RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Aug 3, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #122 of 1,050
Hi guys, completely new here. Can someone help me catch up with some general knowledge?
I know the SR1a was lacking in the low end, as i understand it the CA-1a has no such issues with bass performance?
Does the amp in front of the T1 matter with the CA? Would the Oor be adequate?
How does the CA-1A generally sound compared to..LCD-5, Elites, Susvara? Soundstage, imaging, resolution, bass etc.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #123 of 1,050
Hi guys, completely new here. Can someone help me catch up with some general knowledge?
I know the SR1a was lacking in the low end, as i understand it the CA-1a has no such issues with bass performance?
Does the amp in front of the T1 matter with the CA? Would the Oor be adequate?
How does the CA-1A generally sound compared to..LCD-5, Elites, Susvara? Soundstage, imaging, resolution, bass etc.
Quick response

Bass is certainly present and can take a shelf without issue.

The amp matters but I don't know to what degree, as I have only tried the three I own, DAVE headphone out, DNA Stellaris, KG CFA3. I run mine with the CFA3 using the 16ohm input on the T1.

If you find the Oor adequate for the Susvara, then it will be adequate for the CA. My Susvara volume settings are the same levels that I use for the CA to get the same db.

Now for the general sound, which I'll couch with this being subjective. They sound like a stat rather than a planar. In my experience, LCD-5 and Susvara (less so) have a lifted midrange to emphasize details. The CA has less emphasis in this area, so the resolution might not meet the expectations of some. I've found the details are presented, just not as forward. Stage and imaging are appropriately placed and instrument location is easy to identify with distinction, much like the SR.

I consider them to be a worthy addition to my collection and suggest others give them a listen.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #124 of 1,050
Quick response

Bass is certainly present and can take a shelf without issue.

The amp matters but I don't know to what degree, as I have only tried the three I own, DAVE headphone out, DNA Stellaris, KG CFA3. I run mine with the CFA3 using the 16ohm input on the T1.

If you find the Oor adequate for the Susvara, then it will be adequate for the CA. My Susvara volume settings are the same levels that I use for the CA to get the same db.

Now for the general sound, which I'll couch with this being subjective. They sound like a stat rather than a planar. In my experience, LCD-5 and Susvara (less so) have a lifted midrange to emphasize details. The CA has less emphasis in this area, so the resolution might not meet the expectations of some. I've found the details are presented, just not as forward. Stage and imaging are appropriately placed and instrument location is easy to identify with distinction, much like the SR.

I consider them to be a worthy addition to my collection and suggest others give them a listen.
Thanks, I see you also landed on Dave + Hqp and got sick of M-scaler, Opto-dx and other stuff. The Monoprice Usb cable is my next step probably, i just have to find something to power it with.
The LCD-5 are definitely TOO mid forward for my tastes. The Susvara do seem just right.
The Oor definitely made the Susvara sound great, but i do prefer my Elites over it. They sound quite similar, but the Elites slam. As a next step i was considering your exact setup :) Eksonic + X9000 with Dave, but since I already got the Oor and Makiah is calling the Raal "close" ,it would be a much easier pill to swallow. I'm just curious how close. Haven't heard an E-stat yet, so I'm not sure what kind of flavor they any of them would bring to the table.

Aug 3, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #125 of 1,050
Thanks, I see you also landed on Dave + Hqp and got sick of M-scaler, Opto-dx and other stuff. The Monoprice Usb cable is my next step probably, i just have to find something to power it with.
The LCD-5 are definitely TOO mid forward for my tastes. The Susvara do seem just right.
The Oor definitely made the Susvara sound great, but i do prefer my Elites over it. They sound quite similar, but the Elites slam. As a next step i was considering your exact setup :) Eksonic + X9000 with Dave, but since I already got the Oor and Makiah is calling the Raal "close" ,it would be a much easier pill to swallow. I'm just curious how close. Haven't heard an E-stat yet, so I'm not sure what kind of flavor they any of them would bring to the table.
Perhaps an easier pill to swallow but like many of us, the FOMO would likely remain and you'd be still tempted. Or not. I think the CA sounds good and aren't the e-stat investment. If they click with you, I'm sure there will be a market once a few more are out in the wild.

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #128 of 1,050
So confirming what Z I use if driving the T1b with a Benchmark AHB2?
I'd try them both. You'll notice which sounds better pretty easily.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #129 of 1,050
So if I have a Lyr2, which I think outputs 6W into 32 ohms and I believe 9W into 16, would I be better off using that to drive the CA-1A, or should I get a Jot R? The price for the transformer box and the Jot R is about the same.

I assume there are adapter cables that come with the transformer box for 1/4 inch TRS?

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #130 of 1,050
So if I have a Lyr2, which I think outputs 6W into 32 ohms and I believe 9W into 16, would I be better off using that to drive the CA-1A, or should I get a Jot R? The price for the transformer box and the Jot R is about the same.

I assume there are adapter cables that come with the transformer box for 1/4 inch TRS?
From what i've read, the T1B doesn't transfer more than 6W into 32 Ohms, so theoretically you would be at the upper limit anyway :)
I've had the some worries regarding the Oor, but since it outputs up to 10w into 32 ohms...no issues.

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #131 of 1,050
From what i've read, the T1B doesn't transfer more than 6W into 32 Ohms, so theoretically you would be at the upper limit anyway :)
I've had the some worries regarding the Oor, but since it outputs up to 10w into 32 ohms...no issues.
Difference between a strained 6W and not.

Reports are it draws a fair whack of power, so something that can easily sustain 3W or so would be ideal.

AHB2 baby!

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #133 of 1,050
The power transfer depends on the frequency.
It transfers 6W at 30Hz, after that, it starts to saturate.

But, saturation with 6W at 30Hz, means it takes 12W at 60Hz to start saturation, or 24W at 120Hz and so on.

Anyhow, an amp with sustainable 6W is quite enough.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back