RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #437 of 1,049
The CFA3 runs the CA-1a with no problem? That is promising. Good heat-sinking I assume. Could you run the SR1a straight out of the CFA3? - Thanks
No problem. I am trying to get an super-low impedance Star cable made just for a preference of having all the headroom and without needing to run in high gain.
I do run a tube chain so I'm compulsive with maintaining a zero / inaudible noise floor.
You'd want to run an interface with CFA3 otherwise get a direct-drive amplifier.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #438 of 1,049
I think once more people hear the modified open pad, it will be a preferred choice.

There is something a lot more to this. It feels like the open filter removes distortion/hash in the recording and through loudness compression.
No other filter such as TC, LCD-5, etc respond in this way. Kind of nothing short of remarkable.

Have you shared these findings of others with the filters somewhere I missed?

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #439 of 1,049
Jan 27, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #440 of 1,049
Three Questions.

1. Where do you buy this headphone?
2. Can it run direct out of my 4pin output of my CFA-3 without any other electronics- just like any other headphone?
3. What type of termination does it use?

Jan 27, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #441 of 1,049
1. You can buy them here: https://raalrequisite.com/products/headphones/
2. The neccessary interface between true ribbon drivers and your amp comes together with the headphones. The amp needs to be on the powerful side of headphone amps. CFA qualifies, so yes.
3. XLR 4-pin as standard, but 1/4" TRS and 4mm Banana (for soeaker outputs) are available as optional.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #443 of 1,049
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #444 of 1,049
best HP for the money available...

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #446 of 1,049
[deleted]

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #447 of 1,049
I find a great synergy with the closed pad and Star8 cable, especially with piano solos, the sound is dense and material, full of reverbs and resonances that are very reminiscent of my Spirit Valkyria, which is the undisputed leader on this parameter.
I finally tried the Psvane el34 ph replica quartet too, and the sound is organic and heavy, the bass notes are deep but clear, the vibrations of the unamplified instruments give me goosebumps.

Attachments

• C2E2F730-89A2-4D09-97FD-47A2D5AF5AF9.jpeg
    C2E2F730-89A2-4D09-97FD-47A2D5AF5AF9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #448 of 1,049
I find a great synergy with the closed pad and Star8 cable, especially with piano solos, the sound is dense and material, full of reverbs and resonances that are very reminiscent of my Spirit Valkyria, which is the undisputed leader on this parameter.
I finally tried the Psvane el34 ph replica quartet too, and the sound is organic and heavy, the bass notes are deep but clear, the vibrations of the unamplified instruments give me goosebumps.
I was encouraged by your post and today had a session with the closed pads w/ Star 8 and Mitch’s closed pads filter. The reverbs (or perhaps resonance) are not as pronounced vs. without using Mitch’s filter, but it still brings me a lot of joy. I was listening to a few big orchestral pieces and the bass are just stunning. I also listened to some of my usual jazz albums and the sound was equally glorious. Amazing.

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #449 of 1,049
I was encouraged by your post and today had a session with the closed pads w/ Star 8 and Mitch’s closed pads filter. The reverbs (or perhaps resonance) are not as pronounced vs. without using Mitch’s filter, but it still brings me a lot of joy. I was listening to a few big orchestral pieces and the bass are just stunning. I also listened to some of my usual jazz albums and the sound was equally glorious. Amazing.
thanks for your reply, I ask you, how are you with these Mitch filters, they change the sound a lot, I'm deciding whether to try them or not, only that it's a bit problematic to install them on my Merging Nadac player because I only use the tablet as an interface, and should I connect a pc to the network, do you upload them to ROon?

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #450 of 1,049
thanks for your reply, I ask you, how are you with these Mitch filters, they change the sound a lot, I'm deciding whether to try them or not, only that it's a bit problematic to install them on my Merging Nadac player because I only use the tablet as an interface, and should I connect a pc to the network, do you upload them to ROon?
The filter does improve the sound and in a much better way. I believe a couple of fellow head-fiers here have also posted their impressions on the filter. I use them in Roon, it’s an easy install since my Roon Core is an iMac. In your case, I don’t really know how you can use/upload the filter with Merging+Player, perhaps it’s best to consult their technical support. That’s why I looked at Merging+NADAC (not the Player) as one of the upgrade options for my DAC, since it will be more convenient (e.g. using filters) to still have my iMac as the Roon Core.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back