Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,726 of 7,885
After about 1 month of ownership, I found that the sweet spot of the SR1a – in the context of my system where I have the Abyss TC and the Riviera AIC-10 (10W only) amp – is, as per my previous post, with acoustic music listened at moderate level.

Baroque, jazz, vocals, solo stringed instruments all sound wonderfully realistic, and the timbre matching between the AIC-10 (equipped with a warm-ish tube like a Mullard vintage CV4003) and the SR1a is extremely satisfying, and can be further finely tuned with a very modest EQ (in my case some bass boost under 80Hz and a slight dip around 7.5kHz).

Outside this sweet spot, I use my Abyss TC (no EQ needed) and I could live pretty content with this complementary setup, of course.

But, being an audiophile :persevere:, I could not resist the itch to investigate whether / how much I can expand the envelope of situations where the SR1a outperforms the TC.

Plan A would be to find an amplifier able to drive both TC and SR1a at their max, thus replacing the AIC-10. This is most likely to end up being a very expensive plan, because to match the AIC-10 sound quality and at least 100W of output power is not going to be easy.

Nevertheless, this is what I am investigating right now.

I visited a high-end audio shop a few days ago, where I spent a whole afternoon trying a few nice amplifiers with my two headphones.

I first started with a Krell 300-I (150W on 8Ohm). This session was very brief, as I did not like the pairing with the SR1a at all, due to an excessively bright and hard sound signature.

Next came the NAGRA Classic Amp (100W). Much better! A very transparent and liquid presentation with both SR1a and TC, with a pretty neutral and refined character. Compared to the AIC-10 / Mullard, tonality was slightly colder.

The additional power allowed much more satisfying listening levels with the SR1a, a more spacious and layered soundstage (especially noticeable with large orchestral works). However, the lack of bass oomph that prevents me from considering the SR1a an all-rounder within the whole of my listening programs still stays. Organ, the lowest resonant notes of tympani or double bass section attack, or hip hop / electronica sub-bass rumble were basically non-existent with the SR1a, thus robbing a significant part of my enjoyment of some tracks of my playlist. The Abyss TC still provide an overall better experience, in my opinion / tastes, for musical content where the energy, volume and extension of the sub-bass region is necessary.

By looking at the NAGRA VU meter, it reached the end of the scale (100W on 8Ohm) several times when I tried to listen to quietly recorded classical music at spirited levels, when the bass kicked in. Soft clipping was audible with some extreme tracks played at first-row concert-like SPL (e.g. Rikard Nordraak Funeral March, Reference Recordings).

My last audition was also the longest and the more enjoyable: enter the DarTZeel LHC-208.

This is an all-in-one streamer-DAC-amplifier (200W) which sits at the entry level of the DarTZeel offering. It lists for 17kEuro, where the next amplifier from DarTZeel is the 28kEuro :confounded: CTH-8550 (which I could neither afford nor audition, sadly).

The LHC-208 has a warm, inviting sound with a very sweet treble, a rich (not over-)saturated midrange and a bloom in the bass which – all put together – significantly change how the SR1a (and the Abyss TC) present sounds to your ears compared to a more linear amplifier like the NAGRA.

If you want to further leverage on the unique strengths of the SR1a (speed, transparency, resolution, treble extension etc.), this may not be the best option.

However, in my case I was happy to trade-off some transparency for the added meat to the bone the DarTZeel provided to the RAAL in the low end (more present bass, longer decay times), the additional harmonics richness of the midrange and the softer treble.

Also, with 200W on tap I found no situations where the DarTZeel was struggling to handle even dramatic dynamics swings at any listening level / frequency range. The additional body in the bass region made the SR1a feel warmer overall, and ... bassier of course, yet still the sub-bass response was not extended enough to capture some atmospherics rumble and render appropriately the heft of tympani strokes or the lowest notes of the organ.

As much as I liked the pairing of the LHC-208 with the SR1a, I was much less convinced by its performance with the TC, where the bass came out a bit overdone and slow, and the transparency loss was too noticeable. The Riviera AIC-10 remains the best match, to my ears, I have auditioned so far with the AB-1266.

My takeaways from this listening session were:

- With an appropriate amplifier pairing (like the LHC-208) I could actually enjoy the SR1a more than what I am doing right now with my underpowered amp;
- No matter the power available, the sub-bass response is not going to reach the quantity levels I feel as necessary for part of my listening, hence I do not see the SR1a as able of entirely replacing my Abyss TC;
- Power is not the only figure to look at, as the utterly transparent nature of the SR1a is going to show the weaknesses of any amplifier. So good quality is necessary and – at least to my preferences – also the right tonal matching (as blasphemous as it may sound for whom see amplifiers as 'wires-with-gain' gear).

My research is going to continue in the next months, being the next step to audition a VIVA Solista and possibly some other great tube amps suitable for both SR1a and TC.

In the meantime, when the Jotunheim R becomes available, I could give it a try, as it is too appealing as a solution (read: cheap, simple, small) to pass :L3000:.

interesting test, but as other headfiers have advised you, I would not go on such expensive amps as Dartzeel, I would separate the one for Abyss, Riviera, and the one for sr1a.
Have you ever tried a class D like the Nuforce, a friend has taken it and works wonders, you could listen to the Viva and the Nuforce from Audio Graffiti to Pandino, if you want I can pass you the contact of Sergio Pozzi who is always very helpful and curious about these test.
Then I'm waiting for a Powersoft demo and I remind you that a very hifi close friend sold his 15k Burmester to get a Powersoft that costs only 2k with a huge advantage for the wallet ...

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #1,727 of 7,885
Instead of spending a gazillion dollars on some super-amp, which will probably still not completely satisfy in bass, have you considered playing your Raal Sr1a while a good subwoofer is playing, preferably with you sitting on top or very close to it?

Yes, I have used a sub with a HD800 a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun! Due to some physical (space) and environmental (neighbors, wife) constraints, it is not a viable option in my present situation, though :triumph:

interesting test, but as other headfiers have advised you, I would not go on such expensive amps as Dartzeel, I would separate the one for Abyss, Riviera, and the one for sr1a.
Have you ever tried a class D like the Nuforce, a friend has taken it and works wonders, you could listen to the Viva and the Nuforce from Audio Graffiti to Pandino, if you want I can pass you the contact of Sergio Pozzi who is always very helpful and curious about these test.
Then I'm waiting for a Powersoft demo and I remind you that a very hifi close friend sold his 15k Burmester to get a Powersoft that costs only 2k with a huge advantage for the wallet ...

This is a very realistic possibility. I realize my "plan A" - super-amp - is really super-expensive, and a "plan B" with the Jot-R or with a class D dedicated amp for the SR1a is definitely a more sensible option.

I am not sure I will like the SR1a driven by a uber-neutral amplifier (relatively cheap Class D have this reputation), so in any case auditioning first is mandatory for me, I will add a visit to Audio Graffiti to my plan B roadshow :joy:. I am very curious about what you will discover with the Powersoft, in comparison with the ultra-linear Benchmark AHB2 you are using right now. Please keep us updated!

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,728 of 7,885
Yes, I have used a sub with a HD800 a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun! Due to some physical (space) and environmental (neighbors, wife) constraints, it is not a viable option in my present situation, though :triumph:

This is a very realistic possibility. I realize my "plan A" - super-amp - is really super-expensive, and a "plan B" with the Jot-R or with a class D dedicated amp for the SR1a is definitely a more sensible option.

I am not sure I will like the SR1a driven by a uber-neutral amplifier (relatively cheap Class D have this reputation), so in any case auditioning first is mandatory for me, I will add a visit to Audio Graffiti to my plan B roadshow :joy:. I am very curious about what you will discover with the Powersoft, in comparison with the ultra-linear Benchmark AHB2 you are using right now. Please keep us updated!

Dear Simo,
I also thought that the class D had a reputation for neutrality, but with Nuforce this does not happen, on the contrary, the sound is lush and sweet.
A curiosity, the Raal box-to-amp tail is the stock one or have you tried some new cable?
a good copper cable of generous section already makes a big difference I noticed ...

Ps.
If you pass by Audio Graffiti, give me a nod, maybe I can think of taking a ride too ...

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,729 of 7,885

Torq reported good result with Jot R.

With his credibility, it may be wise for us to wait for Jot R before experimenting with expensive options.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #1,731 of 7,885
I had tried
Purist Audio Design Genesis Praesto Revision XLR
cable between Chord Dave and Crown 2502 amplifier.

Wow now Sr1a sounds musical with Crown with fast transient and soft details.

There are many different kind of Interconnect cables, some sounds analytical, others on the musical side with soft signature.

Purist Audio Design cable is on the latter side.

This magnificent piano solo by Maestro Rubinstein has balance of clarity and musicality.

Since Rogue Cronus Magnum II has only unbalanced input, I could not try this cable on it.

Jot R also has balanced input, thus I will try this Purist Audio Design cable with it when Jot R is available.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,732 of 7,885
https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-32-raal-requisite-sr1a-headphones-page-2

Nice review on Sr1a by Stereophile's Herb Reichert .

He also made comparison between Abyss 1266 Phi and Sr1a.

Are the $3500 SR1a's better than the $4999 Abyss AB-1266 Phi's?

A: No.

But they are not inferior.

The Abyss AB-1266 Phi's remain my reference headphones. When powered by the Pass Labs XA25 amplifier, the Abyss 'phones deliver the most natural, lifelike audio reproduction I have experienced. The Abyss headphones are also quieter and more transparent than the SR1a's.

The RAAL-Requisites are more conspicuously open and dynamic than the Abyss 'phones. But . . .

Please understand . . . the Abyss and RAAL headphones sound more alike than they sound like any other headphones out there

I got the similar impression between them when I tried them side by side with courtesy of Torq last November.

Abyss sounds more accurate while Sr1a sound more open and exciting.

Herb noticed clipping with Rogue Stereo 100 which I also experienced with Rogue Magnum II while playing full volume of Pink Floyd's Wall.

He must be playing pretty loud since I did not notice clipping very often with Magmum II.

It is too bad he could not try Jot R on it.

Nevertheless Herb gave highest rating A+ on Sr1a.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,733 of 7,885
Thanks for posting this. I am listening to my SR1a right now, patiently reloading the Schiit website every half hour or so , but loving the sound. I think the Jot R and possibly other direct drive amps, will make a big difference for this headphone. I love it. Almost as much as my Stax 009/T2 combo, and I think the right amp, without the buffer, will take it up.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,734 of 7,885
Thanks for posting this. I am listening to my SR1a right now, patiently reloading the Schiit website every half hour or so , but loving the sound. I think the Jot R and possibly other direct drive amps, will make a big difference for this headphone. I love it. Almost as much as my Stax 009/T2 combo, and I think the right amp, without the buffer, will take it up.
I enjoy open and fast sound of Sr1a although Stax 009s/ KGsshv Carbon sounds more refined.

Let us see what happens to Sr1a if driven by direct amp like Jot R.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,735 of 7,885
I enjoy open and fast sound of Sr1a although Stax 009s/ KGsshv Carbon sounds more refined.

Let us see what happens to Sr1a if driven by direct amp like Jot R.
Agreed. Though, as much as I love my Carbon CC and SE-007 (all three as well as the 009 before I received the T2), and could listen all day and night long, the 009 on the T2 is just “other-ness.” I’ve been going back and forth all day long on everything from piano to female vocals to Verdi to Dire Straits to Dead Can Dance. Granted, the two are not just on different and completely different amps, but they are also receiving signals from two different DACs. Still, they evoke very different reactions. Right now, the Stax sounds “better,” but the SR1a is more seductive. The RAAL is more lush. If the Stax is the recording studio, the SE1a is the dimly lit nightclub, and the disembodied voice at the microphone is cloaked in curves of smoke and clinging sequins. Maybe that’s the Pinot talking.

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,736 of 7,885
Herb noticed clipping with Rogue Stereo 100 which I also experienced with Rogue Magnum II while playing full volume of Pink Floyd's Wall.

He must be playing pretty loud since I did not notice clipping very often with Magmum II.

I don't know how Herb got it to clip so often. I'm using mine with the Stereo 100 and it's clipped only twice since I had it in Mar'19, and that was at an intolerable volume (when I was trying to burn-in the amp and headphones). Also tried it with the Magmum III which did not clip.

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #1,737 of 7,885
I don't know how Herb got it to clip so often. I'm using mine with the Stereo 100 and it's clipped only twice since I had it in Mar'19, and that was at an intolerable volume (when I was trying to burn-in the amp and headphones). Also tried it with the Magmum III which did not clip.
Because of its open design, one may turn up the volume especially with sweet sounding tube amplifiers.

With 80 watts available at 6 ohms, one can play it loud enough to cause clipping.

But I found that Rogue Cronus Magnum II has solid control of bass, that is , it is not underpowered.

Higher power monoblock Rogue amplifier may be best choice for Sr1a.

But I will try out Jot R first before experimenting with expensive options.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,738 of 7,885
Something I don't remember being mentioned on this thread pertains to the short length of jumper cable that goes between the amps output connectors and the interface's input connectors.

1. If a longer length is needed because of placement, can any type/brand speaker cable be substituted?
2. Do things like length, gauge, impedance, resistance or capacitance matter with this cable?
3. Has anyone tried any cabling other than the supplied ones?

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #1,739 of 7,885
I am using aftermarket 4 ft speaker cables (custom pure copper cables) to the adapter box from my amps and they sound even better than stock.

So, yes, you can use longer cables than stock. I went with a thicker gauge cable than stock just to make sure everything would work.

PM for specific details if interested.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #1,740 of 7,885

I am listening to above music through Sr1a after listening to same one through my Lansche 4.1 speaker.

It appears that Sr1a driven by Crown XLS2502 has more speed than my 2 channel speaker system.

Thus it is fun to listen to Sr1a.

No more purchase of headphone after Sr1a.

Although, I also enjoy nuanced details out of Stax 009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon amp, Sr1a give fast and exciting sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLS2502-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B0129IKF32

Crown XLS2502 is on sale(50$ off).

If you want fast transient out of Sr1a, you may try this one.

Of course, if you do not like it, you can return it within 30 days of Amazon purchase.

The only thing is that you can fry out the interface if you play too loud with more than 500 watts available at 6 ohm.

Be careful!

You can leave the amp 24/7 on.

Actually it sounds better after 24 hours on and it is also sensitive to clean power like other D class amp so good power conditioner is must.

I am having good result with 2kW isolation transformer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back