural headphones).

I’d love to see new iterations of Raal Requisite’s technology - and the company’s approach to music reproduction - being brought to a wider audience. The $2.5K USD price point does this. It also has the opportunity to be disruptive to the market, which, alas, has in recent years seemed to follow a trend of rising prices in line with what the market will bear. (It’s preposterous that we now have IEMs, for instance, that cost not just $3K but also beyond even $6K).

I understand the argument that the cost of headphones can be dictated by the market, or that it’s fine for people with the means to buy extraordinarily expensive items. Sure. I myself spent the extra to buy a pair of the limited edition African Blackwood ZMF Vérité because they’re gorgeous, I adore the sound of those headphones, and they’ll last me a lifetime. But there are two dimensions to the luxury market that is high-end audio: the image over substance segment, encapsulated potentially by these headphones (I've not heard them), certainly these ones, or even these (lol), and the segment that provides truly valuable products (and I mean valuable in both senses of the word - as “worth a great deal of money” and also as “extremely important”). Raal Requisite already has a solid reputation for making truly valuable products, and I look forward to auditioning the new circum-aural headphone and being able to afford it.

Jun 1, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #5,186 of 7,882
1654089894798.png

Price aside, I thought these looked cheese-y not class-y. And I owned the original "cheap" version at one point. (Replaced with SR-1a and Susvara).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #5,187 of 7,882
I have to say, NOMAX really had his hart in the right place when he suggested the different course for placing RAAL-requisite products on the market.
What he's saying is a proven way to establish a significant presence on the market for high-end audio company of any "denomination".
So, his advice was friendly and genuinely comes from good wishes for our success.

It is a totally different matter if we are fit for that way of doing business or do we want to play that game at all.

I'm not against it, because we can definitely preserve the good SQ even if we would be making an "eye candy" for the people that are willing to pay double for it (The estimated cost increase for the fancy parts is about double to what we pay now, not including the designer's fee and tooling investment, so fancy headphones would cost double).

The biggest problem with all that is that I think that the new CA 's are looking fabulous with their purist, sculptural design and finish, married to elegant engineering solutions.
They are not usual, they do not follow the norm, but communicate with the beholder in a different way, and I'm not sure if we should change that.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #5,188 of 7,882
I don’t mean to be presumptuous. I know next to nothing about design, even less about engineering (which is to say nothing), and I have no experience in running a company.

My limited understanding, from talking to people and doing lots of reading, is that Raal Requisite has established for itself a stellar reputation for making exceptionally strong, high-quality products even as it has also brought to market one of the most revolutionary headphones of the past few years (and perhaps even in the last generation or two), thanks to the innovation of combining ribbon drivers with the SR1a’s open-baffle earspeakers.

The SR1a is a relatively expensive item, to be sure. But it seems to warrant its price not only in terms of build quality but also in terms of sound quality. It’s also worth noting that many of the replacement parts are affordable (like the ribbons themselves) and apparently easy to install (unlike, say, the headband or drivers for the Focal headphones, for instance). One also assumes the price of the earspeakers reflects a considerable investment in research and development, especially for a company that may not have quite the resources of Sennheiser, much less of Sony. And it’s worth noting that with further, ongoing innovation we now have more affordable devices with which to drive the SR1a (and the new circum-aural headphones).

I’d love to see new iterations of Raal Requisite’s technology - and the company’s approach to music reproduction - being brought to a wider audience. The $2.5K USD price point does this. It also has the opportunity to be disruptive to the market, which, alas, has in recent years seemed to follow a trend of rising prices in line with what the market will bear. (It’s preposterous that we now have IEMs, for instance, that cost not just $3K but also beyond even $6K).

I understand the argument that the cost of headphones can be dictated by the market, or that it’s fine for people with the means to buy extraordinarily expensive items. Sure. I myself spent the extra to buy a pair of the limited edition African Blackwood ZMF Vérité because they’re gorgeous, I adore the sound of those headphones, and they’ll last me a lifetime. But there are two dimensions to the luxury market that is high-end audio: the image over substance segment, encapsulated potentially by these headphones (I've not heard them), certainly these ones, or even these (lol), and the segment that provides truly valuable products (and I mean valuable in both senses of the word - as “worth a great deal of money” and also as “extremely important”). Raal Requisite already has a solid reputation for making truly valuable products, and I look forward to auditioning the new circum-aural headphone and being able to afford it.
You raise some good points regarding RAALs. And those I certainly agree with.
But regarding those ZMF headphones personally I have to object strongly,

I would MUCH rather see that African Blackwood on a big strong tree in an African forest than on ANY headphone EVER !

Irrespective of how they sound, in today´s World there is imo simply NO valid excuse for marketing headphones made from endangered hardwoods .

There are also much better materials one can use for dampening purposes and such imo.

Besides some other big and bulky woody ZMF´s which I have auditioned with less endangered wood types used, have all been clearly audibly colored by the wood used .
A few minutes were enough to hear how wood-colored they sounded."No need to hit me over the head with ZMF´s" . Their coloration was very obvious to me with my reference material.
Good aged Wood is definitely needed for making an excellent sounding Violin or Cello or Woodwind instrument, but best avoided in a headphone.
Unless of course one actually wants wood coloration to the sound? I personally certainly do NOT want that.

I have to admit that for a short period I owned a pair of Grados, but even with those I found the wood used adding unwanted coloration to their sound. I sold my then top grade Grados right after getting my Sennheiser HD 800 and after having compared both directly at some Classical Music recording sessions against both live the sound and master file playback. I had brought my Grados to the sessions and Morten Lindberg of 2L, his new Sennheiser HD 800.
The other two ugly "monsters" you link to are good examples of typical EYE CANDY, GLARING design choices there to appeal to the "Eye of the Beholder" "The shinier the better" crowd and most likely having nothing whatsoever to add in real terms of accurate distortion free and transparent SQ. Sorry to be a bit blunt ,but anyway
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,189 of 7,882
@ Aleksandar R.

What is the exact difference between the SR1a and SR1b?
The SR1b is already available for purchase?

Thank`s!
SR-1b is a mildly re-styled version of SR-1a We have changed the grilles, so the inner grilles are now electropolished and have holes small enough that ear-piercing won't get latched into the grille.
The wire from the connector to the ribbon contact pins is now Silver solid core instead of Copper solid core.

yes, they are in stock and ready to purchase, with or without TI-1a Set.

Jun 1, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,190 of 7,882
@Christer

I've been doing this for over 20 years now

Don't worry about how loud it is...if you know what to look for in the tonal performance and this is very good on the SR1A with the amp 👍
But a lot better with their newer model👍👍👍

NOMAX

Ps.And I still manage to determine with my ears how loud someone is listening to their music with his own headphones (+/- 3 db) 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back