Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 4, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,221 of 7,885
I am having lot of fun in tube rolling with Freya in front of Rogue.

It may sound too gentle with RCA gray bottle but with brown base Sylvania 6sn7wgt, it give more sparkle and lively sound but without hot edge.

418M5V9B1XL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Folia-Gregorio-Paniagua/dp/B0000D16BM

This is an amazing CD that I had enjoyed for 30 years.

It is a nice tool to test soundstage and dynamics.

Track 7 Vulgaris has some explosive bang which Rogue reproduced well without distortion.

I think Rogue and Freya fitted with Nos tube really do wonder to drive Sr1a.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #2,222 of 7,885
May 7, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #2,223 of 7,885
Update on the tube rolling for Freya.

Sylvania vt231 in gain stage and RCA gray bottle in buffer stage give ideal combination of details speed and wide and deep soundstage but without hot edges.

I expect to get Jot R back at the end of next week.

Now I am happy with sound out of Sr1a driven by Freya and Rogue Cronus Magnum II fitted with Nos Telefuken 12x7 and Amperex 12au7.

But Freya and Jot R will also give exciting sound but less fatiguing than Jot R only.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,224 of 7,885
It depends on how loud you play.

I had been listening to it for last 3 hours.

It seems to work well for 95% of music at moderate volume.

I was not very impressed.with it (not bad either with sweet sound ) when I had tried it without Freya about three months ago using 4m headphone extending cable connected to Dave headphone output.

But with Freya connected to Dave through 4 m balanced cable, Rogue really sings with more microdynamics and nuanced details.

Some of the difference could be due to superiority of 4 m Purist audio design balanced cable over 4 m Grado headphone extension cable

There must be Rogue dealer in Singapore.

You may bring Sr1a and interface to try Rogue yourself not just Magnum but also monoblocks if available.
Interesting. The RAAL does some things so well, but is problematic to my ears in other. Without question the soundstage and details are world class, but... This hobby is so complicated.

May 10, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,225 of 7,885
Interesting. The RAAL does some things so well, but is problematic to my ears in other. Without question the soundstage and details are world class, but... This hobby is so complicated.
I do not miss lack of deep bass in Sr1a, since I will use my 2 channel system with two 18 inch subwoofers if I go for deep bass.

The more serious problem was somewhat bright sound out of it.

But driven with Freya and Rogue Cronus, it sound sweet like Stax 009s.

Actually I also enjoy 009s driven by Freya and Kgsshv Carbon.

By the way I understand why you like Abyss 1266 TC so much after brief audition of 1266 phi cc.

If they release 1266 EC(next version of TC , extreme clarity), then I may add it to my headphone collection:darthsmile:

I will get my Jot R back next week.

I hope Freya and Jot R will give exciting but not too aggressive sound out of sr1a.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,226 of 7,885
Got my Raal’s. Pairing with Jot R as HSA was unavailable. Using Lampi GG in front end. Definitely different sound than my Stax but might describe it with many of the same words. Waiting on my new preamp to do some AB testing. In the mean time, enjoying the Raal‘s while I get a sense of their sound.

May 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,227 of 7,885
Got my Raal’s. Pairing with Jot R as HSA was unavailable. Using Lampi GG in front end. Definitely different sound than my Stax but might describe it with many of the same words. Waiting on my new preamp to do some AB testing. In the mean time, enjoying the Raal‘s while I get a sense of their sound.
Welcome to Sr1a club!

I also happen to have 009s and hd800s.

With tube output from Lampi GG, it will sound fine with Jot R.

I have good result with Freya pre in front of Jot R, but Freya is backordered.

What new preamp are you trying on your system?

May 13, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,228 of 7,885
Welcome to Sr1a club!

I also happen to have 009s and hd800s.

With tube output from Lampi GG, it will sound fine with Jot R.

I have good result with Freya pre in front of Jot R, but Freya is backordered.

What new preamp are you trying on your system?

Bespoke Audio
https://www.thebespokeaudiocompany.com/

This COVID thing has made me reexamine my system. I am trading in my GG for the new Lampi Pacific as well. I think with the Lampi's tubes, I have enough control to play with the sound. Don't think I need the Freya or any other active preamp.

May 13, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,229 of 7,885
Has anybody else heard the HSA-1A?

I’ve seen a few comments about the HSA-1A, but I’m curious to what others think. I have the JotR, but I am considering the jump up to the HSA if it indeed is better

May 13, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #2,230 of 7,885
Has anybody else heard the HSA-1A?

I’ve seen a few comments about the HSA-1A, but I’m curious to what others think. I have the JotR, but I am considering the jump up to the HSA if it indeed is better

I also struggled with this decision and found limited information of the differences between on the web.

However I did talk to an insider. I heard of something that is being be worked on right now and it might behoove you to wait. You might have some more choices to choose between.

May 13, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,231 of 7,885
I also struggled with this decision and found limited information of the differences between on the web.

However I did talk to an insider. I heard of something that is being be worked on right now and it might behoove you to wait. You might have some more choices to choose between.
Another AMP? How long to wait?

May 13, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #2,232 of 7,885

HSA-1A may be a moot point because the pandemic has really messed with international gear, and from what I understand, latest version of HSA-1A is unlikely to ship until July.
If others are working on other amps options for SR1a, that is always a good thing in my mind. I just hope they cost less than HSA-1A.

May 13, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,233 of 7,885
HSA-1A may be a moot point because the pandemic has really messed with international gear, and from what I understand, latest version of HSA-1A is unlikely to ship until July.
If others are working on other amps options for SR1a, that is always a good thing in my mind. I just hope they cost less than HSA-1A.
Actually Freya and Jot R combination had worked pretty well before I sent Jot R for repair.

I had not got Jot R back yet.

Freya fitted with Nos tube make sound out of Sr1a slightly relaxed.

Sr1a driven by Freya and Rogue Cronus Magnum II sound too gentle and sweet almost like Stax 009s.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,234 of 7,885
Bespoke Audio
https://www.thebespokeaudiocompany.com/

This COVID thing has made me reexamine my system. I am trading in my GG for the new Lampi Pacific as well. I think with the Lampi's tubes, I have enough control to play with the sound. Don't think I need the Freya or any other active preamp.
I had used passive attenuator in front of Krell KSA 150 between 1989 and 1999 to maximize the transparency of Apogee Duetta Sig which is a true ribbon speaker.

But I had never felt Duetta driven by Krell hot.

I auditioned Lampi Pacific 2 years ago and got impressed with it.

I chose Dave and HMs over Pacific since I am using tube int amplifier.

Tube Dac and Tube amp can be too much of good thing.:triportsad:

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #2,235 of 7,885
I had used passive attenuator in front of Krell KSA 150 between 1989 and 1999 to maximize the transparency of Apogee Duetta Sig which is a true ribbon speaker.

But I had never felt Duetta driven by Krell hot.

I auditioned Lampi Pacific 2 years ago and got impressed with it.

I chose Dave and HMs over Pacific since I am using tube int amplifier.

Tube Dac and Tube amp can be too much of good thing.:triportsad:

Good luck!

I think you and I have some of the same thinking. I was thinking about the same thing about maintaining transparency given that the Raal is a ribbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back