Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #2,296 of 7,847
@Pale Rider, thanks very much for your terrific review of the Primavera amplifier. I was going to post these questions/comments with that review, but then realized it is 99% a Raal headphones post/question so I moved it here...

Background info below, but I think I have two questions:
1) How much better are the Raal headphones with the Raal HSA-1a amplifier, compared to the SR-1as with the Jot-R (the Jot-R being 1/4 the price of the HSA-1a)? I guess a follow up, does the SR-1a paired with the HSA-1a amplifier pretty much sound better than when paired with most any high-powered (and high quality) regular pre-amp/amplifier combo + interface box, regardless of price? Or, at least any amp/preamp combo under $10K?
2) Paired with the MicroZotl MZ3 amplifier, or some other boutique amp like the ecp DSHA-4 or ecp L-3, or Apex Teton, what do you think about the MySphere 3.2s compared to the Raal headphones paired with the Raal amplifier? Or does it come down to this: As long as one eliminates the Raals from consideration, then the "no-brainer" is the MySpheres with a really good amplifier, if one can afford it?
3) I lied about there being only two questions. Are there upgrades people have found that "help" the HSA-1a? Or, is the only "upgrade" replacing one headphone output for the SR-1as with a "normal" female four-pin balanced output so the HSA-1a will work with regular headphones.
4) So, I'm thinking now is the time to pull the trigger on the Raal combo and I go to their web-site and look at photos of the HSA-1a. What the heck?!!! The RCA inputs are right next to the IEC power input, pretty much as close as they could possibly be without touching! For many of us these are the only two connections on the back that will be used, and they are way too close to each other for comfort.
5) Maybe this is why I haven't bought anything yet; I cannot be pleased...

Background, if it matters:
I have been working on an "end game" headphone setup for a couple of years now; I have most everything in place except headphones and amplifier. Sounds backwards, but there have been a lot of headphone developments in the last few years!!! For the better. Currently I am listening to two components I picked up as near-new, as a "stop-gap" measure: Ether2 headphones driven by Pass Labs' HPA-1 headphone amplifier. The result is pleasing, but (for more $$) there is better to be had. The problem is, the landscape keeps changing!

I'm finally getting anxious though, and wish to soon sell my current amplifier and headphones and "graduate" to something better. But, two pieces of something better need to cost less than $10K, hopefully by a good bit, so this eliminates the Susvara headphones paired with suitable amplifier.

Here is a description of my journey so far:
Currently own Mr. Speakers Ether 2 headphones and the Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier (along with A LOT of ancillary equipment).
Two years ago I thought the HiFi Man HE-1000 headphones were the answer, then the v2 came out, then I read about dependability problems; then Raal and MySphere entered the picture.
In-between, I graduated to what I then thought was "the absolute final answer", Stax SR-009 (the s model had not been released yet) paired with BSHE or KGSSHV Carbon (although the Carbon doesn't utilize tubes it surely is spectacular, but I don't need to tell you). But a lot of people said the Stax electrostatics are a bit clinical and I got busy with some other business... so I did nothing for a little while longer.
Then I became aware of the MySphere 3.2 headphones, and about eight months ago demo-ed a pair, powered by my Pass Labs amplifier and also a friend's (very good) meticulously-built Dynahi amp. Well, here's the ticket, anyone could purchase the MySpheres and pair them with the right amplifier and be happy for a long time. (That is probably still true today, especially in the under $8K for headphones and amp category.)
Of course, by this time the Raal SR-1a headphones had been getting good reviews so I started looking at tube-hybrid integrated amplifiers that didn't cost an arm and a leg to go with the Raals (with interface box) - but then the Jot-R came out and now finally the HSA-1a is out (kind of).

I woke up this morning thinking: "It's time to make a move," so a set of MySphere 3.2s paired with the LTA's MicroZOTL MZ3 amplifier might be the ticket, as I've always liked tube pre-amps/amplification. If I go with conventional (planer or dynamic) headphones, I'm determined to power them with a tube-base headphone amp.

BUT, every time I think I'll do something like what I suggest above (whether with MySpheres or Focal Utopias or Stax SR-009s), I do some reading.
Then, I come back to the Raals. It seems, now that the HSA-1a has been released, for $7K or so this system is now the no-brainer?

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #2,297 of 7,847
@Pale Rider, thanks very much for your terrific review of the Primavera amplifier. I was going to post these questions/comments with that review, but then realized it is 99% a Raal headphones post/question so I moved it here...

1) How much better are the Raal headphones with the Raal HSA-1a amplifier, compared to the SR-1as with the Jot-R (the Jot-R being 1/4 the price of the HSA-1a)? I guess a follow up, does the SR-1a paired with the HSA-1a amplifier pretty much sound better than when paired with most any high-powered (and high quality) regular pre-amp/amplifier combo + interface box, regardless of price? Or, at least any amp/preamp combo under $10K?
2) Paired with the MicroZotl MZ3 amplifier, or some other boutique amp like the ecp DSHA-4 or ecp L-3, or Apex Teton, what do you think about the MySphere 3.2s compared to the Raal headphones paired with the Raal amplifier? Or does it come down to this: As long as one eliminates the Raals from consideration, then the "no-brainer" is the MySpheres with a really good amplifier, if one can afford it?
3) I lied about there being only two questions. Are there upgrades people have found that "help" the HSA-1a? Or, is the only "upgrade" replacing one headphone output for the SR-1as with a "normal" female four-pin balanced output so the HSA-1a will work with regular headphones.
4) So, I'm thinking now is the time to pull the trigger on the Raal combo and I go to their web-site and look at photos of the HSA-1a. What the heck?!!! The RCA inputs are right next to the IEC power input, pretty much as close as they could possibly be without touching! For many of us these are the only two connections on the back that will be used, and they are way too close to each other for comfort.

I have been working on an "end game" headphone setup for a couple of years now; I have most everything in place except headphones and amplifier. Sounds backwards, but there have been a lot of headphone developments in the last few years!!! For the better. Currently I am listening to two components I picked up as near-new, as a "stop-gap" measure: Ether2 headphones driven by Pass Labs' HPA-1 headphone amplifier. The result is pleasing, but (for more $$) there is better to be had. The problem is, the landscape keeps changing!

I'm finally getting anxious though, and wish to soon sell my current amplifier and headphones and "graduate" to something better. But, two pieces of something better need to cost less than $10K, hopefully by a good bit, so this eliminates the Susvara headphones paired with suitable amplifier.

Currently own Mr. Speakers Ether 2 headphones and the Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier (along with A LOT of ancillary equipment).
Two years ago I thought the HiFi Man HE-1000 headphones were the answer, then the v2 came out, then I read about dependability problems; then Raal and MySphere entered the picture.
In-between, I graduated to what I then thought was "the absolute final answer", Stax SR-009 (the s model had not been released yet) paired with BSHE or KGSSHV Carbon (although the Carbon doesn't utilize tubes it surely is spectacular, but I don't need to tell you). But a lot of people said the Stax electrostatics are a bit clinical and I got busy with some other business... so I did nothing for a little while longer.
Then I became aware of the MySphere 3.2 headphones, and about eight months ago demo-ed a pair, powered by my Pass Labs amplifier and also a friend's (very good) meticulously-built Dynahi amp. Well, here's the ticket, anyone could purchase the MySpheres and pair them with the right amplifier and be happy for a long time. (That is probably still true today, especially in the under $8K for headphones and amp category.)
Of course, by this time the Raal SR-1a headphones had been getting good reviews so I started looking at tube-hybrid integrated amplifiers that didn't cost an arm and a leg to go with the Raals (with interface box) - but then the Jot-R came out and now finally the HSA-1a is out (kind of).

I woke up this morning thinking: "It's time to make a move," so a set of MySphere 3.2s paired with the LTA's MicroZOTL MZ3 amplifier might be the ticket, as I've always liked tube pre-amps/amplification. If I go with conventional (planer or dynamic) headphones, I'm determined to power them with a tube-base headphone amp.

BUT, every time I think I'll do something like what I suggest above (whether with MySpheres or Focal Utopias or Stax SR-009s), I do some reading.
Then, I come back to the Raals. It seems, now that the HSA-1a has been released, for $7K or so this system is now the no-brainer?
If you don’t listen to hip-hop or metal, the SR1a and JotR is the cheapest endgame setup you can buy (you can maybe pair it with a Hugo 2).

If I didn’t listen to hip-hop and metal, I’d say the SR1as are the best headphones you can buy. However, I love hip-hop and metal, so I find the TCs to be a necessity as well for me

But yeah, if you don’t listen to bass heavy music, I think you’d be very happy with the SR1as and the JotR or HS1a

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2,298 of 7,847
I am very interested in the raal but I must say the bass on the abyss just growls....simply incredibly and spacious and detailed....the raal has to be scary good to better it as a total package

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #2,299 of 7,847
I am very interested in the raal but I must say the bass on the abyss just growls....simply incredibly and spacious and detailed....the raal has to be scary good to better it as a total package

I think I told someone before, but Abyss TC bass is like really, really good bass-reflex speakers whereas Raal bass is like really, really good sealed-box speakers. There are fans and detractors of both approaches, and I unfortunately won't be able to sell one of the two, either.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,300 of 7,847

Have you read this thread?: https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal...on-headphone-speaker-amp-official-thread/6029

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #2,301 of 7,847
If I didn’t listen to hip-hop and metal, I’d say the SR1as are the best headphones you can buy. However, I love hip-hop and metal, so I find the TCs to be a necessity as well for me

But yeah, if you don’t listen to bass heavy music, I think you’d be very happy with the SR1as and the JotR or HS1a
Add a subwoofer near by (feetfield?) and you should be good for bass heavy music!

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #2,302 of 7,847
Add a subwoofer near by (feetfield?) and you should be good for bass heavy music!
The subwoofer better be as fast and portable as the RAALs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #2,304 of 7,847
Abyss TC bass is like really, really good bass-reflex speakers whereas Raal bass is like really, really good sealed-box speakers.

Have you tried SR1a+HSA1a combo? This is what Torq said about it :

"Not even the mighty AB-1266 Phi TC can do bass-resolution, texture and speed this well.
Yes, the Abyss is slightly more visceral and has a tad more impact on the low-end, and plays deeper (without EQ), but the difference isn’t that big (and barely discernible with EQ) …
"

This plus the fact it can greatly drive other cans and speakers is why I am tempted to go HSA1a but I might wait a bit and see what comes next as the price is not cheap (maybe a JotR 2?). In the time being (and for the future also) the less expensive route for me would be pairing a fast-sub which could have its own advantages and incovenients over HSA1a.

I am interested in using one or multiple Rythmik servo subwoofers (GR Resarch paper cones) with the SR1a. But I do not have clue how you setup crossover... How to connect subwoofers to JotR or HSA1? The transducer's mass of a 12" woofer is much higher than the one on the SR1a, moreover the Sr1a is much closer to the ears than the subwoofer. Will the servo setup be able to compensate this to have a perfect crossover?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #2,305 of 7,847
I will be using a small REL subwoofer to supplement my home theater Center Channel (in addition, of course, to the larger sub(s) that will be used to reproduce LFE effects); I will connect high level inputs of the REL to the Center Channel speaker outputs of my A/V Receiver. I will not utilize the LFE input on the center channel sub.
In the back of my mind, it would be easy to bring that 12" cubed and less than 30 lb sub into my study for serious listening sessions, having a speaker wire already in place and pluging it using the identical method. With my headphone setup, the speaker wire would take the signal from the speaker taps on the HSA-1a amplifier to the High Level input of the REL sub . Quick and Easy. I think the REL is supposed to be more musical than a lot of subs, but maybe not more so than one using servo technology... I like REL's method of utilizing both the high level signal from speaker outputs, to beef up the sound of L and R speakers whether "large" or "small", and, additionally, the LFE input whose output level can be independently adjusted.

Back Panel of REL.jpg

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #2,306 of 7,847
Hello!

Is there a problem with using raal sr1a with a more powerful power amplifier?What is the maximum power limit to use with sr1a?
Because I have a Mcintosh MC611 and I'm looking to pair the raal sr1a with it. Mcintosh have power output per channel
600 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms.
Dont know if I need a less powerful amp. What do you think?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,307 of 7,847
I will be using a small REL subwoofer to supplement my home theater Center Channel (in addition, of course, to the larger sub(s) that will be used to reproduce LFE effects); I will connect high level inputs of the REL to the Center Channel speaker outputs of my A/V Receiver. I will not utilize the LFE input on the center channel sub.
In the back of my mind, it would be easy to bring that 12" cubed and less than 30 lb sub into my study for serious listening sessions, having a speaker wire already in place and pluging it using the identical method. With my headphone setup, the speaker wire would take the signal from the speaker taps on the HSA-1a amplifier to the High Level input of the REL sub . Quick and Easy. I think the REL is supposed to be more musical than a lot of subs, but maybe not more so than one using servo technology... I like REL's method of utilizing both the high level signal from speaker outputs, to beef up the sound of L and R speakers whether "large" or "small", and, additionally, the LFE input whose output level can be independently adjusted.

I found my "Nirvana" with Sr1a + Subwoofer Rel Tzero. It wasn't my idea.
I have to say thanks to French forum "musique-o-casque.com"
https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?t=201

P.s.: Hi Cladane, I am “Simone two” :wink:

Rel Tzero.JPG

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,308 of 7,847
I found my "Nirvana" with Sr1a + Subwoofer Rel Tzero. It wasn't my idea.
I have to say thanks to French forum "musique-o-casque.com"
https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?t=201

P.s.: Hi Cladane, I am “Simone two” :wink:

Rel Tzero.JPG
He has a YouTube channel filled with useful information too. Wish there were subtitles (currently, only his latest four videos have CC) cause he speaks his native language.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,309 of 7,847
Is there a problem with using raal sr1a with a more powerful power amplifier?What is the maximum power limit to use with sr1a?
Because I have a Mcintosh MC611 and I'm looking to pair the raal sr1a with it. Mcintosh have power output per channel
600 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms.
Dont know if I need a less powerful amp. What do you think?
No problem. It's just like with speakers — don't turn the volume up too high if you don't want to blow them out.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,310 of 7,847
My SR1A will be delivered on Thursday of this week. I've owned most of the TOTL usual suspects (Susvara, Abyss Phi CC and TC, Diana Phi, LCD-4 / 24 / 4z / i4, HEKv2 / se , HD800 / HD800s and Sr009), but I basically ordered these blind with next to no research on my part. I sold my HP amp a while back and have been running direct from Chord HMS/Dave and enjoying it. These were not initially on my radar since I did not want to buy another amp, but a friend pointed out that I could re-purpose my Benchmark ABH2 that I'm using to drive B&W 805 d3's from a TT2 in my office. He shared the following link and I quickly placed an order.
https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/benchmark/

Now that I'm two days away from moving the AHB2 to my Dave rig I'm having second thoughts. Believe it or not, TT2's balanced output drives the 805's exceptionally well (805's off XLR and a ML sub off RCA), but I like knowing I have all of that power on reserve and more power surely can't hurt dynamics. I will likely order a 2nd ABH2 so I can have one in both rooms, but if there is a better alternative in the same basic price range I wouldn't mind the variety.

Any feedback from others using the abh2? There's surprisingly little in this thread regarding this amp.

Any other suggestions on a quality (highly transparent NO ADDED WARMTH) I should read up on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back