RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #526 of 1,049
I agree with him, nothing is the best but nothing I have heard is better
The moment I really appreciated these was when I tried out the $17k Shangri-La's at Can Jam and walked away thinking "You know, those are amazing, but it's really not that much better than my RAALs" With these ribbons you get the resolution and air of an estat but the bass of a planar.

Btw, has anyone else here played around with spatial audio on these? I'm having great fun with the "GG" app from Steelseries, the music is coming from in front of me and not from the ear cups effect on these is outstanding.

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #527 of 1,049
I agree with him, nothing is the best but nothing I have heard is better
He's such a hack and doesn't even know what things he's reviewed.

Of course they're good because countless of Head-Fi'ers with high levels of experience and reference have shared their experiences of just how good they really are.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #528 of 1,049

For whatever it's worth, I found his review of the CA-1a to mimic my personal experience. Very resolving, very fast, but yet has bass, filters really open up and clarify the closed pads.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #529 of 1,049

Of course they're good because countless of Head-Fi'ers with high levels of experience and reference have shared their experiences of just how good they really are.
I cannot speak to the reviewer at all, I just saw the headline and agreed....you and I agree ...so it is so lol

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #530 of 1,049
I cannot speak to the reviewer at all, I just saw the headline and agreed....you and I agree ...so it is so lol
That's right. Grovels. Ha.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #531 of 1,049
Listening to the CA-1a of the TI-1b and Shanling M30 (nutube output) on a sunny Sunday near the Equator. SRC open to DSD256. It is a sumptuous experience as ever. No regrets at all getting the CA-1a and TI-1b so soon after getting the SR-1a. It has great charms of its own right. :)

1634CC67-FB0A-42AA-9088-A19B7B25777B.png

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #532 of 1,049
@Aleksandar R. or anyone else in the know: if I'm running the CA-1a directly from a Schitt Jotunheim R, are 10ft Moon Audio Black Dragon or Silver Dragon cables going to work well? I was told that if using the TI-1b interface with a traditional amp, that you can only use the stock SC-2 cable, but I'm assuming you can use any length Moon Cable if running directly from the Jot R.

Also: any feedback from users on the Moon Black/Silver vs Raal Star 8?

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #533 of 1,049
@Aleksandar R. or anyone else in the know: if I'm running the CA-1a directly from a Schitt Jotunheim R, are 10ft Moon Audio Black Dragon or Silver Dragon cables going to work well? I was told that if using the TI-1b interface with a traditional amp, that you can only use the stock SC-2 cable, but I'm assuming you can use any length Moon Cable if running directly from the Jot R.

Also: any feedback from users on the Moon Black/Silver vs Raal Star 8?
10 ft. Moon Audio Black Dragon:
Their spec‘ed 4x 21.5 AWG would end up at a 0.17 Ohm total.
Jotunheim R is said to work best at 0.4 Ohm (like the original SR1a cable), so 10 ft Moon Audio Black Dragon would be way to low Ohm.
Might even be, JotR’s protection cuts the signal too early.

10 ft. Moon Audio Silver Dragon:
4x 24 AWG Silver.
You end up with 0.49 Ohm, bit on high side, but workable for JotR.

Both cables would work with the original Raal Amp/Ribbon Interface.

To judge if they work with the Ti-1a/b from the specs isn’t possible, as inductance isn’t mentioned.
From the resistance, Black Dragon would fit, Silver is too high.

The requiremens for T1-1a/b optimal performance are quite strong, no more than 0.23 Ohm AND no more than 0.8uH.
Hard to fulfill with a basic, total of 4 parallel wires construction, coax or special multi-cores arrangements would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #534 of 1,049
I have the Moon cable and it works just fine out of all the different options

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #535 of 1,049
I have the Moon cable and it works just fine out of all the different options
Have you already got the VM-1a? Would love to hear your impressions.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #536 of 1,049
yes got it today,initial impressions very favorable

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #537 of 1,049
Apr 6, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #538 of 1,049
Haha! Fascinating! I shall take it a step at a time. And just ponder the HSA-1b at this stage. 🙊

Apr 6, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #539 of 1,049
10 ft. Moon Audio Black Dragon:
Their spec‘ed 4x 21.5 AWG would end up at a 0.17 Ohm total.
Jotunheim R is said to work best at 0.4 Ohm (like the original SR1a cable), so 10 ft Moon Audio Black Dragon would be way to low Ohm.
Might even be, JotR’s protection cuts the signal too early.

10 ft. Moon Audio Silver Dragon:
4x 24 AWG Silver.
You end up with 0.49 Ohm, bit on high side, but workable for JotR.

Both cables would work with the original Raal Amp/Ribbon Interface.

To judge if they work with the Ti-1a/b from the specs isn’t possible, as inductance isn’t mentioned.
From the resistance, Black Dragon would fit, Silver is too high.
Thanks for the detailed reply, this is great information.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #540 of 1,049
Not good for my wallet 😅
nor mine, I sold my bakoon 13r to partially fund it but I must admit I love the Raal HP's and this ups the game....bass is terrific...vocals are eerily good and all of the Raal virtues are simply better...the HSA-1b is quite good and very versatile giving one a back up amp for planars etc....you can find great deals for the 1b now

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back