Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 30, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #2,446 of 7,883
Danny from Requisite has said earlier in this thread that the aluminum piece is meant to be bent. It won't break.

My experience also, it looks thin and possibly fragile but I've bent mine hard with no issues.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #2,447 of 7,883
for those with vinyl rigs try the RAAL with it, I had just about forgotten about vinyl and was in the process of downsizing when I made the error of spinning a few with the SR1a. Holy F-balls went from sounding very good with my Lumin T2 to What just happened... very natural sounding some of that hardness in the upper mids is ow gone.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #2,448 of 7,883
Doing some research now, but it seems like some are using speaker amps? I know my amp (wa33) is efficient enough to power small/efficient speakers.. could I potentially use them with it? Please forgive my ignorance lol, I will do research now and have combed the thread a bit.

Quite intrigued by impressions I've seen, just didn't want to have to add another amp if I don't have to.

Edit: nvm.. think I just realized that I can with the interface box and the right cables. May consider that.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,449 of 7,883
The interface box recommends at least 100 watts per channel. I haven't tried the box yet, but the Jotunheim R sounds really good. You can get that combo direct from Raal.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,450 of 7,883
What position have those that have the SR1A found they like the best? I feel like if I go to far out I lose all the impact. Just curious, I know everything is subjective.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,451 of 7,883
The interface box recommends at least 100 watts per channel. I haven't tried the box yet, but the Jotunheim R sounds really good. You can get that combo direct from Raal.

Ahhh gotcha. I do have a 150w per channel marantz power amp, could just use the wa33 potentially as a pre. May try that before adding another amp. Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #2,452 of 7,883
Doing some research now, but it seems like some are using speaker amps? I know my amp (wa33) is efficient enough to power small/efficient speakers.. could I potentially use them with it? Please forgive my ignorance lol, I will do research now and have combed the thread a bit.

Quite intrigued by impressions I've seen, just didn't want to have to add another amp if I don't have to.

Edit: nvm.. think I just realized that I can with the interface box and the right cables. May consider that.

You either need the Jot R, the HS1-a, or a 100W speaker amp with the interface box.

It's really inefficient with the interface box because most of the power is dumped into a bunch of resistors, in order to present a high enough impedance to the amp. The dedicated ribbon amps are more efficient.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2,453 of 7,883
You either need the Jot R, the HS1-a, or a 100W speaker amp with the interface box.

It's really inefficient with the interface box because most of the power is dumped into a bunch of resistors, in order to present a high enough impedance to the amp. The dedicated ribbon amps are more efficient.

Thank you! But despite that inefficiency in comparison, with a solid pre/power amp combo can the Sr1a reach close to full potential? Seems like the HS1a is more ideal but again would prefer to use what I have on hand.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #2,454 of 7,883

If you don't wan't to spend 30K, seriously look at the uberamp. Otherwise go for the HSA-1b.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #2,455 of 7,883
If you don't wan't to spend 30K, seriously look at the uberamp. Otherwise go for the HSA-1b.

Yea I think I'd like to hold off until I see how I like the cans first. But the HSA looks pretty interesting.. I was reading the thread and noticed the b. So the will be temporarily unavailable until the b releases later in august? Is that right?

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #2,456 of 7,883
Yea I think I'd like to hold off until I see how I like the cans first. But the HSA looks pretty interesting.. I was reading the thread and noticed the b. So the will be temporarily unavailable until the b releases later in august? Is that right?
The cans first? I had thought you had them. Sigh. They are the inverse of the TC.
Nevertheless look at your alternatives. Sigh. If you want a pretty-great easy-solution, there is the compromised Jot R. IF you desire to ditch the compromised box,
look at your direct-drive alternatives.

Aside: looking in the alternative, chasing THE ultimate; from my experience, a Pass Labs Xs 300 leaves me wanting -- from a reference of 009+T2 (in context of speed and resolution,) ( the bass presence and, eh, image solidity, or, er, over-all sound presence (dynanicism) goes to the TC. DUH!!!!

However, if you are desiring to bottleneck the SR1a, you are easily looking at $30k. Sigh. But look at the HSA-1b -- from what you can gleam, and understand electronics (hint: the heat-sinks,) ALL available alternatives, (whatever your BS bias including mine,) directly bottleneck the amplifier. In every carnation including the upcoming tube HSA compliment.

Yes, I come from the Cult of Gilmore (with good reason.) Simply look at his direct-drive alternative designs to, well, the relative state of STAX.

Aside: without controversy or drama of blas-criticism, look at the response of EC Elektra ( DOG schiit,) ( which I bought,) ( CA LL, and study its incarnations.)
Aside: Yes, relevant BHSE hasn't received as lauded legacy, (however it is separate from KG "lineage".) Do remark KG "lineage."

Understand your direct-drive alternatives will not be of lore.

You will have to adapt an interface or an alternative "Cult DD."

Let's actually see (aside from the compromised Jot R,) the internals of the HSA-whatever -- and draw...bridges. This isn't an entirely new idea -- far from it. So you know.

And yes, I get most consumers won't get it ( especially the full-lineage,) however, it is a fact of '"truth."

Also, yes, feel free to PM me to discuss things further (and to keep the sheep bleating.) :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #2,457 of 7,883
I'd grab the SR1a/JotR combo as a placeholder for the upcoming HSA revision or planned RAAL tube amp. I'd also be not surprised if a few boutique headphone amp builders designed a headphone power amp for these.I'd love something I could directly mate with the GSX mini I already own or in your case the Woo and use these are a pre.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #2,458 of 7,883
The cans first? I had thought you had them. Sigh. They are the inverse of the TC.
Nevertheless look at your alternatives. Sigh. If you want a pretty-great easy-solution, there is the compromised Jot R. IF you desire to ditch the compromised box,
look at your direct-drive alternatives.

Aside: looking in the alternative, chasing THE ultimate; from my experience, a Pass Labs Xs 300 leaves me wanting -- from a reference of 009+T2 (in context of speed and resolution,) ( the bass presence and, eh, image solidity, or, er, over-all sound presence (dynanicism) goes to the TC. DUH!!!!

However, if you are desiring to bottleneck the SR1a, you are easily looking at $30k. Sigh. But look at the HSA-1b -- from what you can gleam, and understand electronics (hint: the heat-sinks,) ALL available alternatives, (whatever your BS bias including mine,) directly bottleneck the amplifier. In every carnation including the upcoming tube HSA compliment.

Yes, I come from the Cult of Gilmore (with good reason.) Simply look at his direct-drive alternative designs to, well, the relative state of STAX.

Aside: without controversy or drama of blas-criticism, look at the response of EC Elektra ( DOG schiit,) ( which I bought,) ( CA LL, and study its incarnations.)
Aside: Yes, relevant BHSE hasn't received as lauded legacy, (however it is separate from KG "lineage".) Do remark KG "lineage."

Understand your direct-drive alternatives will not be of lore.

You will have to adapt an interface or an alternative "Cult DD."

Let's actually see (aside from the compromised Jot R,) the internals of the HSA-whatever -- and draw...bridges. This isn't an entirely new idea -- far from it. So you know.

And yes, I get most consumers won't get it ( especially the full-lineage,) however, it is a fact of '"truth."

Also, yes, feel free to PM me to discuss things further (and to keep the sheep bleating.) :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s your point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back