RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Feb 16, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #496 of 1,050
Just used my CA-1a to play a new PC game that was ported from PS5 called Returnal. It has two different 3D audio modes and both sound excellent on the CA-1a, I can hear exactly where everything is and every little raindrop falling on the character's helmet. I've started using the CA-1a for Call of Duty as well, important to be able to hear other player's footsteps and locate where they are.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #497 of 1,050
I got my CA-1as yesterday and have to say that I really appreciate the sheer comfort of these headphones. The foam lets the ears breathe, the whole thing is pretty light and the soft leather band seems to distribute the weight better across the top of the head. Love the concrete looks of them too, very rooted in function.

The Accurate Sounds convolution filter has been a revelation especially considering just how good the CA-1a is out of the box and Mitch is super responsive and helpful too.

Can't think of a purchase I've been as happy with in a long while.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #498 of 1,050
yes, light and very comfortable...a pleasure to wear and they sound as good as any HP I have heard when used with the convolution filter...I go back and forth between the hsa-1b and my CFA3 with the adapter..I think I lean towards the hsa-1b but ask me tomorrow lol

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #499 of 1,050
SLT Tech, the Singapore AD, has just dropped me an email to let me know that my CA-1a package (with IT-1b, SE OB barrel and bespoke 6 foot interconnect cable) has shipped and will arrive in Singapore late Monday. Exciting wait! But @Aleksandar R. kudos to the team for the quick turnaround time! :)

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #500 of 1,050
What are the major considerations between using the 32Ω vs 16Ω input on the T1-1b? It's being fed from a Jot 2. Have a Jot R arriving tomorrow too.

Still absolutely entranced by the CA-1a with the convolution filter. There are a few things that sound better without it like the Hogwarts game, but I prefer the neutral sound of the filter for most of what I listen.

I've been listening to a lot more music at my desk because of the CA-1a.

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #501 of 1,050
What are the major considerations between using the 32Ω vs 16Ω input on the T1-1b? It's being fed from a Jot 2. Have a Jot R arriving tomorrow too.

Still absolutely entranced by the CA-1a with the convolution filter. There are a few things that sound better without it like the Hogwarts game, but I prefer the neutral sound of the filter for most of what I listen.

I've been listening to a lot more music at my desk because of the CA-1a.
Looking at Schiit Jotunheim’s specs:

Balanced Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 7.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6W RMS per channel

The difference is just 1 dB higher power at 16 Ohm.
But - using the 32 Ohm input of Ti-1 presents a much easier load to the amp, that would be running at almost full current with 16 Ohm.
Therefore, if there’s an audible difference, 32 Ohm might sound cleaner.

When comparing, don’t forget to adjust for the same volume when switching cables.
16 Ohm will be somewhat louder.

And don’t plug cables while the music’s running.
Ti-1’s inductance can produce high voltages like an ignition coil, which the amp might not like.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #502 of 1,050
What KaiSc said, plus:

There is always a constant load at the secondary built in, plus the snubbers at the primaries, so even if you plug it in/out live, input or output, the transformer won't produce a voltage spike, as the primary inductance is always shunted with load and HF discharge bypass.

That was done to make it safe for amps and allow plugging in/out while the signal is on.

I have a bunch of headphones to test when we finish a batch. After they pass measurements, I must make sure there's no "rub and buzz" in the drivers, check the channels and polarity of cables, etc, so I plug them in/out without bothering to turn down or pause.

"Rub and Buzz" test is done at 6W peaks and ~10dB power crest factor and never tripped any protection or clipping indicator, nothing, with discrete solid-state or chip amps.

However, it's always smart to be cautious and follow the rules of transformer engagement.
I did my best to make it safe for user's amps, without the user having to think about it, but nobody can protect your own amp as you can yourself.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #503 of 1,050
Thanks @KaiSc and @Aleksandar R. for the complete reply! I've been switching those inputs live to test the difference but will be more careful in the future even with the protections you've built in.

I have to say these headphones + filter are spoiling me. I enjoy good sound but have avoided the audiophile "hole" so far and have been happy with my powered HT-A9 & Vanatoos and before that an Infiniti + SVS 5.1 setup that didn't really break the bank. But after spending 10-12 hours over the weekend with these wonderful headphones I'm now researching how I can get this quality in the bedroom - which is of course going to be an order of magnitude more expensive to achieve in reality, so I'm not going that far I think.

It's wonderful just how transparent the CA-1a is - and that's not just the fantastic sound but also the hyper-functional design that lets the headphone fade away like it doesn't exist. The weight and the foam pads are so light and airy, no sweaty/pressured ears. It all comes together into this one marvelous package.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #504 of 1,050
Thanks @KaiSc and @Aleksandar R. for the complete reply! I've been switching those inputs live to test the difference but will be more careful in the future even with the protections you've built in.
Seems, if you keep the headphones plugged while switching Ti1’s inputs there’s no concern.

I have to say these headphones + filter are spoiling me ...
... I'm now researching how I can get this quality in the bedroom - which is of course going to be an order of magnitude more expensive to achieve in reality, so I'm not going that far I think. ...
You can put the Jotunheim R in your bedroom and just carry the ‘phones around, which should be comfortable enough.
Maybe you can use the filters on your bedroom system too.

Or aquire one more of the last Jotunheim Rs from Schiit Audio’s closeout sale, costing much less than some cables here.
https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

I have a Jotunheim R here for my Raal SR1a.
It sounds a tiny bit different to the amp/ribbon interface on a good amp, but not in a way I’d value one better than the other.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #505 of 1,050
Sean from SLT Tech drove thru the pouring rain in Singapore just to deliver this to me personally. Kudos! @Aleksandar R. The man is a prince amongst men!

Kudos to the team for the wonderful 6 foot Interconnect cable as well. Very well made indeed! :)

93C58FF0-55D4-42E0-B58E-8A7C76E37604.jpeg
B587C231-7649-4BA9-B713-5523B922D38E.jpeg
192EF8B7-193D-4F8C-B245-9F987F979D27.jpeg
C169B053-4C6D-4FF8-8E6E-A8A0EB1DBF2B.jpeg
6EBC013B-4D10-4915-B0E2-29D39DF7A66C.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #506 of 1,050
Taking the CA-1a rig out for a spin. QQ Music > QPlay > iFi NEO Stream > Wells Audio Milo > TI-1b > CA-1a = sonic bliss!!! :)

A841F183-D945-48DF-9EBB-315E15912B56.jpeg

Feb 28, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #507 of 1,050
Now trying it with the Phatlab RASA which puts out 3.5 W per channel at 50 ohm. Very nice. I am most pleased! :)

Feb 28, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #508 of 1,050
Seems, if you keep the headphones plugged while switching Ti1’s inputs there’s no concern.

You can put the Jotunheim R in your bedroom and just carry the ‘phones around, which should be comfortable enough.

Or aquire one more of the last Jotunheim Rs from Schiit Audio’s closeout sale, costing much less than some cables here.

I have a Jotunheim R here for my Raal SR1a.
It sounds a tiny bit different to the amp/ribbon interface on a good amp, but not in a way I’d value one better than the other.
Excellent find on the b-stocks! Jot R incoming.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #509 of 1,050

That's how I got mine - got the 3rd last one at 115V. :)

Do miniDSPs allow applying convolution filters like the one from Accurate Sounds? If so, any recommendations? I don't mind putting the Jot R in the bedroom, that's not a bad idea.

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #510 of 1,050
Running the CA-1a/TI-1b off the Shanling M30 this morning so I can leverage off the lush sounds of the nutube output from the M30. :)

@Aleksandar R. The TI-1b is wonderfully transparent. So I get the full benefit of the lushness of the nutube sound! Gorgeous with the CA-1a.

38F46CAE-2608-4F7C-9A55-2847F4E08FA2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back